Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any way to get in the car without waking it up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the title says....

I often have to get in the car to grab something I left behind, etc. Seems like unnecessary wear & a waste of juice for the whole car to wake up, AC start running, etc., just because I opened a door. It also stays awake, sometimes for hours, judging by the vast amount of dashcam vids of my garage that are piling up....

Since the car needs power to open the door (specifically to lower the window as the door is opened), then I would think this is impossible.

Similarly, you can put the car to sleep while in it using the Power Off function, but there is no way to leave the car with waking it ***

*** well, technically this should say "there is no way to open the door without waking it". If you leave the window open and can somehow egress that way without alerting any of the other driver sensors, then congratulations!

• Helpful
Reactions: David.85D
Let's say the car stays awake after you get your items from it, for about an hour

That is about 0.1 kWh which is about $0.10. If you do this once per day, every day, that is $36.50 / year

I get your point and think you probably meant 10 cents per kWh, in which case .1 kWh each day for a year would only cost $3.65...unless where you live actually costs $1 per kWh.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Don't stress over trying to optimize every little thing and enjoy your car.

Over the years Tesla has been working behind the scenes to reduce much of the vampire drain, and will probably continue to do so. Right now there system is pretty efficient.

Turning off your dash cam video while in your garage can also make your car more efficent. Sentry staying alert consumes some juice as well.

They should make the car not wake-up until a butt is in a seat. I don't like that the car wakes up and contactors close every time I open the door or trunk. I made a habit of turning the AC off whenever I park the car so that it doesn't turn on again just because I needed to get something out of the car.

Reactions: 2101Guy
And as soon as they change the car to not wake up until someone sits in the seat, there will be 500 people complaining on TMC and 1,000 tweeters fussing it takes 15 seconds longer for the car to start up and demand an answer why plus want it changed back immediately.

Don't stress over trying to optimize every little thing and enjoy your car.

Not stressing. My concern is more about wear & tear. The "optimization" part involves not wanting to have to change every setting every time I park in the garage just to keep things from turning on/off unnecessarily when I get in the car.

They should make the car not wake-up until a butt is in a seat. I don't like that the car wakes up and contactors close every time I open the door or trunk. I made a habit of turning the AC off whenever I park the car so that it doesn't turn on again just because I needed to get something out of the car.

Bingo! @gavine gets it. I would add "step on the brake," or some other overt action (maybe "press the park button," for those times you want the car on but don't intend to drive anywhere?) to the "butt in seat" trigger. Most times I'm grabbing something out of the car, I'm plopping down into the seat to do it....

In the X, it does not totally wake up untill you sit down and step on the brake (which automatically closes the door and turns on the car)

Yup. Wish the MS was the same way (minus, obviously, closing the door...).

And as soon as they change the car to not wake up until someone sits in the seat, there will be 500 people complaining on TMC and 1,000 tweeters fussing it takes 15 seconds longer for the car to start up and demand an answer why plus want it changed back immediately.

Well, no doubt that THIS is true.... :rolleyes: Still, I wish I could set things up so that the car only comes on when I tell it to. Perhaps a "selection" option in the Vehicle menu? "Car turns on with: 1) Door open (default / current); 2) Driver in seat; 3) Park button pressed; 4) Brake pedal pressed [NOTE: Regardless of selection, car will always turn on with a driver in the seat and brake pedal pressed.]"

(specifically to lower the window as the door is opened)
It isn't just opening the window. The handle doesn't mechanically open the door either, when you "pull it" the car power-pops open a solenoid too! I learned this a couple years ago when a rear door was misadjusted and would open itself whenever I opened the driver's door because it thought someone was pulling that handle.

It isn't just opening the window. The handle doesn't mechanically open the door either, when you "pull it" the car power-pops open a solenoid too! I learned this a couple years ago when a rear door was misadjusted and would open itself whenever I opened the driver's door because it thought someone was pulling that handle.

AIUI (on the MS): The rear doors are electrical in nature (hence the emergency release cables); but the front doors are mechanical (thus no cables). Yes/no??