Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there anyway to limit the performance of a model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking to get a model 3 to share with my son when he goes to school. I thought about just getting him a jetta but I really dont want to buy any more ICE vehicles. Is there anyway to create a different performance dynamics and lock the car in that mode(password protected)? I know if I had a car this fast when I was 16 I will be dead now.
Thank you

Speed Limit Mode

BAE52D5B-CF3A-448B-B301-DA99F9CB7B94.jpeg

I can't wrap my head around buying a car that expensive and powerful for a 16 year old male. Used short range EVs are dirt cheap here in CA but maybe not in other parts of the country? A Spark EV would be a good choice and can be had for less than $10k.
Many EVs, including the Spark, are compliance cars and we're rarely sold outside California and can't get service outside California. Not to say there are not Leafs available, just that used EVs are not ubiquitous outside California.

Since I'm not sure where OP is, my suggestion would be a used Fiat 500e but might not be available

Cheap off lease, pretty quick too.. hmm no slow down mode.. still, pretty cheap, can't really carry 4 adults so limits rear seat distractions..

(We had one as our first EV lease, kinda like my first ... )

Since I'm not sure where OP is, my suggestion would be a used Fiat 500e but might not be available

Cheap off lease, pretty quick too.. hmm no slow down mode.. still, pretty cheap, can't really carry 4 adults so limits rear seat distractions..

(We had one as our first EV lease, kinda like my first ... )

Or a used Leaf. That will limit performance.
Even better, an iMIEV. :)

Reactions: MountainPass
I can't wrap my head around buying a car that expensive and powerful for a 16 year old male. Used short range EVs are dirt cheap here in CA but maybe not in other parts of the country? A Spark EV would be a good choice and can be had for less than $10k.

I understand, but is there any other company committed to EV that is not Tesla? GM just cancel the bolt, VW e-golf range sucks, nissan leaf is just plain ugly(sorry to owners, personal opinion). Toyota just said that there is not really an EV market. Hyundai decided not to bring the Kona yet. I have been researching for a while now. I can buy a jetta for my son for 15K but I just dont want to spend money on an ICE vehicle. And every electric car that is coming seem to be in the $70K range. So Tesla model 3 seem to be the only option to go all electric. Any other options, please share. Thank you.

Reactions: Don TLR
I have two 15 year old kids so I'm thinking about this. Why not a used Volt over a leaf? The battery range is more than enough for school and they actually cool the battery. The Volt also seems to keep the battery voltage in a very safe range at all times. A friend of mine purchased a used one for $7k and I'm impressed that it still has near full range after 150,000 miles. The Leaf battery management seems aweful.