Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there anyway to limit the performance of a model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see two “solutions” to the issue, and neither involves electronically crippling the Model 3.

1- I second (third? Fifth?) the suggestion to get a used LEAF. I still have my 2012 LEAF purchased new almost 7 years ago. KBB shows its worth to be about $6k - $7k and with the exception of its range compared to my LR Model 3, it remains a very good EV. And it has a steering wheel heater, but I digress. Maintenance costs are close to zippo, and I wouldn’t be afraid to have it parked in a high school lot. I liken it to the Model 3 with all the restrictions you seek to implement. I see no downside to this “solution.”

2- Alternatively, if there is no way to dissuade you from giving sonny boy a high-powered expensive vehicle to show off at high school and on every road between there and home, lay down some expectation and some rules the breakage of which results in sale of the vehicle. Also introduce him to the app, and 3rd-party apps like TeslaFi that can show you key parts of the vehicle’s actual usage.

Given my upbringing, I cannot imagine giving a Model 3 to a 16-year-old regardless of supposed maturity levels. That said, can I be your son?

• Funny
Reactions: Candleflame
I have two 15 year old kids so I'm thinking about this. Why not a used Volt over a leaf? The battery range is more than enough for school and they actually cool the battery. The Volt also seems to keep the battery voltage in a very safe range at all times. A friend of mine purchased a used one for $7k and I'm impressed that it still has near full range after 150,000 miles. The Leaf battery management seems aweful.
I've been looking at used Volts because I heard they were fairly safe, but they are a harder to find than the leaf and cost about twice as much.

I understand, but is there any other company committed to EV that is not Tesla? GM just cancel the bolt, VW e-golf range sucks, nissan leaf is just plain ugly(sorry to owners, personal opinion). Toyota just said that there is not really an EV market. Hyundai decided not to bring the Kona yet. I have been researching for a while now. I can buy a jetta for my son for 15K but I just dont want to spend money on an ICE vehicle. And every electric car that is coming seem to be in the $70K range. So Tesla model 3 seem to be the only option to go all electric. Any other options, please share. Thank you.

GM did not cancel the Bolt. They cancelled the Volt.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I can't wrap my head around buying a car that expensive and powerful for a 16 year old male.
As an aside, I'd like to welcome you to the 21st century. Based on sod-tossed doughnuts ripped in the backyard by the golf cart, I'm far more worried about my daughter than her brothers. :p

-- -- -- -- --

Different kids are different so tough to make a blanket statement; However if you're worried at all about your son's judgement, without the Chill Mode lock-in yet I think another path would be better for all concerned. In an urban environment it's acceleration to 50mph is plenty to get yourself in all sorts of trouble. Far less chance of self-termination due to impact at that speed of course, but still plenty enough for fatality for pedestrians and writing off the vehicle.

One thing I have considered, since we ended up selling off our ICE and the college kid is near getting his license, is there are some bargain basement prices to be found on more modest BEVs. Depends on your location in the US, in CARB states the choices are more plentiful, but even here in TX Smart 4two EDs can be found in the $5K-$7K range (and yes, I'd put my kid in one 2014 Smart Fortwo ).

The tricky thing with Smart EDs specifically is that most of the time their battery pack is "on lease". However it appears BMW has given up trying to collect on these, so you just buy a 4-year old car and treat it as an outright purchase. Check around in the Smart communities and EV communities online for details on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaguar
I understand, but is there any other company committed to EV that is not Tesla? GM just cancel the bolt, VW e-golf range sucks, nissan leaf is just plain ugly(sorry to owners, personal opinion). Toyota just said that there is not really an EV market. Hyundai decided not to bring the Kona yet. I have been researching for a while now. I can buy a jetta for my son for 15K but I just dont want to spend money on an ICE vehicle. And every electric car that is coming seem to be in the $70K range. So Tesla model 3 seem to be the only option to go all electric. Any other options, please share. Thank you.

I still don't think that this is an appropriate car for a young person but the Hyundai Ioniq is a beast of a car only really let down by it's slightly small battery (which is still ok though). Not sure what charging solution it uses in the usa as CSS doesnt exist there. Cheaper than a Model 3 too.

Or just tell him to cycle to school....

edit: Just noticed CSS coverage is actually decent in USA.

It isn't, yet, outside the main East/West Coast corridors.

Electrify America is in the process of building out the first real national skeleton, but that's another story: Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?
It isn't, yet, outside the main East/West Coast corridors.

Electrify America is in the process of building out the first real national skeleton, but that's another story: Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

yeah hmm... looked ok on the map but forgot how big the usa are... Measured the distance between the chargers in the midlands and it was like 600 miles haha.

My belief is a Tesla is way too much vehicle for a young male. When I was a kid we did some really stupid things in our cars. I remember racing through Redwood Rd from Castro Valley to Oakland (google it if you aren't familiar with it)every weekend holding 55-65mph the entire way. It is amazing we didn't kill ourselves or someone else. This was back in the 80s when there were less people on the road.

My plan is to buy a slower vehicle for my boys when they can drive. I like the safety of a Tesla but the speed is asking for problems, even in chill mode. The rule in my house, one moving violation you are walking.

I think it was the volt GM cancelled. That was the hybrid version. The Bolt is fully electric. The new Nissan leaf is also a good car as is the Hyundai Kona. I wouldn't say the Tesla is the Only electric car out there.