Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there backup warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
I accidentally backed up into a car behind me tonight. Thankfully no damage.But I was surprised a warning chime or dash signal did not appear.

I know when I move forward into my garage all sorts of warning sounds are played and the car says "stop" and gives me a distance read out..

Do I have something turned off or is there a switch or ...?

Thanks. Car was picked up May 2018.

Definitely should alert on all sides with ultrasonics. To amplify when I back into a spot with the camera the car screams at me to stop when I get too close to something, same as in the front. If there’s no obstruction on your rear bumper etc. I’d have it checked out.

May want to reboot to see if that helps (normal two scroll wheels).

I took update to 2018.26 on Thursday. I think this broke the chime. Looks both front and rear sensors warning chimes are disabled.

Digging around on the menus I found the parking assist chime, and it was set to off. I turned it on and a slow bong plays unlike the increasing frequency bing-ing of the distance sensors

do you not have a backup camera?

Sure. Unfortunately I have gotten a bit out the habit of looking at it since I have it on all the time when I drive to help mitigate the blind spots. But having the chime has alerted me to look at the screen when there is an conflict when backing up.

Also, the Tesla system is quite inferior compared to my other cars, especially the BMW. It has cameras that show backup with distance color coded, and chimes. Also it has a bird's eye view which is great for parallel parking. And it has cameras on the nose facing left and right so you can nose out of a driveway where the left and right are blocked by parked cars and still look down the street for oncoming traffic, bicyclists and joggers.

Sure. Unfortunately I have gotten a bit out the habit of looking at it since I have it on all the time when I drive to help mitigate the blind spots. But having the chime has alerted me to look at the screen when there is an conflict when backing up.

Also, the Tesla system is quite inferior compared to my other cars, especially the BMW. It has cameras that show backup with distance color coded, and chimes. Also it has a bird's eye view which is great for parallel parking. And it has cameras on the nose facing left and right so you can nose out of a driveway where the left and right are blocked by parked cars and still look down the street for oncoming traffic, bicyclists and joggers.

That's quality tech there, backed by years of R&D that Tesla doesn't have yet.