Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there some "Caravana-sniping" function I am unaware of??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering, it seems uncanny the accuracy and consistency with which every single potential model S they list in my price range (admittedly not unlimited) shows "purchase in progress" even before I am aware of its existence. Vroom is just as bad, they'll send me an email and even if I click on it immediately it already shows purchase pending...

I remember there was something people used for ebay bidding; there must be something similar? Or it could be that I am literally worse at this than everyone else on the planet, which can't be ruled out with current data.

/rant

Yeah not my first preference either, but keeping an eye on everything at my disposal. Ideally, I’d prefer something here on the forum or private party local, but it seems beggars can’t be choosers in this market.

I had a line on a really nice one at a local Porsche lot, but alas was too slow to act (my fault on that one).

it does seem harder than it used to be to search for a car and see stuff at all the local dealers… most of the big-name car search sites end up with the same batch of ads from Carvana and vroom (always unavailable) and the 2 or 3 local high-volume used Tesla dealerships. I think there are some good deals to be had on the preowned lots at the other manufacturers, but they rarely show up in searches (I guess they don’t pay cars.com, CarGurus, etc)

Don’t know if there still out there. Last I checked Enterprise usually had some Model S for sale. Prices were actually good but there was also notable wear on touch points like window switches, door handles, steering wheel. All of which could be taken care of and at the time was still good deal considering pricing. Most people don’t know to check Enterprise so they typically don’t turn often.

Just somewhere else to check. Try some of the other rental places as well.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Tforme and ayavner
Using them as well… not in a huge hurry I guess, other than I wish I’d done it a year ago, and prices aren’t going in the right direction. Most sites like that seem to net me about 50 results once I throw in a couple of filters. Again mostly Carvana or vroom, with the rest mostly ottosource or autocentrix. I probably need to be less picky.

my OP was mostly tongue-in-cheek, I am in far North Tx, so it’s a 120 mile round trip when I want to go see a couple in Dallas, only to find out the paint is all but scoured off, or other issues, hence why I was eyeing the online places. they seem to have good standards and a good guarantee if it isn’t as advertised, though I have heard mixed stories.

one day soon, I hope!!

Seriously wonder if dealers are jumping on Teslas on Carvana and the like. I’m guessing there’s a script that could be written to snipe these once they become available because like the OP, I was getting really annoyed when a Tesla would be scooped up minutes after I got my alert email.

Reactions: ayavner
I found my Model X on Autotrader recently.

The thing I would do is setup a search you can call back up later, and sort by showing the newest postings/updates. I was checking a couple of times a day looking for the right deal, and eventually found it that way.

Also, Carvana seems like kind of a joke in general. Don't count on them to have a proper list of options/features when you get into vehicles like Teslas.

• Informative
I've been foolishly hoping since March that prices would decrease, only to realize that prices are seasonal and spike in summer. Combining that and the decreased supply of both new and used, lower interest rates, higher gas prices, and the preference for car travel during the pandemic, and it's been a crazy summer for prices. Unfortunately it doesn't show too many signs of slowing down.

Though, historically, it does seem that prices tend to weaken from November through March, before they pick up again. It's probably foolish to buy now, because by the end of next year most companies will hopefully be pumping out new cars and there will hopefully be a lot of both new and used on the market. Plus the chance that interest rates will be higher, the stock market might be lower, or there could be a recession, etc. But if you need to buy before then, March seems to be a good month to buy, price-wise. I'd also recommend checking craigslist, eBay, and facebook marketplace.

• Informative
I believe both Vroom and Carvana try to start a sale once you start the paperwork on selling the car to them. In my case it took ~3 weeks for Vroom from starting the paper to them picking the car up, that was a lot of time for them to try to do a sale to a dealer or fleet or something. I wouldn't be surprised if Carvana does the same thing. In fact, when I got a hold of Vroom to ask about what happens if I went over the miles by about 50 miles (because they were taking SOOO long to pick up the car) they said "The buyer has already agreed to the milage, you can't go over XYZ or we'll have to contact the buyer again and make sure they're ok with it."

The XYZ was 70 miles or so more than what Vroom had contracted with me so I was fine...

• Informative
Reactions: Tforme and ayavner
LOL!!

4:31 - email notification from Vroom about a 2016.5 90D
4:31:000000005 - click on link: "Sale Pending". 😑

Just curious, is it better to buy from Vroom that to buy one of the dealer or private sales of 2016.5 90D's that are currently for sale? Is Vroom a better price? I was under the impression that you wouldn't necessarily know what options or condition you would get with Vroom - but you can verify these in the other cases. Including knowing whether free supercharging and data will transfer (the main reason to buy 2016.5, I think).