Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there such a thing as a tire upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a new inventory car this weekend and the screenshot the OA gave me showed "19 inch Michelin Primacy Upgrade". When I picked up the car, that was not listed on the sheet and they said there was no such thing. The vin number matched and they said maybe they changed tire supplier and that there is no way to change those tires since they don't even carry them. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 59
The Michelin Primacy tire was an official option in earlier years, so the salesperson is somewhat mistaken in saying there was no such thing. Many folks on this forum have Primacy tires. Looks most likely to be some type of error with Tesla's online configurator referencing an outdated option.

Reactions: davidc18
My order said the same thing and the MVPA said nothing about it as well nor did the my tesla build info. Thanks for the info, I am still waiting to get my car. Hopefully this week??
Thanks again

So what tires are actually on your S?? Up until recently, the standard tire was in fact the 19" Michelin Primacy. More recently some S have shipped with a new Goodyear Eagle Touring tire with a foam liner (quieter).

I picked up my 90D yesterday at the factory. This was an inventory purchase vs. a custom order and the car had 15 miles on it at pickup. In the quote, it specified the Primacy tire upgrade but I just went out and looked and it has the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires.

Basically all current production seems to have the Eagle Touring as the standard OEM 19s. Note that originally the S came with a version of a Goodyear Eagle RS all-season tire....not great, but OK at that time. My 2013 has them...and since they are now so cheap, when I needed to replace them at about 23k miles, I just bought another set. At some point TM offered the Michelin Primacy LRR touring tire as a paid upgrade (better 'mileage', better tire wear), then made it the standard OEM tire (my wife's 2015 has them). Earlier this year TM phased out the Primacy for the new 'custom' Eagle Touring with the foam liner. No-one has any info on wear/mileage. Also many tire shops (including Goodyear) haven't seen it and don't know how to patch/repair it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1tsla
Basically all current production seems to have the Eagle Touring as the standard OEM 19s. Note that originally the S came with a version of a Goodyear Eagle RS all-season tire....not great, but OK at that time. My 2013 has them...and since they are now so cheap, when I needed to replace them at about 23k miles, I just bought another set. At some point TM offered the Michelin Primacy LRR touring tire as a paid upgrade (better 'mileage', better tire wear), then made it the standard OEM tire (my wife's 2015 has them). Earlier this year TM phased out the Primacy for the new 'custom' Eagle Touring with the foam liner. No-one has any info on wear/mileage. Also many tire shops (including Goodyear) haven't seen it and don't know how to patch/repair it.
Did anyone's Model S come with literature from the tire manufacturer? All previous authomobiles had tire manufacturer information in the glove box, mine had none.