Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a good deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked to Tesla owner who's selling his M3 RWD, silver, 1/18 build, 30k miles, with FSD. 19" wheels. Price is 43k.

Is this a good price? What should I negotiate down to since this is an early build with lots miles on it?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Are there any benefits to these early builds?

For that high of mileage and almost 18-month old vehicle, it shouldn't be a dollar more than $35000

Just for comparison, identical config with FSD, inventory with 0 miles, was selling for around 48K at the end of last quarter.

Now minus the tax credit, and add 25-30% discount for such high mileage (and old build) and you get ballpark value.

Reactions: SoManyM3s
Used Model 3s are all way overpriced right now. While KCapital is right in principle that $43k is too much, this is one of the lower prices I have seen for a used long range M3, especially with FSD. The prices for used M3 will drop significantly when the Model Y comes out, just like the used Model S prices dropped a lot when the Model 3 came out. Tesla owners like to have the newest tech regardless of the model. If you need a car now, I would buy a new or inventory Model 3 that is in your price range. If you can wait a year or so, prices for M3 will be drastically different, which is something to keep in mind for your own resale value if you buy now.

Some early builds did have flaws, but not all had problems. If you get this car, I would do a careful inspection and have the owner provide the Tesla service records. One last thought, with 30k miles the owner has burned though most of your warranty. You may need this even more with an early build, which is why I recommend buying new yourself, but if you want THIS car, see if the owner can purchase a Tesla extended warranty for you at his expense.

Reactions: SoManyM3s
For that high of mileage and almost 18-month old vehicle, it shouldn't be a dollar more than $35000

Just for comparison, identical config with FSD, inventory with 0 miles, was selling for around 48K at the end of last quarter.

Now minus the tax credit, and add 25-30% discount for such high mileage (and old build) and you get ballpark value.
I think the end of quarter price was 43k+2k autopilot +5k fsd+1.5k pain +1.5 rims.. so price new would've been 53k. So 10k off, for 1.5 years and 30k. I guess it does seem not enough. But doesn't 35k seem too harsh?

I think the end of quarter price was 43k+2k autopilot +5k fsd+1.5k pain +1.5 rims.. so price new would've been 53k. So 10k off, for 1.5 years and 30k. I guess it does seem not enough. But doesn't 35k seem too harsh?

I mean... who cares.... his car is worth what someone will pay. Offer him 35k if that's what you're comfortable paying and go from there. Maybe you're way off in his book and that's ok. This is the beauty of a quality car forums that help people so they don't get railroaded on prices by providing comps and feedback as people have already done above. GL in your search!

My way of valuation is similar to calculating the residual value as if it was on the lease for10K miles/year for 3 years. I accounted for about 54% of the price as residual value and gave the 18% bonus credit for it being 18 month old instead of 3 years (it is apples to apples on mile usage for 3-year lease). So depreciated 28% for 30K mile/18 month usage. So numbers came at $53K - 7.5K federal rebate = 46.5K. 70% of 46.5K = $33.5K