Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Is it worth buying a 2019 M3P in 2023?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2022 MYLR is more efficient than our 2019 M3P, which I find a testament to design improvements during that time. I have assumed a newer M3 variant would similarly have better efficiency than the older ones.
Yes I would expect that as well. Having had a 2019 LR and now a 2022 MY. I am not seeing much difference in efficiency. So I would expect the MY to be more efficient than an M3P of the same age.
In summer I think the 2019 M3 LR is a little more efficient than the MY on a road trip but the MY has a bigger battery so overall it goes a bit further I feel based on my experiences though I don't really do that many long journeys these days. There is not much in it though
In Winter I expect the heat pump will give the MY the advantage.

Thank you everyone for your replies

It's been invaluable getting so many different viewpoints and opinions and has really helped with the decision process. I've learned a lot in a very short space of time.

I've decided to hold off for now and maybe revisit my options 6-12 months from now. There's a great community here and when I do finally take the plunge I'll be glad to be a part of it.

Best seasonal wishes to all 🎄🎅

Probably a good idea. By that point Highland M3s will be out and prices will presumabky soften even more on older cars.

As much as it pains me to say it - if I were in your shoes I'd be looking at 2021 on Made in China (MIC) cars, simply because of the many evolutionary changes. China cars are much less hit and miss too, build quality wise. Made in America (MIA) cars can be good, I've got a good one, but there is a much wider spectrum of quality (although to be fair it can mostly be resolved under warranty, and you'd like to think the previous owner already has).

I would also caveat the above by saying that there are some things that have been taken away over the years, and some things that have been fixed. Notably, I think it was 2022 when Tesla fixed the orange bloom blowing out the "blind spot feature" video feeds at night. 2022 was also when Tesla started stripping things - passenger lumbar, USB data in the console, etc.. and rumour has it some materials are lower in quality.

Just in case your wondering what the "Orange Bloom" is that @Durzel is referring to - Pre 2022 cars had a different circuit board within the front wing rear facing cameras. The board had three holes for components but a component was never used - so its three tiny but open holes. When the software was updated to include a picture within picture on the main screen of the rear facing cameras when the indicators were used the light from the indicator bleeds through these three holes - and the cameras pick that up - so at night when you indicate you get flashing orange over the entire view, you can replace the cameras or google the issue and there is a diy fix.

Reactions: Rustybkts
Just in case your wondering what the "Orange Bloom" is that @Durzel is referring to - Pre 2022 cars had a different circuit board within the front wing rear facing cameras. The board had three holes for components but a component was never used - so its three tiny but open holes. When the software was updated to include a picture within picture on the main screen of the rear facing cameras when the indicators were used the light from the indicator bleeds through these three holes - and the cameras pick that up - so at night when you indicate you get flashing orange over the entire view, you can replace the cameras or google the issue and there is a diy fix.

This is what it looks like in action.

It basically made the blind spot feature unusable for me at night.

I personally don’t find the blind spot view useful. I’d rather use the mirror.

NoA brings (or used to, I haven't been on a journey that needed it for quite a while) the blindspot mini-picture on, when it wants to take an exit. I find that useful as I am typically sailing along in a daze, having ignored all the ever more insistent announcements to "take the next exit", and looking at screen to see what the NoA alert is about I also glance at the blindspot picture.

It was clever as an afterthought software retrofit, but I expect that a warning light on wingmirror would be better (whether the one Tesla are fitting "somewhere in your eyeline" works as well I haven't experienced, but I've read that it is a compromise.

Hi all,

I've recently test driven a 2020 M3P demonstrator at a Tesla dealership and was impressed with the car

I'm interested in a used approved 2019 M3P - there are a good number of used listings with 20-30K miles on them going around the £30K or less mark

I've read a lot since becoming interested in these cars on things like build quality and battery wear/charging habits. I'm also aware that Tesla offers 8 years or 120K miles on the battery and drivetrain, half of which would be left once purchased. Additionally you get a 1 year/10K limited warranty.

I'm looking for opinions on whether this would be a sensible choice in 2023 or if I'm asking for trouble given the age and unavailability of information on how the car's been treated by previous owner/s. I know they're meant to be checked thoroughly by the dealerships prior to delivery. I'd welcome other peoples experiences in a similar situation.

I appreciate any advice or suggestions 😊

The only reason I would be looking at a lower mileage car would be to keep it in warranty, for a 2019 P then I would expect a non Tesla dealer to sell for around £22-£24k and for a 2020 in warranty I would expect around £23-£26k.

I always thought about getting a used car from Tesla for that 1 year warranty but their mark ups have recently been a lot higher than other dealers, the bonus is you often get enhanced autopilot and a 1 year warranty with the cars