Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a legit site?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you both so much!
I am afraid I entered my Tesla details and driving licence into it.....

The site seems to have been taken down already. The domain does not look like it has been registered to the real Tesla Motors. The wayback machine shows it has been parked since at least 2008, and seems to have gone through a change in late 2018.

As others have said, the most important thing is to immediately change any passwords you have entered into that site (in particular, your tesla.com password). Also, if you use that same password on any other popular sites (facebook, gmail, etc), you should change those as well. Not sure what you can do about the driving license details, as it really depends on what specifically you entered.

You should note down as much you can remember of what you saw on the site, and what specifically you entered into it. If you have the site still up on your screen, then please take screenshots. The 'back' button on your browser may allow you to go back and see it (so you can take screenshots).

>>I think I may have found what you were talking about initially:
User login | Tesla Service
This is a live site and asks for login details.
Not sure whether this one is legit - i'll be reporting this to them.<<

That's strange: the site seems to give a different page to the one I used initially.

I'm not a hacker; is it possible to "hijack" a site and transfer any inquiries/details through it to the legit site while recording them? the site appears to be registered to WALLACE, PHILLIP JOHN, at least initially!

>>I think I may have found what you were talking about initially:
Not sure whether this one is legit - i'll be reporting this to them.<<

That's strange: the site seems to give a different page to the one I used initially.

I'm not a hacker; is it possible to "hijack" a site and transfer any inquiries/details through it to the legit site while recording them? the site appears to be registered to WALLACE, PHILLIP JOHN, at least initially!
What they usually do is make a webpage that looks similar to the one we're all used to and then register a domain name that is close to the one that you expect. When most people get a link to something they click on it and never bother checking the URL address at the top. If it looks the same they enter details - that's how they get your email and password

I think I may have found what you were talking about initially:

Not sure whether this one is legit - i'll be reporting this to them.

The teslamotors (dot) com site is legitimate. That is the what was used before they got the domain tesla.com. The service (dot) teslamotors (dot) com is simply a sub-domain of that (under the control of the parent domain).

The teslamotors (dot) com site is legitimate. That is the what was used before they got the domain tesla.com. The service (dot) teslamotors (dot) com is simply a sub-domain of that (under the control of the parent domain).
The site referenced is NOT teslamotors.com. @Wol747 was concerned about teslamotors.com.au is definitely not legitimate nor is it a domain of any legitimate Tesla web service.

• Helpful
Reactions: paulp
Tried again a moment ago. Still alive and well! Rather alive with big Google warning (your connection is not private, etc.etc. NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID). Did you use the .com.au extension as per the original post? I checked in Australia. If in another country, is it possible the site is blocked by, say, your local telecom?
I’m either in Adelaide Australia or on mars. You can choose the correct answer.
It doesnt work on my ipad. Safari must block it.

I’m either in Adelaide Australia or on mars. You can choose the correct answer.
It doesnt work on my ipad. Safari must block it.
A few moments ago. Still alive and kicking (sorry, didn't check your location)
upload_2019-8-22_22-15-15.png

The site referenced is NOT teslamotors.com. @Wol747 was concerned about teslamotors.com.au is definitely not legitimate nor is it a domain of any legitimate Tesla web service.

I was replying to stedes and his reference to service (dot) teslamotors (dot) com.

Is this a legit site?

Not so. Still operational a couple of minutes ago. (Thursday, 22 Aug, 17:20 ASET)

Strange. Not reachable for me. I even tried some VPN endpoints in Australia. But given that DNS lookups fail, I don't see how this is working. Can you send some screenshots of the site?

Code:
$ dig A www.teslamotors.com.au

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> A www.teslamotors.com.au
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 11159
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.teslamotors.com.au.        IN    A

;; Query time: 828 msec
;; SERVER: (redacted)
;; WHEN: Fri Aug 23 08:58:55 HKT 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 51

$ dig A teslamotors.com.au

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> A teslamotors.com.au
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 35629
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;teslamotors.com.au.        IN    A

;; Query time: 647 msec
;; SERVER: (redacted)
;; WHEN: Fri Aug 23 08:59:00 HKT 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 47

What address ("A" record) do you have for them? Maybe your ISP has cached the DNS.

Last edited: