Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this acceptable leather condition for inventory car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is not normal seat wear for 4k miles! I would not take delivery of a car like that, sold as new. My car has nearly 40k miles and the driver's seat doesn't look that bad.
Should consider the fact that the car was most likely a showroom car that had thousands of people climbing in and out of it. That stretches the covering on the side bolsters much faster than just one person using it as a daily driver.

Reactions: jaguar36
Geez, these inventory cars look somewhat messy. This is not the first time this type of things has come up. I get that these have 4K miles, with a reasonable discount. The problem lies with labeling them as 'new' (so the fed credit can be claimed), when they aren't truly new. I think it's fair for Tesla to sell these new As-Is, but they should really disclose everything, show the buyer lots of pictures, and allow them to make a good educated decision before holding them to the contract that comes with the deposit. For inventory, they should stop showing CGI representations of a brand new car, and allow them to see what the car truly looks.

Reactions: rjdoc74
UPDATE FOR THOSE WHO CARE (copy from another thread):

This past Saturday I refused delivery of an inventory vehicle. It had 4000 miles on it and came with a good price adjustment. I was ready to accept imperfections knowing I am getting a discount, but when I inspected the car I just couldn’t accept it.

- I took delivery at Marina Del Rey delivery center and was very unimpressed. My DS was a young women who knew less about Tesla than I did. She was annoyed when I pulled out my check list and wouldn’t leave me alone to inspect the car even for a second. She kept asking me why was I doing this since I already paid for the car (I didn’t).

- The car was not prepped for delivery at all. They just washed it. Still had dried up coke in the cup holder. Dirty fingerprints on the lower dash. Curb rash on both front wheels. Driver’s seat was so creased and dirty it looked like car had 70,000 miles on it.

- upper panels above the front windows were misaligned by about 1/2 inch. It was so aymmetric on both sides it looked like the car was in an accident.

- gaps between sides of the lower bumper were big enough to stick my pinky in them. And on and on.

When I pointed all this out to my DS, she really didn’t know what to do and said she would call the manager. He came out, also seemed very annoyed. He pretty much said that the service center will try to fix some of the issues but of course there are no guarantees. In the end, I refused delivery.

This was going to be my second model X. I bought my first in 2016 and it was bought back by Tesla this past February for multiple defects and nearly 2 months at the service center. So I lost Tesla lottery twice now. I want another model X, but honestly not sure what to do at this point.

This past Saturday I refused delivery of an inventory vehicle. It had 4000 miles on it and came with a good price adjustment. I was ready to accept imperfections knowing I am getting a discount, but when I inspected the car I just couldn’t accept it.

- I took delivery at Marina Del Rey delivery center and was very unimpressed. My DS was a young women who knew less about Tesla than I did. She was annoyed when I pulled out my check list and wouldn’t leave me alone to inspect the car even for a second. She kept asking me why was I doing this since I already paid for the car (I didn’t).

- The car was not prepped for delivery at all. They just washed it. Still had dried up coke in the cup holder. Dirty fingerprints on the lower dash. Curb rash on both front wheels. Driver’s seat was so creased and dirty it looked like car had 70,000 miles on it.

- upper panels above the front windows were misaligned by about 1/2 inch. It was so aymmetric on both sides it looked like the car was in an accident.

- gaps between sides of the lower bumper were big enough to stick my pinky in them. And on and on.

When I pointed all this out to my DS, she really didn’t know what to do and said she would call the manager. He came out, also seemed very annoyed. He pretty much said that the service center will try to fix some of the issues but of course there are no guarantees. In the end, I refused delivery.

This was going to be my second model X. I bought my first in 2016 and it was bought back by Tesla this past February for multiple defects and nearly 2 months at the service center. So I lost Tesla lottery twice now. I want another model X, but honestly not sure what to do at this point.
The thing about their so-called DS is full of BS.
All they did is to meet you and hand you over to another person to finish the paperwork.

What so special about their job?

And talking about reconditioning to be as new, what a joke.
When took delivery of our cpo, they pushed to have the paperwork done first but I said I wanted to check the car just in case.
Yes, the did wash the car but that’s about it.
Our car was resided Ins Arizona previously and got tons of rock chips.
I said...you either fix it to our satisfactory or we walk right now.
Well, the DS asked the service manager to come and see what they can do and the SM agreed to fix those.
The DS then said their service people will call us to schedule an appointment.
Guess what? They never called and so we had to call them instead.

Long story short, this is our first Tesla and will be the last.

The thing about their so-called DS is full of BS.
All they did is to meet you and hand you over to another person to finish the paperwork.

What so special about their job?

And talking about reconditioning to be as new, what a joke.
When took delivery of our cpo, they pushed to have the paperwork done first but I said I wanted to check the car just in case.
Yes, the did wash the car but that’s about it.
Our car was resided Ins Arizona previously and got tons of rock chips.
I said...you either fix it to our satisfactory or we walk right now.
Well, the DS asked the service manager to come and see what they can do and the SM agreed to fix those.
The DS then said their service people will call us to schedule an appointment.
Guess what? They never called and so we had to call them instead.

Long story short, this is our first Tesla and will be the last.

Sounds like we had a very similar experience :)

Escalate. Deal with nobody below district or, preferably, state level. You'll reach a limit with the district manager, so be sure to know who the state contact is. A message to JonMc (Jerome II) or to Jerome has been the catalyst in the past. Evidently there is no Jerome III yet, so.... good luck but the point remains.

As an aside, I'm in the process of drafting my "After a year of ownership of a second Model S" letter, and it pulls no punches. Suffice it to say, other than replacing my AP2 car with an AP1 car out of safety concerns as much as anything else, I have zero plans to own another Tesla unless and until there is a suitable full-size pickup (what I've dubbed the F350-Killer) with actual FSD. And if it's not a Tesla, then fine - they've lost the word of mouth and brand loyalty from me already, and that's just a shame.

Last edited:
Escalate. Deal with nobody below district or, preferably, state level. You'll reach a limit with the district manager, so be sure to know who the state contact is. A message to JonMc (Jerome II) or to Jerome has been the catalyst in the past. Evidently there is no Jerome III yet, so.... good luck but the point remains.

As an aside, I'm in the process of drafting my "After a year of ownership of a second Model S" letter, and it pulls no punches. Suffice it to say, other than replacing my AP2 car with an AP1 car out of safety concerns as much as anything else, I have zero plans to own another Tesla unless and until there is a suitable full-size pickup (what I've dubbed the F350-Killer) with actual FSD. And if it's not a Tesla, then fine - they've lost the word of mouth and brand loyalty from me already, and that's just a shame.

I am very used to escalating. My first 2016 inventory AP1 MX took 3 plus months to get delivered instead of promised 2-3 weeks. I escalated all the way to NA head of sales Ganesh Srivats. In my current case however there is really nothing to escalate since I refused delivery and my order was cancelled. Not really sure what to do at this point.