Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this commute doable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3P scheduled for imminent delivery, home charger is lagging behind (no installation date yet)

Round trip to work is 105mi, moderate elevation shift, current temps about 10°C.

There's a 7kw charger at work, but, there's a 5 hour limit... Am I likely to need additional charging?

Reactions: jbcarioca
If you can count on always getting the work charger for the full five hours, you should be fine.

That’s 35 kWh per day, which means you’d have to average less than 333 Wh/mile including charging losses and vampire drain - easy in a 3.

If you can’t count on always getting the charger for the full period, you’ll definitely want a backup plan.

105 miles? No problem at all once you get the HPWC at home. Until then, with 120v, you may not be able to recharge completely at 3-5mph (so you will need either a supercharger or your work charting at least one day during the week.

Being a new owner, don’t stress it but that’s easy for me to say. Get your HPWC scheduled ASAP but in the meantime just use the supercharger if you have to. Having the work charger available should make this unnecessary and a cheap alternative so I don’t think you will have any issues.

Reactions: Tessaract
If you can count on always getting the work charger for the full five hours, you should be fine.

That’s 35 kWh per day, which means you’d have to average less than 333 Wh/mile including charging losses and vampire drain - easy in a 3.

If you can’t count on always getting the charger for the full period, you’ll definitely want a backup plan.
Note that the UK always uses 230V and not 208V, which helps.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Round trip to work is 105mi, moderate elevation shift, current temps about 10°C.

I do that trip in the SR+ with no destination charging.

As the 5 hour limit on the 7kw charger, while you wait for the home install, it will not be enough. Maybe for 1 trip, but you will gradually loose % charge if that is your only source. You may be able to make the difference with 2.3kw UK domestic plug that is included with the Model 3.

Get going with the home charger, and learn where your superchargers are.

Note that the UK always uses 230V and not 208V, which helps.

You are replying to delaware. We have 240v. I hear that Canada has 240v in your detached homes as well.

See comment at 4:14 about wiring houses different than apartments.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your quick replies,

Superchargers are not present. I'd have to either drive about 10 miles past work in the morning, or 10 miles past home on the evening, I must literally be in the worst place in the country for supercharging....

Nobody mentions speed. From Bradford I don't know whether you're on Motorways for your commute or not. Even if you drive a steady 80 MPH you'll be fine unless the weather is inclement and unusually cold, but then you'll not be driving 80 MPH, will you?

I would routinely make a full change prior to leaving home, just in case you do something unusual. You should never have a problem. When, a few months from now, better charging options appear during your day, you can reduce your charge overnight.

Enjoy your commute! FWIW I have driven many long trips with my M3P, some of them at fairly high speed by UK standards. I have never had less than an easy 200 miles, even in snow and cold hilly conditions.

Finally there have been Superchargers allegedly under construction for more than two years on both the Northbound and Southbound sides of the M62 at Brighouse. I suppose nobody knows when they will actually happen. In the meantime you are in a rare Supercharger desert.:( I'm modestly familiar, I used to frequent Leeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your quick replies,

Superchargers are not present. I'd have to either drive about 10 miles past work in the morning, or 10 miles past home on the evening, I must literally be in the worst place in the country for supercharging....

Download plugshare and look for other DC chargers. You should be able to find 3rd party chargers that does 50kw or so. So during some lunch breaks you can charge up there

If you always charge it 2.3kw at home, and always charge it at 7kw at work, you can probably survive with an occasional stop or 2 to top up with fast or superchargers

With temps around 10C you'll see approximately a 20-35% hit compared to rated range.

On 7kW, 6.5kW or so will actually reach your battery (assuming you're not using things that use climate control during this time). For 5 hours, that means you gain 32.5kWh (about 43%). That amount of energy, in the cold can get you about 104mi (assuming about 312Wh/mi in these conditions, assuming you're using the heating). That's pretty dang close to your 105mi round trip requirement!

So it's doable, but I expect you'll have a slow drain over the week if that's your only charging. We had a similar experience when we first got ours (plugging in at all times at home was just barely not enough to cover going to work and back). You'll have additional losses for other trips (e.g. groceries), standby (if parked outside, this might be a lot), and more if you want Sentry or Summon Standby enabled.

We found it not too bad to supplement a slowly decreasing charge throughout the week with trips to town for lunch, coffee, etc. that had public chargers nearby. If this isn't how you do life already, then see if a grocery store or something else you frequent has charging stations nearby. I recommend checking out PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You and checking what's in your area.

tl;dr version: Yes, likely need additional charging, but not much.

M3P scheduled for imminent delivery, home charger is lagging behind (no installation date yet)

There's a 7kw charger at work, but, there's a 5 hour limit... Am I likely to need additional charging?
Put your route, the temp and the speed into ABRP, abetterrouteplanner.com. It'll give you a good idea of whether you should charge or not. Having said that, you shouldn't have any trouble.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H