Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this for real? Passport and driving license upload or you can drive your tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1717853268779.png

Had the same email, I would contact them to check if it's legit and why they need this if it is, but I can no longer find anyway to get in touch with them so will just ignore it until I know more.

I do think the unsolicited email did originate from Tesla as the email sender verification passes, though I don't suggest responding to it without a resonable explanation.

Since it does appear to be those that had/have a form of finance (direct?) from Tesla, (if genuine) the regulator would be the Financial Conduct Authority. If so, this would be related to Know Your Customer and Anti Money Laundering requirements. As others have said, they should know this from when the finance was approved and they have reason to retain this information. I've never received an unsolicited request for a "new" copy from any other financial organisation, e.g. my bank.

The FCA has been probing car loan firms recently because of the hot topic of historical discresionary commission arangements.

Alternatively, but this is pure congenture as I've not found reference to the court cases, but there are reports that Tesla Finance have been unable to supply driver information to the police for those leasing. Speeding Tesla drivers swerving justice as Musk's firm fails to name them to police

These do converge on the possibility Tesla have not retained the evidential information they are required to.

Reactions: HenryT
I thought you’d died in one of the hundreds of plane crashes in Burkina Faso and left me your millions. That why I didn’t get any money 😂

aha - fake news - I guess I must have survived (wife needed somebody to nag apparently).

So if you haven't got my millions - I would love to help. I'll ask my Nigerian cousin to get in touch for the bank details.
Don't worry if he asks you for a deposit, it is just to authenticate the account first. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Dilly
They literally have our bank details.. them not naming people is more policy than ability, I suspect.

Wouldn't explain why people not on lease would be emailed either, or the extreme brevity of it.

Regarding the not namimg people, this might be policy albeit a very suspicious policy and clearly wrong since it's reported Tesla Finance were fined by the courts. But I did not intend the focus to be on this, the reason is not my point.

It simply draws attention towards a company, if they can't do that correctly then what else are they not doing correctly. This isn't what I proposed is the root cause of asking for this information, the email does state "regulation". I'm simply saying these other reports shine another light onto the same organisation.

The FCA doesn't have time and resources to continuously investigate every financial organisation in the UK, they focus their attention to where they have the most suspicion. If I were the FCA and I read reports of Tesla Finance not providing customer information for a police investigation, I should be suspicious regardless of excuse.

Combine this with any other investation the FCA are doing, maybe they found something that wasn't quite right.

I started on a new PCP for an M3 LR on 5th June and also got the email. CA Auto Finance had copies of my ID docs for their AML compliance. I too am waiting for clearer justification from Tesla on their request.

I purchased my MY last year and paid cash. I recall at the time I had to provide this information to Tesla before I took delivery of the car. I haver not received the email. However, in light of this, someone could be spoofing a legitimate email to get bank details.

That’s where my money would be. I bet Tesla haven’t saved the copies of ID and now they’re on damage control duty.

Exactly. I wonder if they were so focused on data retention laws, because privacy is such a hot topic, they deleted more than they should.

Something worth thinking about, what happens to those loans that don't supply this "new" information.