Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this for real? Passport and driving license upload or you can drive your tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
received it again

tried to replay with "lol no" and got this answer

Your message to [email protected] has been blocked. See technical details below for more information.
The response from the remote server was:
550 5.4.1 Recipient address rejected: Access denied. [MN1PEPF0000F0DF.namprd04.prod.outlook.com 2024-06-08T00:30:21.417Z 08DC85BD79CB00E0]​

i will have a visit to service tomorrow morning, it will good chance to ask WTF

Reactions: kiranl
This does all seem very unusual. As a naturally suspicious person (I was a cop for many years!) it does look very iffy. My first thought is it’s someone who’s got a list of Tesla owner’s email addresses / account details and is phishing for formal ID in order to take over the Tesla accounts, which would then allow them to more easily steal Teslas.

I have not received this request. Car was bought cash. If it is legit, I wonder if there’s any common theme with the people who have received this request? Tesla loan, perhaps?

Reactions: EVMeister
Got the same email as well.

Mine is on PCP so they already have my licence and I can't find a reason why they'd need my passport details (and if regulations say they must have it, then I definitely disagree with the regulators!) so definitely staying well clear of that link and/or giving them unnecessary information.

Can't find anything on Twitter/X about it either. A bit concerning for both them and for us.

Reactions: Wattsisname
This does all seem very unusual. As a naturally suspicious person (I was a cop for many years!) it does look very iffy. My first thought is it’s someone who’s got a list of Tesla owner’s email addresses / account details and is phishing for formal ID in order to take over the Tesla accounts, which would then allow them to more easily steal Teslas.
This.

Sounds like an OAUTH exploit to me. Never click anything from any email, folks.

received it again

tried to replay with "lol no" and got this answer

Your message to [email protected] has been blocked. See technical details below for more information.
The response from the remote server was:
550 5.4.1 Recipient address rejected: Access denied. [MN1PEPF0000F0DF.namprd04.prod.outlook.com 2024-06-08T00:30:21.417Z 08DC85BD79CB00E0]​

i will have a visit to service tomorrow morning, it will good chance to ask WTF

At SC right now
No one knows anything about such request

In the UK, whilst you are required to provide some form of ID to a dealer when purchasing a vehicle (for the registration), there is no legal requirement for that to be a driving licence or passport and it's for the DVLA not the dealer. I therefore can't see why a dealer/manufacturer would need 'a new copy' as they shouldn't have one in the first place. If the vehicle is on finance however, I guess they can ask for what they want.