Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal, or an unusual amount of issues for a 3 week old car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My view is that it's an intentional decision on Tesla's part to push QC issues down to owners and service at end of quarter in order to hit delivery goals.

I wish I could refute that but all of the evidence certainly points to your assessment being correct. This is extremely unfortunate given the huge backlogs that virtually all service centers already have. Kicking the can down the road to meet delivery forecasts just doesn't seem to be worth the risk. Yet Tesla keeps doing it every 3 months... I have said this before and I'll say it again, Tesla can only get away with this while they are the only dog in the fight. The moment another dog joins the fight, these kind of issues are completely unacceptable and will cost Tesla dearly. It'll be interesting to see what the new kid in town presents at CES...

Jeff

I wish I could refute that but all of the evidence certainly points to your assessment being correct. This is extremely unfortunate given the huge backlogs that virtually all service centers already have. Kicking the can down the road to meet delivery forecasts just doesn't seem to be worth the risk. Yet Tesla keeps doing it every 3 months... I have said this before and I'll say it again, Tesla can only get away with this while they are the only dog in the fight. The moment another dog joins the fight, these kind of issues are completely unacceptable and will cost Tesla dearly. It'll be interesting to see what the new kid in town presents at CES...

Jeff

To be clear, this is just my opinion based upon reading the various "end of quarter rush" posts at TMC and elsewhere since I started following Tesla in earnest in 2013. Musk's comment during one of the quarterly calls seems to confirm. What also interests me is the fact that Tesla is citing "quality" as the overarching reason for low Model X deliveries, yet Tesla doesn't appear to be putting the same emphasis on Model S quality.

Jeff

New kid in town?
Lets be realistic, there won't be a competitor to tesla for a long time. Sure Audi can release an EV with 200+ miles of range, but will they have a charging network in place to allow travel beyond 200+ miles? not anytime soon.
In fact I bet they'll go with the chademo/CCS plug and let the burden of a charging network fall on someone else.

That at is if they actually release an EV anytime this decade

The car was delivered to them on 12/20, I took it 6 days later. :scared:

Do you have any issues like the OP? Just wondering

- - - Updated - - -

To be clear, this is just my opinion based upon reading the various "end of quarter rush" posts at TMC and elsewhere since I started following Tesla in earnest in 2013. Musk's comment during one of the quarterly calls seems to confirm. What also interests me is the fact that Tesla is citing "quality" as the overarching reason for low Model X deliveries, yet Tesla doesn't appear to be putting the same emphasis on Model S quality.

I agree with you on this....Tesla should do more thorough inspection before delivery of cars.

I called Costa Mesa and they said their earliest appointment was February 6th. I explained that they needed to escalate this as this is not some random issue, but a laundry list of things that should have been taken care of before I even took delivery of the car. They said they could try to talk to their manager, but I should really call a different service center that is equidistant from me.

So I called Buena Park and have an appointment for January 15th, a week and a half from now. Hopefully they fix everything in one shot, as I really don't want this to turn in to other horror stories I've heard where people are bringing their cars in on a monthly basis.

Damn, and these cars cost how much? It's time that we Tesla supporters stop giving the company a free pass by saying they're a young company, we're early adopters, the car is so much better than any other vehicles on the road, ....... While all that MAY be true to certain extents, when will Tesla be held accountable? Imagine if a car from ANY other manufacturer was delivered to the customer with these issues, most posters on this forum would have a field day mocking them.

Here's the frunk/hood gap:

frunk1.jpg

Yes, you can stick an entire finger in there...(and that white crap on the edge of my hood? It's adhesive they never removed)

frunk2.jpg

Here is the jagged fender I mentioned:

fender.jpg

And this is the door handle. Driver side sunken in on the left, passenger side (normal) on the right. The lighting sucks, but I think you can still see it:

door.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Mine lines up, so no, that's not normal.

Last edited:
Faraday Future. Granted, a concept car at CES this week is a far, far cry from a production version but if Tesla can do it...

Jeff
Yes but what about an extensive charging network, they can't compete with tesla without it.
That will take some time, so really tesla is not feeling any competitor pressure, which is unfortunate as that might be something they need to improve their product. (QC wise, it's a great product, it just needs to be built better)

Ok so I picked up my model S after my service appointment today.
Drop off 1130am, pick up 4pm.
Replaced left side blinker light sticking out =)
Full wash, wax and detail as I asked since it wasn't clean during delivery. =)

Trim not lining up with the doors, sorta missed. Its better but not flush. I'll let it sit for awhile maybe it will get better as the door loosens up.

Ok so I picked up my model S after my service appointment today.
Drop off 1130am, pick up 4pm.
Replaced left side blinker light sticking out =)
Full wash, wax and detail as I asked since it wasn't clean during delivery. =)

Trim not lining up with the doors, sorta missed. Its better but not flush. I'll let it sit for awhile maybe it will get better as the door loosens up.
Too bad it rained today so your car is plenty dirty from Rocklin to EDH. Did they provide you a loaner? If so, what was it?

Yeah rain was not any concern but more the clear coat on the red multi paint was scratched up from the wrap. Having a nice buffed wax cleaned it right up. Kinda like a gel coat on a boat can be buffed back from surface level minor scratches.

They were out of tesla loaners so they got me a rental from enterprise. A prius which did the job for the day.

Wind and rattling noise on doors

I have owned 70D for about a month now. I was excited to drive mine when i got it. Now that i hear wind noise on the driver side of the window and rattling noise on the passenger side door. I have not paid attention to the other issues abut windows and alignments.

Took a visit for seat belt recall and also addressed the issue for rattling noise and told them I could hear it on the highway not just back roads, the tech drove few miles and said its usual the doors are settling. We had it for a month and drove about 2K miles , I am wondering how long will it take for the doors to settle or should i wait for Tesla to settle with this doors issues ?

Wind noise on the driver side is worse than my other car (Acura MDX), have an appointment by end of this month and I did not want hear the same settling or usual excuses they give.

Any one else with wind noise/rattling noise had it fixed?

Did you get response from the Telsa ? Where they addressed and resolved to your satisfaction.

Yeah rain was not any concern but more the clear coat on the red multi paint was scratched up from the wrap. Having a nice buffed wax cleaned it right up. Kinda like a gel coat on a boat can be buffed back from surface level minor scratches.

They were out of tesla loaners so they got me a rental from enterprise. A prius which did the job for the day.
On delivery at Rocklin I noticed a scratch. Later found out from body repair guy that it was just adhesive that was left over and a little turpentine on a rag took it right off. I still took it in because the surrounding area had some visible scratches probably from them trying to take it off in Rocklin. Funny thing is when I tried to point it out to them I couldn't find it as it was a cloudy day and had to get it in the right lighting. They ended up fully detailing it anyway as I had some type of hologram on my passenger door too.

For the last few weeks I kept forgetting to take the clear plastic off the door sill plate. When I finally got to it and a couple of days later I notice a very visible scuff mark where it says Model S. Is this normal or should there be an adjustment on the door and they replace the plate?

Last edited: