Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this really going to happen? Adding artificial noise. It’s a shame if so.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Distracted pedestrians or not, I do not want to be the first quiet car that runs over a child in a Tesla because the parents or child didn't hear me coming. But, it would be my responsibility if that happened. I'd rather the noise be there and yes, as long as it wasn't intrusive and overbearing.

I live by a school and I have a tall shrub that separates my yard from my neighbor's. Every morning that I back out of my driveway I need to be extra cautious that a child doesn't suddenly emerge behind me while they are walking to school.

Maybe we can wait until this actually happens before we predict the end of democracy and your personal freedom? Just a thought. I doubt they're going to add Harley Davidson fat hog pipe noise to the car although I think that would be a funny option to add.

How far are we going to go? Do we have to add noise makers to bicycles? They are pretty silent and can definitely hurt someone when hitting at speeds. What about shopping carts?

There is a balance between freedom (or utility) and risk. If we lock everything down in name of safety, we would still be in a cave eating grass (hunting is too risky). In my opinion, adding noise to a quiet car doesn’t seem like a good harm/benefit ratio.