Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this rusted piece dangerous or replaceable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this is a stupid question to car guys but this is the first car I've owned since my early 20s (just getting my life together) and this piece in the middle is super rusted. Should I change it? Is that even possible? Also I'd like to rotate my own tires, when tightening lug nuts how do I know if it's 129lb ft torque.?

Attachments

• IMG_20231021_175814.jpg
    IMG_20231021_175814.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 148
They definitely USED to sell them. I even have a set(never used!) that I'd be willing to sell if I can find them, including center caps. All I see direct from Tesla on their site is https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-aero-wheel-cap-kit, which would still cover your lug nuts and rusty axle bolt.

I'm sure a SC would sell you replacement lug nuts, but they wouldn't be closed end.
I vaguely recall that I'm mistaken, and what they were selling was lug nut CAPS and a wheel center caps, all made of plastic.

Upvote 0
They definitely USED to sell them. I even have a set(never used!) that I'd be willing to sell if I can find them, including center caps. All I see direct from Tesla on their site is https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-aero-wheel-cap-kit, which would still cover your lug nuts and rusty axle bolt.

I'm sure a SC would sell you replacement lug nuts, but they wouldn't be closed end.
They never sold lug nuts on their online shop, but a Tesla service center will sell you the OEM lug nuts. You will only want those if you plan on putting the black plastic caps over them or some sort of wheel cover over them, otherwise the exposed end of the lug bolts will start to rust.

As for length of the lug nuts, it only matters if they are closed end. And they only need to be the minimum length of 1.6“. there's no problem with being longer. If the lug nuts are open end then their length doesn't matter.

As for rust on the center hub -- that's normal on all cars. Don't recommend using chemicals to remove it, but you can brush it off with a steel brush and apply a light coating of grease or some paint to keep them from rusting a lot.

Upvote 0

What does closed end mean? Do I want closed end?

Upvote 0
They never sold lug nuts on their online shop, but a Tesla service center will sell you the OEM lug nuts. You will only want those if you plan on putting the black plastic caps over them or some sort of wheel cover over them, otherwise the exposed end of the lug bolts will start to rust.

As for length of the lug nuts, it only matters if they are closed end. And they only need to be the minimum length of 1.6“. there's no problem with being longer. If the lug nuts are open end then their length doesn't matter.

As for rust on the center hub -- that's normal on all cars. Don't recommend using chemicals to remove it, but you can brush it off with a steel brush and apply a light coating of grease or some paint to keep them from rusting a lot.

Thank you for the info. I do have one more question (so I don't have to make a post) I bought my car used and it came with these 2 cords one has a small plug ones has a big, and some sort of adapter cord plug thing. Do you know the difference between those 2 plugs and what the adapters for? 3 Picture included lol

Attachments

• IMG_20231021_200736.jpg
    IMG_20231021_200736.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20231021_200746.jpg
    IMG_20231021_200746.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20231021_200723.jpg
    IMG_20231021_200723.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

Thank you SO MUCH for the links bro. That will ease my worry. Also do you know if put windows have a coating on them? Idk if the chemical guys glass cleaner screwed them up or if it was like this before hand but look at these little circles they're everywhere

Attachments

• IMG_20231023_150102.jpg
    IMG_20231023_150102.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0
Thank you for the info. I do have one more question (so I don't have to make a post) I bought my car used and it came with these 2 cords one has a small plug ones has a big, and some sort of adapter cord plug thing. Do you know the difference between those 2 plugs and what the adapters for? 3 Picture included lol
One of them is a 14-50 plug, the other is a 5-15 plug. The 5-15 will plug into a standard wall plug at virtually any home in America. The 14-50 is sometimes found at campgrounds and at places that have installed plugs just for EV charging. The latter will be MUCH faster at charging.

Reactions: android04 and Cce32
Upvote 0
Both badly formatted link but I found what you're pointing to...

Description says they are for Tesla 3/X/S and it's Amazon so they should be able to accept returns if it doesn't fit.

Note, however, they are 22MM hex, not the 21 which I think are standard. Just means you have to have two sockets; one to remove the existing ones and another to install the new ones.

Upvote 0

Description says they are for Tesla 3/X/S and it's Amazon so they should be able to accept returns if it doesn't fit.

Note, however, they are 22MM hex, not the 21 which I think are standard. Just means you have to have two sockets; one to remove the existing ones and another to install the new ones.
Yeah can you tell me how to post a link? I must be an idiot cause I can't figure it out

Upvote 0
Just put in the entire https:// string as is, no @ needed, nor any extra slashes at the beginning.

Here's the one I think you are talking about:

Another note: Sometimes the forum software includes a preview of the page. Other times it's just a link (like above). Many times people post the ENTIRE string (URL) with all of the source site reference and crap that gets added on so companies can track where they are being linked from. I generally delete those and just post the basics.

Reactions: android04 and Cce32
Upvote 0

Do you think these lugs would work? I worry about the height cause Tesla doesn't specify
https://a.co/d/3ffOtNb

Upvote 0

Yeah the 22mm is why I didn't wanna order it even tho they say Tesla. It's so hard to find a m14x1.45 21mm 40mm like the exact same ones are not easy to find.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the slight delay.....

So I checked with one of the companies that exist to service aftermarket parts for Teslas (EVANNEX). This is an expensive locking lug nut set for Tesla but contains some good information*:

(* Maybe it's me, or maybe it's both of my browsers (Firefox and Chrome), but maybe their web page designer didn't have their coffee for the morning. All text on the page appears to be rendered in a color which the same as the background. End result is that you can't read any of the standard text. Text that are in graphics display fine; just the other descriptions and wording is essentially invisible. Grabbing the entirety of the page and copy-paste into a word processor reveals all.)

These are closed ended nuts. They are supposed to be for any of the factory wheels and not for use with aftermarket wheels. The thread size is 14mm x 1.50 (not 1.45). The face is a 60 degree conical design. The specs say an overall length of 1.62". I'd say that as long as you stay at a length of 1.6", or slightly more, you're good. A 1.5" nut may work. It all depends on how much "headroom" there is inside the nut.

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
Thank you SO MUCH for the links bro. That will ease my worry. Also do you know if put windows have a coating on them? Idk if the chemical guys glass cleaner screwed them up or if it was like this before hand but look at these little circles they're everywhere
Those are just water spots that form when water evaporates and leaves behind minerals or dust. Just clean the glass with a glass cleaner and then immediately dry it with newspaper or a clean, dry microfiber cloth.

Upvote 0