Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this rusted piece dangerous or replaceable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this is a stupid question to car guys but this is the first car I've owned since my early 20s (just getting my life together) and this piece in the middle is super rusted. Should I change it? Is that even possible? Also I'd like to rotate my own tires, when tightening lug nuts how do I know if it's 129lb ft torque.?

Attachments

• IMG_20231021_175814.jpg
    IMG_20231021_175814.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 148
It is, but its also unnecessary. If you don't like the look, there are center caps available(which would also have kept the rust from getting so bad!)
Yeah I just bought the car used I think the dealership left it out in the rain ALOT. Almost every torque wrench I see says not to use it for lugnuts. How am I supposed to know I'm using 129lb ft torque?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-21-20-32-19-27_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-21-20-32-19-27_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
I'm sure this is a stupid question to car guys but this is the first car I've owned since my early 20s (just getting my life together) and this piece in the middle is super rusted. Should I change it? Is that even possible? Also I'd like to rotate my own tires, when tightening lug nuts how do I know if it's 129lb ft torque.?

Naah. Just leave it. It won't be a problem.

Upvote 0
Yeah I just bought the car used I think the dealership left it out in the rain ALOT. Almost every torque wrench I see says not to use it for lugnuts. How am I supposed to know I'm using 129lb ft torque?
They are saying to not use the torque wrench to >remove< lug nuts. Using a torque wrench to remove nuts/bolts is said to cause the torque wrench to go out of calibration. Instead, use a breaker bar or standard lug wrench for removal.

Find a video on how to set the torque wrench to 129 ft lbs. You'll definitely want a 1/2" torque wrench.

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
Deal with this by putting your plastic caps back on so you can't see it. It's not a problem at all.

The fact is even very new vehicles can develop surface rust on some parts in extremely short order (weeks to months). Every new other-branded car I've had always has one part at least that develops a patina almost immediately. Look underneath you see bits and pieces always with a rust layer.

Upvote 0
Use a 1/2" breaker bar to remove the lug nuts and to install them. Then the last step is to use a torque wrench to get them up to the 129 lb. ft spec.
But as others have suggested, watch a YouTube video to learn the whole process, including where / how to jack up a Tesla, rechecking the lug torque after driving some, etc.
If you didn't get or don't like the aero covers Tesla sells this way over priced:

Similar for $20 many other places online.

Reactions: pnwadventures
Upvote 0
Use a 1/2" breaker bar to remove the lug nuts and to install them. Then the last step is to use a torque wrench to get them up to the 129 lb. ft spec.
But as others have suggested, watch a YouTube video to learn the whole process, including where / how to jack up a Tesla, rechecking the lug torque after driving some, etc.
If you didn't get or don't like the aero covers Tesla sells this way over priced:

Similar for $20 many other places online.
Isn't it just cheaper to spend the $25 to $50 to have a place rotate them? Usually I wanna diy to save money but buying a breaker bar, torque wrench, socket drive, low profile jack and jack pads seems to be 3-5 years of paying for a place to do it ?

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Upvote 0
Isn't it just cheaper to spend the $25 to $50 to have a place rotate them? Usually I wanna diy to save money but buying a breaker bar, torque wrench, socket drive, low profile jack and jack pads seems to be 3-5 years of paying for a place to do it ?
Some places will rotate tires for free, especially if you bought the tires there. Rotating tires with a single set of tires and jack is very hard, too.

Usually people who do the work on their own have other uses for their tools. For example, I swap winter/summer tires and back six times a year(three cars), and do all maintenance/repair work on all the vehicles.

Reactions: afadeev
Upvote 0
Some places will rotate tires for free, especially if you bought the tires there. Rotating tires with a single set of tires and jack is very hard, too.

Usually people who do the work on their own have other uses for their tools. For example, I swap winter/summer tires and back six times a year(three cars), and do all maintenance/repair work on all the vehicles.
Not all of the places will torque the lugs to the proper value. Or use a torque wrench at all. Three or four ooga doogas instead. I have had not one but two bad experiences. I trust no one.

The only exception was when I had tires mounted at Tire Rack because I was able to watch them do it, The same way I do. A 60 ft. lb. torque stick on the air wrench to snug them down. Then a torque wrench to finish it.

Upvote 0
Not all of the places will torque the lugs to the proper value. Or use a torque wrench at all. Three or four ooga doogas instead. I have had not one but two bad experiences. I trust no one.

The only exception was when I had tires mounted at Tire Rack because I was able to watch them do it, The same way I do. A 60 ft. lb. torque stick on the air wrench to snug them down. Then a torque wrench to finish it.
Totally agree that they don't torque the lugs properly. I was at BJs(think Costco for the Northeast), and heard someone ugga-dugga a lug nut on for a literal five second count AFTER it tightened.

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0
Yes, it's cheaper to have someone do it for you, even Tesla will send Mobile Rangers to you to do it, for a fairly reasonable price. I like to do it, not to save money, but it's good to know how to do it, and gives you a chance to inspect your tires/wheels for damage, check your brake pad depth, and rotor faces, lube the brake pins, and look over the rest of what you can see, including brake lines, suspension bits, undertray dirt, etc.

Just rotated a month ago, and found a small nail in one of my tires:
IMG_0782.jpeg

We've had records amount of rain this year, it's rained every weekend for the last 2 months! So, the wheel wells have tons of grit, the brake rotors are speckled with rust spots; but you can see the brake line in back is not rusted. I need to burnish the rotors!
IMG_0757.jpeg

Pads have lots of meat on them still, (you can see how far away the sensor is)but the rotors need burnishing, thru the service menu.
IMG_0746.jpeg

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0