Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this used 2017 Model X a good deal, or should I wait for a (potential) refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My background: I drive 100 miles roundtrip for work, mostly on the highway. Every few weeks, we will make the drive to my mother-in-law's, which is about 150 miles away.

Looking to get a Model X. Came across this deal: 2017 Model X 75D six seat interior, 39k miles, Enhanced Autopilot. Seller says that lifetime supercharging is included. $63,000.

Ideally, I would like to get a little more range in the car. Also, I have a sneaky feeling that Model X might undergo an interior refresh this year with the release of Model Y. Should I be concerned that this is a 2017 model? How much of a difference does Raven makes?

I'm also unsure of the difference between FSD and EAP, and how it will translate into my highway driving (primary reason I'm getting a Tesla). Am I able to upgrade FSD for the used car down the road?

You should be able to add FSD later, but personally I would try to get an HW2.5 or HW3.0 version. 2017 is most likely HW2.0. You can research why 2.5+ is better. I would also try to get an MCU2 version instead of MCU1. I think that change was in 2017?
If you look around the forum you will see threads on MCU1/HW2.0 versions not getting updates as fast.
You should probably also research the difference between Enhanced AP, regular AP and FSD. I think Enhanced has some of the FSD features included (smart summon,etc?)

Also, I thought the transferable Unlimited Supercharging ended in 2016, so you may want to verify that somehow (I think they could look it up on tesla.com under their X and show you that it says it's transferable)

All that being said, if you want a Raven version you are going to be looking at another $15-25k, I think I've seen new standard range ravens for high 70s on Tesla's site.

FYI, I'm a current 2016 Model X owner with MCU1/HW2.0

Currently EAP has the same usable features as FSD, so you won't be missing much until FSD came out with more features. We have a 2017 MX 75D and we love it. If we had to do it over again, we would get the 100D for sure. The 75D if you charge to daily 90% you get like 200 miles range. And that's 200 miles EPA rated range.. in reality, it would be more like $170 miles. And then you really don't want to come home with only 5 miles left so you want a reserve of 15/20 miles. The real actual range of 90% charge will be closer to 150 miles. It is still very usable but another 75 miles would help a lot.

The other thing is that MCU 1 is slow. It wasn't slow when it first came out, but as the software gets updated, it became slower and slower.

So, just to confirm a few things:

1) EAP is essentially the same as FSD currently. Will be able to upgrade to FSD for $4k if desired.

2) Followup question: will Tesla upgrade vehicle to HW3.0 if we buy FSD?

3) For a 2017 mode, it is likely to be MCU1, correct? Anyway to upgrade this, or am I stuck with it?

1) EAP is essentially the same as FSD currently. Will be able to upgrade to FSD for $4k if desired.

Yes, EAP has the features currently available for FSD. Not only lane keeping but can change lanes and Navigate on Autopilot, which does some highway exits automatically. There is the option to upgrade to FSD but not sure of current price when coming from EAP. I personally would be happy with these features but I purchased FSD for the hardware update.

2) Followup question: will Tesla upgrade vehicle to HW3.0 if we buy FSD?
Yes. Eventually.

3) For a 2017 mode, it is likely to be MCU1, correct? Anyway to upgrade this, or am I stuck with it?
A 2017 model is definitely MCU 1. MCU 2 came out in Spring 2018. Elon has said multiple times that MCU 1 can be upgraded to MCU 2, but service centers don’t yet agree with that statement. I am hopeful for an update at some time. I think MCU 1 makes the screen refresh painfully slow.

Cars were AP 2.0 at the beginning of 2017 but were AP2.5 by the end of 2017. I’m not sure the transition date - sometime during the summer, maybe? I have a Sept 2017 build that is AP 2.5.

I echo some concerns stated above. I do not believe that any 2017 have transferable unlimited supercharging. The current owner may have it, but only early builds have it sticking with the car as it changes owners. And the second concern is range. For trips plan to go from 90% to 10% of the battery, have as low as 75% efficiency sometimes, and there will be degradation of the car’s battery (assume -5% to -10% of initial range). With my 100D: 295 miles original rated miles, down to 280 miles when charged to 100%. Use 80% of the range and 75% efficiency (winter value) and I’m down to 168 actual miles. I can start at 100% and go below 10% and I do get much better efficiency in the summer (95%), so sometimes I can go further. But just trying to convey realistic expectations.

But I do love my X!!!

Thanks for the response Bigriver.

Yes, I too am concerned with the range, especially during the winter months (I live in Upstate NY). Seems like the car will be more than sufficient for my daily commute to work (50 miles each way for a total of 100 miles), but if I drive to my Mother-in-law that's ~160 miles away, I would most likely need to charge at a supercharger, especially during the winter months.

A few more things about X changes in 2017....

Premium packages and a la cart features changed throughout the year. I don’t know the full history of them, but when we were looking at the X’s in October 2017, things like the winter package, premium sound and auto opening driver’s door were a part of the “premium package.” However, after we got our car (inventory car - Sept 2017 build) we found out that its “premium package” was missing the winter package and premium sound.

I believe it was in 2017 that there were a number of interior changes, that I’m thinking may have happened along with the AP 2.0/2.5 switch. Back of seats went from shiny to matte. Back seats are no longer mono-posts.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards passing on this deal and getting a new Model X. Here are my reasonings:

1) the range is the main concern to me. It will not affect my daily commute to work, but having to stop each way when we are driving to the MiL's is quite a pain. Also, I live in an area that is heavily affected by winter, and I'm concerned about this and normal battery degradation how it will affect my winter range.

2) the various knick knacks that adds up to something more significant. Things like MCU2, HW3.0, sentry and dash cam, Raven suspension, that are all missing in this vehicle.

3) Price difference. A similar set-up with long-range and all the shiniest update cost $30k more (no FSD) brand new. I'm kinda ok with this difference, especially with Model Y coming out and the (mild potential) of a price cut or interior refresh for Model X.

How does my thought process sound to you?

Reactions: Vitaman
And don't forget state rebate (NY has $2k I think for new EV?) and free supercharging with a new Model X. I really don't think the 2017 MX came with transferable free supercharging unless it was bought first week of 2017. And if you have a business... potential section 179 tax deduction on a new MX.

If you are ok with the increase in price I would say definitely go for a new one. MCU2, HW3.0, Raven suspension, dramatic range increase are all considerable differences...

FYI, I've had a few issues that most people have (acceleration shudder, falcon wing misalignment/rubbing, yellow screen border). Overall not too bad and the local service center is pretty good, over my ownership of two teslas I've almost always gotten a tesla loaner (once had a rental Infiniti SUV).

Some clarifications.

MX towing package was always an option until it became standard around September of 2017. So, a 2017 build might have towing if it was ordered late in the year or if it was ordered with the paid option. The Tow Package is still available as a service installed add-on for $1250, so all 2017 Model X can be used for towing but you may have to pay to get it installed.

2017 MS/MX ordered before January 15 2017 and built in the first quarter all came with transferable FUSC. Back then ordering at the beginning of the year got a car that was produced in mid to late March (I have one of those). That's nearly 1/4 of all 2017 models with transferable FUSC. My 2017 MX with transferable FUSC has a VIN in the 40k's.

• Informative
Reactions: Bigriver and VikH