Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this used 2020M3P a bad idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the replies. What is SOC? So are you saying, if I only need to drive to work and back (17 miles x 2) then I should only charge to that level and not to 80%?
SOC = State of Charge
The minimum you can set the charge percentage to is 50%, so you will be charging to that at least. I recommend plugging in daily if you are using a 50% charging percentage, that way you've always got at least that much each day.

Search out some of the threads by @AAKEE he's done a ton of research on calendar aging and battery degradation related to the State of Charge. Summary: Lower is better, but don't sweat it if you need a higher State of charge on any given day.

So as far as range goes.. What should I expect? New it was 299 miles, right? So take 80% of that and I'm at around 240 and then not letting it get below 20% (60 miles) puts me at around 180 miles before needing to charge? Is that right?

if your idea is that you will be running it down before you charge it back up, that isnt necessary. If you have home charging available, you can plug in every night and there isnt any reason not to plug in every night. With home charging, you effectively have a "gas pump" in your garage, so total drivable range only matters if you are driving more than your effective range out in a specific day before coming home.

If you are asking this because you are considering doing this without being able to charge at home (or alternatively at work), then I would suggest you continue to research whether that is right for you or not. People do it (lots of people in fact) but I certainly never would (own an EV without home or work charging).

Reactions: M3_Performante
if your idea is that you will be running it down before you charge it back up, that isnt necessary. If you have home charging available, you can plug in every night and there isnt any reason not to plug in every night. With home charging, you effectively have a "gas pump" in your garage, so total drivable range only matters if you are driving more than your effective range out in a specific day before coming home.

If you are asking this because you are considering doing this without being able to charge at home (or alternatively at work), then I would suggest you continue to research whether that is right for you or not. People do it (lots of people in fact) but I certainly never would (own an EV without home or work charging).
Yes, I was planning on plugging in every night.. I'm getting a Gen3 Tesla wall charger installed.

I was asking about the range for a few reasons.. One, basically seeing how far I would be able to realistically / safely / stressfree go on a charge.. I thought I should only charge to 80% and not let it go under 20% so that's where I was getting that number.. So, if I had to drive to Pittsbrugh for work (60 miles one way), would I be worried about getting home with charge, etc.. Or similar..

If you guys are saying it's OK to go under 20% and also charge above 80% on the days I am going to farther places, than that brings some comfort..

Yes, I was planning on plugging in every night.. I'm getting a Gen3 Tesla wall charger installed.

I was asking about the range for a few reasons.. One, basically seeing how far I would be able to realistically / safely / stressfree go on a charge.. I thought I should only charge to 80% and not let it go under 20% so that's where I was getting that number.. So, if I had to drive to Pittsbrugh for work (60 miles one way), would I be worried about getting home with charge, etc.. Or similar..

If you guys are saying it's OK to go under 20% and also charge above 80% on the days I am going to farther places, than that brings some comfort..

TL ; DR - you can charge to whatever you need to make the trip you want to make, including up to 100% and down below 10% or even lower.

TL ; DR - you can charge to whatever you need to make the trip you want to make, including up to 100% and down below 10% or even lower.
That is good to know, thanks! So what about on a daily basis when my commute would just be to work and back (40miles total + / - 10-15 miles for practices etc).. Would I charge it to 80% or?? Sorry, just without seeing how the charging in the app works firsthand it's hard to grasp. Appreciate the help!

That is good to know, thanks! So what about on a daily basis when my commute would just be to work and back (40miles total + / - 10-15 miles for practices etc).. Would I charge it to 80% or?? Sorry, just without seeing how the charging in the app works firsthand it's hard to grasp. Appreciate the help!

I suggest reading through this thread:

Reactions: ts2340
That sure is an extreme generalization. I have not only used both, I have both, in my garage, right now, and use both cars all the time. Is there a difference? Yes. Some drastic, screamin difference that "people who say otherwise have never used both"? Absolutely, not, at least for me, and I use them both All. the. time.
Perhaps, everyone is different, but it's as noticeable to me as the difference between a RWD and a M3P.
The atom is fast enough if you don't do any streaming or web browsing much like how the RWD is fast enough and perfectly fine if you don't care about speed.

I don't like slow devices, even more so when you know how fast it can be, using my 2023 RWD is really like using a ipad on wifi while my 2020 is like using a ipad on really really good 3G. Again not noticeable if you don't stream or web browse

Also to get back on topic, it seems like a decent price, extra wheels and FSD is HUGE!
I just picked up my 2020 M3P a few weeks ago, white on white with 49k miles for 33,750 private seller, really wish I had FSD though!

Last edited:
Totally switching gears here for a second.. a 2023 M3LR AWD vs a 2020 M3P.. Speed wise.. Night and day difference? I've never even driven a M3P I just knew after driving the 2023 M3S RWD rental that I wanted to get one (a M3).. And I figured if I was getting one, I wanted to get the fastest one..

Are the LR AWD's quick as well?

Perhaps, everyone is different, but its as noticeable to me as the difference between a RWD and a M3P.
The atom is fast enough if you don't do any streaming or web browsing much like how the RWD is fast enough and perfectly fine if you don't care about speed.
Its no where near that amount of difference to me (and the two vehicles I have in my garage are a 2018 model 3P and a 2022 Model YP, and I am an IT professional by trade). Sure, netflix launches faster in the ryzen processor, but once you are watching something it doesnt make much difference that I see, and for day to day driving, there is virtually zero difference in usage.

Totally switching gears here for a second.. a 2023 M3LR AWD vs a 2020 M3P.. Speed wise.. Night and day difference? I've never even driven a M3P I just knew after driving the 2023 M3S RWD rental that I wanted to get one (a M3).. And I figured if I was getting one, I wanted to get the fastest one..

There isnt that much difference in a model 3 LR AWD with acceleration boost and a model 3P. 0-60 3.5 vs 0-60 at roughly 3.0/3.1 (at a high level).

Its no where near that amount of difference to me (and the two vehicles I have in my garage are a 2018 model 3P and a 2022 Model YP, and I am an IT professional by trade). Sure, netflix launches faster in the ryzen processor, but once you are watching something it doesnt make much difference that I see, and for day to day driving, there is virtually zero difference in usage.
This is good to hear.. 20 years in IT and I was worried this was going to be like an old Android tablet after reading some of the comments..

Reactions: DocHolliday
This is good to hear.. 20 years in IT and I was worried this was going to be like an old Android tablet after reading some of the comments..
I mean, the ryzen is faster, if you do stuff like time the two side by side in things like launching a browser, or opening netflix, its not a 1 second difference. In actual usage, unless you can see the thing you are comparing it to, its not that big a deal.

Now... If I was buying a tesla now, I would want a ryzen processor one but I suffer from fomo (fear of missing out) pretty severely myself. Even with that, I dont have any desire to trade my car in or something for one that has the ryzen processor (the model Y P is my wifes car but I drive it all the time.

its not like swapping from a 5400 rpm hard drive to an SSD ot m.2 drive or something, at least not to me, but you will find plenty of people who will say the equivalent that "yes it is", like the poster I was replying to. In regular day to day usage of driving, I find almost no difference (but I also am not trying to use the browser while I drive or something).

It wouldnt be a reason for me not to choose one vehicle or another, but if I was buying new since I like "the latest" I would probably target ryzen just because.

Streaming anything has frame drops every once in awhile with the 2020, not really noticeable to most I guess but very noticeable to me (my friend watched with me and she didn't notice the frame drop but it was noticeable to me).

I also use Plex on both, and find Plex on the 2023 runs noticeably smoother than on the 2020 as if it was running on an ipad and not a car.

The browser is quick and smooth on the 2023, feels like you are supposed to use the browser, using the browser on the 2020 is like, well, ok, this isn't it's intended use really so it's ok, I used it once or twice in the 2020 but would never use it again unless I have to.

I also wouldn't not buy a 2020 just because it has Intel and not AMD, I did just buy my 2020.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

After 2.5 years of ownership, I've settled on setting mine to 50%, then just charge as often as I need to. I don't have much of a commute and 50% gets us anywhere we need to go and then some. It's also the best for reducing degradation (but not by *that* much). From what you said about your commute, I suspect you'd be fine with 50% as well on most days... probably even on your longer commutes to the city.

The LR is very fast. For $2k, you can buy Acceleration Boost (a software upgrade) that reduces the 0-60 time by half a second.

Last time I remembered the 0-60 times, the P was 3.1 seconds, the LR was 4.2, and the LR with boost was 3.7. all of them feel very fast. Also, acceleration is affected by SOC and battery temp... but will always beat the pants off of ICE cars around you.

Last edited:
Reactions: DocHolliday
If you don't mind me asking, what are the deets? (Price, miles, options etc).
$33,750 49k miles white on white, sadly no FSD, ceramic tint, full rubber floor mats look OEM (no idea if they are) nice model 3 wording on them, and wet okole seat covers (neoprene seat covers), thought I would hate the seat covers but they are really good quality and make the seats so much cooler than my 2023 in the sun even with AC, sad thing is the covers are black so I forget how awesome my interior looks lol, oh and the Tesla portable charging cable thing that comes in that Tesla square bag, haven't actually opened it lol

Well the guy I was meeting to buy from (2 hour drive) said he can't get the title until next week so it's been pushed to next Saturday..

Now I'm having second thoughts.. Wondering if I should look for a 21-23 LR AWD as it looks like I can get one for around the same price ($42K).. The major thing would be no FSD and obviously the speed difference.. I really like the wheels of the one I'm looking at but also reading that the stock performance wheels/tires are a little rough..

ARGH.. What to do.. What to do...

Well the guy I was meeting to buy from (2 hour drive) said he can't get the title until next week so it's been pushed to next Saturday..

Now I'm having second thoughts.. Wondering if I should look for a 21-23 LR AWD as it looks like I can get one for around the same price ($42K).. The major thing would be no FSD and obviously the speed difference.. I really like the wheels of the one I'm looking at but also reading that the stock performance wheels/tires are a little rough..

ARGH.. What to do.. What to do...
Here's some food for thought. I bought FSD with my first Model 3, it was a total waste of money (my opinion). True FSD is far from reliable or proven. The performance speed is nice and amazingly quick, but add Acceleration boost onto the LR AWD when you have an extra $2k around and it's also very fast. plus you get the longer range and a full factory warranty with the new vehicle. LR AWD will also get the $3,750 tax rebate.

Reactions: father_of_6