Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this used 2020M3P a bad idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The usage you are using for "MCU" is not the same one that has been used here for model 3/ y that I have seen, as I just mentioned. On model 3 / Y the term always was used to combine the self driving computer. Not saying its correct, just saying what the usage here was.
We were posting at the same time. Bottom line is that there is currently no upgrade path from Intel Atom to AMD Ryzen and there is a path from Nvidia self driving v2.5 to Tesla v3 self driving. And sometimes that upgrade is free.

If you value 2 years of warranty for $1800, you're at almost the same price as an M3LR which would have all the newest stuff (minus USS). The car you're looking at has a lot of add-ons though.

Not everyone prefers the larger wheels of the performance trim... it's a harsher ride and the tires have a higher chance of damage... so the LR would give you 18" wheels.

Just some food for thought. Not trying to sway you in either direction. Some are saying there's a good chance of another price drop coming soon, as Tesla has a lot of idle inventory right now. The tax credits become upfront at time of sale on January 1st too.

If you value 2 years of warranty for $1800, you're at almost the same price as an M3LR which would have all the newest stuff (minus USS). The car you're looking at has a lot of add-ons though.

Not everyone prefers the larger wheels of the performance trim... it's a harsher ride and the tires have a higher chance of damage... so the LR would give you 18" wheels.

Just some food for thought. Not trying to sway you in either direction. Some are saying there's a good chance of another price drop coming soon, as Tesla has a lot of idle inventory right now. The tax credits become upfront at time of sale on January 1st too.
Appreciate the info!!

I have a 2020 Model 3 it has hardware 3.0 but also still running the Atom processor.
I also have a 2023 Model 3 that has the AMD processor and can say its a HUGE difference, people who say its just a bit better have never used both.
Very noticeable with streaming stuff but also noticeable performing navigation. Atom feels like a phone with low ram and an old processor vs AMD.

Also I think the AMD is water cooled and the Atom is just air cooled so its more than just plug and play.

Aweseome! Thanks for the reply! How do you like yours?
Absolutely love it. Its still a joy to drive every day. I dont think i can go back to an ICE vehicle now. Even with it being a SR, its absolutely better than anything ive owned before it. Low end is missing from the audio since it lacks a sub but ive already remedied that with an aftermarket solution. I paid for and got the FSD subscription yesterday. Its equal parts amazing and terrifying when it gets something wrong. Just always be ready to take over if the car decides it wants to do something questionable.

TL;DR: Had a M3S as a rental two weeks ago.. Fell in love and have been looking for one ever since.. Agreed on price to a 2020 M3P with 30K Miles, full FSD, an additional set of wheels/tires that are in great shape, white leather, very clean (no dents/dings/scratches), one owner who is in his 50's, never been in an accident.. Price is $41,900.

I've been looking / researching every day for the past two weeks.. Price is good as far as I can tell as I've been searching nationwide.. I live in the Northeast so have some cold weather in the winter and I know the 21's are when the heatpump started.. That being said my commute is 17 miles one way and I will have a wall charger installed..

Is this a bad idea?
No, it's a great idea,....

Reactions: ts2340
TL;DR: Had a M3S as a rental two weeks ago.. Fell in love and have been looking for one ever since.. Agreed on price to a 2020 M3P with 30K Miles, full FSD, an additional set of wheels/tires that are in great shape, white leather, very clean (no dents/dings/scratches), one owner who is in his 50's, never been in an accident.. Price is $41,900.

I've been looking / researching every day for the past two weeks.. Price is good as far as I can tell as I've been searching nationwide.. I live in the Northeast so have some cold weather in the winter and I know the 21's are when the heatpump started.. That being said my commute is 17 miles one way and I will have a wall charger installed..

Is this a bad idea?
I don’t live in the states so can’t comment from a price perspective

However I have been in the same situation for last 2 months and finally pulled the trigger on a slightly used late 22 M3LR model

I did fairly detailed research on the 2020 model as these were really available for a good price and there were cars with lower mileage. I also found one I really liked in blue with white interior

However i decided to look for 2021+ model for 2 key factors
1. The range improved with the 2021 upgrade..max range went from 560kms to about 626 kms for LR - if you had the 18inch ugly wheels - the extra range matters to me as I commute very long distance for work
2. The AMD processor appears to be a significant upgrade over intel Atom processors. Quite a few YouTube videos talk about it

Also the quality seems to have improved over time. I car pool with a colleague with a 2020 model and it’s a night/day difference in quality for me from a sound insulation and even quality of seats (he has black while mine is white seats, if that made any difference)

Other fact is these 2020 models are not very far off from the end of the main vehicle warranty at this stage

TLDR, would suggest rather looking at a late 2021+ model with low miles on the odo if you can

people who say its just a bit better have never used both.

That sure is an extreme generalization. I have not only used both, I have both, in my garage, right now, and use both cars all the time. Is there a difference? Yes. Some drastic, screamin difference that "people who say otherwise have never used both"? Absolutely, not, at least for me, and I use them both All. the. time.

it is a good price...I picked up a 2020 M3P with 25k miles w/EAP for $40,100 from Tesla used inventory back in Febuary for context.

Be sure to price one through their current used inventory becuse it is basically a CPO with a one year/10,000 extended warranty when you buy directly from Tesla

Either way, you are gonna LOVE IT....I recently put up my Porsche for sale if that tells you anything ;)

Thank you.. Yea I thought of that as well.. I figure I have about 6 more months of warranty.. I also am debating paying the $1800 to Tesla to have an additional two years but not sure that's wise.. The guy hasn't had any issues with rattles and some of the other more common issues, thus far..

Curious, why are you going from a M3P to RWD? Thanks!
You could look into X-Care as an alternative to buying from Tesla. Consider carefully before walking away from an extended warranty that you are starting out with a vehicle that is almost 4 years old which means expen$ive parts like computer display and A/C unit are also 4 years. You plan on keeping the vehicle another 5 years so you should figure you'll need to repair or replace something during that time and if its one of those two you may very much regret not buying a warranty. Other parts/labor to watch out for are the audio amp, speakers, etc.

Why RWD? The thrill of the P wore off quick on me and after living with it for so long I'm not affected by range anxiety. That said the effective useable range for the RWD is 190miles and my daily drive is 70~80 miles which fits in comfortably. I charge at home and EV chargers are everywhere in Florida if I needed to boost on the go. The acceleration is not worth 10K to me, and I definitely don't want the 20" wheels which will ride rough. All that said points me to the RWD and Tesla just lowered the price on the RWD again to -$3000. A brand new Red RWD is going for 39K and I bet Elon will lower the price again either this week or next week. The big question now is if Elon slashes prices again to -$5000 should I bite or wait for Highland to arrive in September?

Reactions: ts2340
So as far as range goes.. What should I expect? New it was 299 miles, right? So take 80% of that and I'm at around 240 and then not letting it get below 20% (60 miles) puts me at around 180 miles before needing to charge? Is that right?

You can let it go below 20%, There's no real problem with going as low as you feel comfortable with, Just make sure you've got access to a charger before you run out. You've got about 3.5% below 0, so long as the BMS is reporting correctly.

You can let it go below 20%, There's no real problem with going as low as you feel comfortable with, Just make sure you've got access to a charger before you run out. You've got about 3.5% below 0, so long as the BMS is reporting correctly.
Oh really? I've always been reading to never go below 20% and rarely above 80%.. Granted, only been researching for like 3 weeks..

Oh really? I've always been reading to never go below 20% and rarely above 80%.. Granted, only been researching for like 3 weeks..
There's no harm with a low SOC. It's best battery degradation wise to keep the battery at as low of a SOC as you are comfortable with. I personally charge each day to 50% SOC, I only have about a 15 mile commute, so that easily covers any driving I do on a normal day. That being said, charge the car to what you need for a days driving, if you need 90% go ahead and do so, it won't hurt anything. When I head out on a long trip, I usually start somewhere between 90% and even 100%.