Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is tire pressure indicator not accurate in cold weather or my tire shop install winter tires poorly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I took delivery of model 3 last week.

My local tire shop swap out the stock summer tire with Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R3 winter tire today. R3 winter tires were placed on the stock aero rim. But after driving for 30 min, I notice the psi indicator on central console is very different compare to what local shop told me which is 45 psi (see photos).

is tire pressure indicator not very accurate in cold weather condition (at freezing and below freezing level)? or did my shop install the winter tires poorly?

Thank you so much

20191231_182603.jpg

20191231_182709.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
A 45 to 42 difference is not major and could just be the difference in the two gauges.

The 42s are nothing to worry about but the 31 is REALLY bad. Go put a manual guage on the left rear quickly. Agree with the above, either the tire shop incorrectly inflated it, or it has an issue, or you are just the unluckiest person in the world to pick up a puncture in the first 30 minutes of driving a new tire.

I duuno if the reading was higher at first for rear left tires. The photo I took was the first time I use Tesla center control to display psi which is about 3 hours later after installation. I do not have a manual pressure reader. I guess I will have to go to shop after new yr for them to take a look.

Hello all,

I took delivery of model 3 last week.

My local tire shop swap out the stock summer tire with Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R3 winter tire today. R3 winter tires were placed on the stock aero rim. But after driving for 30 min, I notice the psi indicator on central console is very different compare to what local shop told me which is 45 psi (see photos).

is tire pressure indicator not very accurate in cold weather condition (at freezing and below freezing level)? or did my shop install the winter tires poorly?

Thank you so much

View attachment 495045
View attachment 495046
MN Model 3 owner here. Early in the cold season, and after I got my winters put on and mine were a little haywire. I’ve found the sensors to be quite accurate.

I would drive it to the nearest station with air, and put in 45 and verify on all. From Cold. Don’t drive a long distance. You should see them hold steady. Obviously if PSI drops significantly, then bring to the shop. Keep in mind, average is 1psi per 10 degrees of cooling.

Last edited:
I had a leak in one of the tires of my Model 3 for like 6 months. It was a slow leak and I was too lazy to take it to fix. So it would leak like 3 PSI per week. And I bought this to pump it back up every week:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JC8MB1T/

It works great and the digital gauge on it is accurate. I fixed the tire a few months ago and now I just use it to pump up the tires when it get colder and colder. I just keep it in the frunk.

• Informative
Reactions: ZappCatt
thanks guy. I use a manual gauge to check again this morning. Still at 30.7 psi. I do not mind pumping air in. But I think better to have shop look at in case there is a defect in the tire.

Probably leaking at the valve or something. Since they installed the tires, they should fix it for free... unless it is a nail. At my local tire shops, they fix nails for free too even if you don't buy the tire there. They gather goodwill for future business.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
legaldisclaimer.PNG
I had a leak in one of the tires of my Model 3 for like 6 months. It was a slow leak and I was too lazy to take it to fix. So it would leak like 3 PSI per week. And I bought this to pump it back up every week:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JC8MB1T/

It works great and the digital gauge on it is accurate. I fixed the tire a few months ago and now I just use it to pump up the tires when it get colder and colder. I just keep it in the frunk.

LOL, that tire pump has a "unique" legal disclaimer!

thanks guy. I use a manual gauge to check again this morning. Still at 30.7 psi. I do not mind pumping air in. But I think better to have shop look at in case there is a defect in the tire.

If it read 31 before, and 30.7 now, it could be anything from temperatire-based variance, or noise margin of the reading.

31 isn't the end of the world.

Go to a gas station. Pump all tires equally. (Ideally, double check with a quality gauge). Reset TPMS in the computer. Then check again in a day

what was teh temp in the shop vs outside air? As a general rule, the tire pressure will drop 1 lb for every 10 degrees (F). (sorry, you'll have to do the conversion to C). For example, if the shop was say 50F degrees and you drove outside into 20F degrees, you'd immediately experience a 3 lb pressure drop in tire air pressure.