Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IS Towing with the CT going to be practical?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To each their own, but I have encountered few people who have been happy with their large RVs. Most say that they are high maintenance like boats and planes and it is generally cheaper to rent them. You have two best days with them. "The day you buy them and the day you sell them."
Hey, you can sleep in your car in camper mode. And if you really want to rough it, use a tent. For the price of an RV, you could stay in a luxury hotel and still have enough change to pay for food all day. Again, just my humble opinion, but I will keep that moola in TSLA. Some folks like to gather toys.

Reactions: Ogre
To each their own, but I have encountered few people who have been happy with their large RVs. Most say that they are high maintenance like boats and planes and it is generally cheaper to rent them. You have two best days with them. "The day you buy them and the day you sell them."
Hey, you can sleep in your car in camper mode. And if you really want to rough it, use a tent. For the price of an RV, you could stay in a luxury hotel and still have enough change to pay for food all day. Again, just my humble opinion, but I will keep that moola in TSLA. Some folks like to gather toys.
It depends on how many days you use it annually, and where you park regarding the financial math vs staying in hotels. For infrequent use, yes renting is better. You have to put on quite a few days for it to make financial sense, and the actual cost isn't the purchase price, but depreciation+repairs+operating expenses.

I plan to add a 20-26' RV at some point, and it will absolutely not be cheaper. But there's something to be said about sleeping in your own bed, having everything always ready to go, and staying on-site verses miles away, espically when traveling a lot.

We used to enjoy staying at AirBnB’s until Covid struck. We then purchased an Airstream to do our traveling and it opened up a whole new world to us. The argument about overnighting in idyllic places is absolutely true, like being able to camp under several hundred balloons launching at Albuquerque BalloonFest. It will be a long time before we go back to hotels and BnB’s.

But to get to the point of this thread I’m hoping we’ll be able to charge the CT at those campgrounds with 240v power. I’ve spoken to managers at both private and public campgrounds about charging an EV and the responses are varied. Some want to charge me extra and others don’t care where the electricity goes — my trailer or my truck — makes no difference to them.

We used to enjoy staying at AirBnB’s until Covid struck. We then purchased an Airstream to do our traveling and it opened up a whole new world to us. The argument about overnighting in idyllic places is absolutely true, like being able to camp under several hundred balloons launching at Albuquerque BalloonFest. It will be a long time before we go back to hotels and BnB’s.

But to get to the point of this thread I’m hoping we’ll be able to charge the CT at those campgrounds with 240v power. I’ve spoken to managers at both private and public campgrounds about charging an EV and the responses are varied. Some want to charge me extra and others don’t care where the electricity goes — my trailer or my truck — makes no difference to them.
I’ve been towing a travel trailer since Election Day (20 states) and do the majority of my charging at campgrounds. One campground charged my actual recharge cost ($0.13/kWh), none of the others did.

One minor issue is old campgrounds where the circuit breaker craps out. Four campgrounds had defective breakers, which they replaced without hassle when notified. If I am not in a hurry I will charge at 24A (not 32) to reduce charging stress.

You won’t have a problem.