Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just had accident w/ my model 3. Where do I go from here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not near as bad as I was imagining.

I F'd up the rear suspension on the drivers side of my 2019 running over a wheel in the carppol lane at it was a 6k fix to replace all the suspension sub assemblies. I imagine the front will be similar. Plus a new quarter and bumper. It may be under 10k. That may be the rare unicorn of a non totaled Tesla.

So I was going to make a new post but I figure I don’t want to bombard the board.

The car is not totaled it’s being fixed right now the damages are around $10,000 and my insurance is covering it.

But here’s the current probably because the timeline on this was supposed to be surprisingly shorter than its now looking.

When my car got towed it didn’t get towed with a key and the spare key/card that I had I guess the trooper had throw it out or something…and the one that I have at my house got damaged By my dog and snapped into three pieces… I tried giving it to them and they can’t use it to turn the car on.
My car is currently in service mode and the technician is adamantly telling me that they need a physical key to be able to work on the car. I tried to tell him hey I can just add you as a driver because my phone is a key and you could use it like that but he’s telling me that it’s not possible to do it that way they need a physical key so now because there are no available key cards they have to tow my vehicle to Tesla and create a new one there.
Am I crazy or could I just use my phone as a key for them to work on it or add him as a driver for his phone? He’s a technician so I guess I’m trusting him but at the same time he is claiming that without the card, they can’t it turn on and off, and without that key they can’t work on it yet. Anybody know a solution for this?
Should I just go down there by self with my phone and see if that works? because I feel like my against the car door divider, will work and it will turn it on or at least make it available to be worked on.

I’d buy another key card (or two) ASAP. Have them added to the car. That way the shop gets a key, and you have a spare key. Sometimes the phone key doesn’t work and you need the key card. Last thing you need happen is to have no functioning keys at all. Isn’t the key card just $35 each?

And no, if the car is in a body shop, adding one person or his phone as an authorized driver and expecting them to work that way is probably not a realistic option.

I’d buy another key card (or two) ASAP. Have them added to the car. That way the shop gets a key, and you have a spare key. Sometimes the phone key doesn’t work and you need the key card. Last thing you need happen is to have no functioning keys at all. Isn’t the key card just $35 each?

And no, if the car is in a body shop, adding one person or his phone as an authorized driver and expecting them to work that way is probably not a realistic option.
If they even make you pay. I asked for a few cards when my car was in for service once and they gave me 3 for free.

When my car got towed it didn’t get towed with a key and the spare key/card that I had I guess the trooper had throw it out or something…

Why did you give your car's key/card to the trooper?
He is not your valet!

and the one that I have at my house got damaged By my dog and snapped into three pieces… I tried giving it to them and they can’t use it to turn the car on.

Dude, your story reads like an SNL sketch ...
It could get better if you were to introduce a jealous girlfriend, or ex-GF !

My car is currently in service mode and the technician is adamantly telling me that they need a physical key to be able to work on the car. I tried to tell him hey I can just add you as a driver because my phone is a key and you could use it like that but he’s telling me that it’s not possible to do it that way they need a physical key

Makes perfect sense.
Where you going to leave your phone in the car for them to use to unlock it at any time in the future?
Where you going to add EVERY body shop employee's phones as your car's key to unlock it whenever necessary?
Both of the above are impractical.
A key card is a much more sensible solution.

Anybody know a solution for this?

Yes - go to a Tesla SC (you don't need a car) and buy a few more card keys.
And stop giving them away to cops and/or feeding them to pets!

If they even make you pay. I asked for a few cards when my car was in for service once and they gave me 3 for free.

I asked for two (2) extra cards in 2019. Go charged $12.50 for each == $25 +tax in total.

a

Last edited:
Why did you give your car's key/card to the trooper?
He is not your valet!

Dude, your story reads like an SNL sketch ...
It could get better if you were to introduce a jealous girlfriend, or ex-GF !

Makes perfect sense.
Where you going to leave your phone in the car for them to use to unlock it at any time in the future?
Where you going to add EVERY body shop employee's phones as your car's key to unlock it whenever necessary?
Both of the above are impractical.
A key card is a much more sensible solution.

Yes - go to a Tesla SC (you don't need a car) and buy a few more card keys.
And stop giving them away to cops and/or feeding them to pets!

I asked for two (2) extra cards in 2019. Go charged $12.50 for each == $25 +tax in total.

a
I didn’t give my key to a trooper it was in the car and he didn’t know that a Tesla key was a card like a dumb ass. I know everybody wants to be an Internet comedian and put others down to make them feel better if that’s how you get off that’s totally fine I don’t care enjoy🤷🏼‍♂️.
I know my life is like an episode of curb your enthusiasm sometimes and yes I have a crazy two year old beagle named Carl who likes to eat everything.

And when I called Tesla they made it seem like I could’ve just get a new card like that that’s why I proposed my feel phone also the place I said it to it seems like they only had one Tesla certified technician so he’ll be the only one that would be given the second driver sorry these are such ludicrous questions, this is not my area of expertise I’ve had this car for 3 months

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t give my key to a trooper it was in the car and he didn’t know that a Tesla key was a card like a dumb ass.

Seems unlikely that he got in your car, saw the key card that says Tesla on it, and threw it away. But anything is possible. Have you tried searching the interior? Maybe it slipped under a seat or is wedged against the console. Having the key card to work on your car doesn't seem like an unreasonable request. What's important is you got the car in the shop already and their quality of work.

Yeah I’m going to right now. Is it smarter to bring it to Tesla directly or to a repair shop?
Ask Tesla Service who they would recommend for a body shop and have it taken there. The body shop will be able to evaluate it and
communicate with your Insurance Company what they see and if it's repairable. By all means, report it to your Insurance Company "yesterday"
(This comes from a 10 year stint as an Insurance Agent)