Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ISS had a leak caused by Russian orbital module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 'stop-drill' repair theory to reduce stress around the hole got me curious. The best source is probably NASA's daily ISS blog post, which makes no mention of using a drill bit. "Flight controllers at their respective Mission Control centers in Houston and Moscow worked together with the crew to effect a repair option in which Soyuz commander Sergey Prokopyev of Roscosmos used epoxy on a gauze wipe to plug the hole identified as the leak source." After curing overnight it was determined that no further repair steps were needed.

Got a kick out of one article that mentioned while waiting for repair, the astronaut stuck his thumb INTO the hole. Sounds like a job for a digit challenged Space Force commander!

For a space habitat as large as the ISS, astronauts follow a checklist to detect the location of any leaks. This involves a series of hatch closures and pressure checks throughout the ISS. This is likely the quickest way to isolate the leaking module for repair.

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW
‘Before’ photo shows hole that is larger than 2mm though and there are what seem to be markings of a drill on the side of the hole and metal shavings around it. This led me to believe that hole was drilled out.

Okay, I didn’t see that discussion. I can’t imagine something occurring inside the Soyuz that could result in a 2mm hole but of course I know very little about the detailed design and operation of that vehicle. It just seemed to me that a micrometeorite was by far the likeliest explanation.
It appears my guess was incorrect.

Roscosmos boss: Soyuz pressure leak caused by 'technological error' - pledges to find who is responsible

Quote: “According a Sept. 3 RIA Novosti report, an industry source said the hole was likely formed when an employee of the spacecraft’s manufacturer, RSC Energia, made an “error,” drilling a hole in the internal hull of the module before sealing the crack with a “special glue.” As such, the leak was not detected during pressurization tests before integrating the spacecraft with the launch vehicle.”

It appears my guess was incorrect.

Roscosmos boss: Soyuz pressure leak caused by 'technological error' - pledges to find who is responsible

Quote: “According a Sept. 3 RIA Novosti report, an industry source said the hole was likely formed when an employee of the spacecraft’s manufacturer, RSC Energia, made an “error,” drilling a hole in the internal hull of the module before sealing the crack with a “special glue.” As such, the leak was not detected during pressurization tests before integrating the spacecraft with the launch vehicle.”
That is definitely what that looked like. Cannot believe it made it all the way to the ISS without being detected/corrected during checks and tests. Pretty amazing frankly.

Never imagined that the hole mystery would go in this direction. Just read a google translated article that mentions several contingency plans for returning three ISS crewmembers in the unlikely event Soyuz MS-09 is deemed unsafe. 1) Soyuz MS-11 launches in automatic mode, minus a three member crew. 2) MS-11, MS-12, MS-13 each launch with only 2 crewmembers. 3) Since MS-13 isn't scheduled to launch until July 2019 there's a wild card scenario. MS-11 and MS-12 each launch with two crewmembers, then next April's SpaceX DM-2 plays cleanup.

Checked on the possible use of Soyuz MS-10, but discovered it's already scheduled to launch in October with a two man crew. A third crewmember is already planned for the return flight.

James Oberg is almost certainly correct that sabotage was not the intent when the damaging drill hole was made. I don't agree with his statement that "anybody in his right mind would rule it out". Until there is an explanation, every possibility should be examined. After SpaceX experienced the AMOS-6 pad explosion in 2016, I don't recall anyone openly mocking them for investigating possible sabotage with the use of a high powered rifle.

There's news concerning the August 2018 Soyuz spacecraft that was discovered leaking air while docked with the ISS. Seems almost unbelievable, the Russians know the cause, but they aren't going to tell anyone. Of course this is an awkward situation for NASA, busy thoroughly scrutinizing the upcoming Dragon 2 and Starliner launch issues. Checking the schedule for future crewed flights to the ISS shows Soyuz MS-15 (Expedition 61) launching this Wednesday, September 25th. Rookie American astronaut Jessica Meir will be aboard. Maybe NASA's friends over at ASAP can recommend getting some chewing gum into her PPK.
The Houston Chronicle published a quote from space agency Roscosmos leader Dmitry Rogozin. "What happened is clear to us, but we won't tell you anything". Full story here.
NASA leader vows to seek answers about space station from Russia

• Informative
There's news concerning the August 2018 Soyuz spacecraft that was discovered leaking air while docked with the ISS. Seems almost unbelievable, the Russians know the cause, but they aren't going to tell anyone. Of course this is an awkward situation for NASA, busy thoroughly scrutinizing the upcoming Dragon 2 and Starliner launch issues. Checking the schedule for future crewed flights to the ISS shows Soyuz MS-15 (Expedition 61) launching this Wednesday, September 25th. Rookie American astronaut Jessica Meir will be aboard. Maybe NASA's friends over at ASAP can recommend getting some chewing gum into her PPK.
The Houston Chronicle published a quote from space agency Roscosmos leader Dmitry Rogozin. "What happened is clear to us, but we won't tell you anything". Full story here.
NASA leader vows to seek answers about space station from Russia
When politics get involved...

The Houston Chronicle published a quote from space agency Roscosmos leader Dmitry Rogozin. "What happened is clear to us, but we won't tell you anything"
Incredible. And yet NASA continues to allow US astronauts to ride in the Soyuz and pay $70 million a seat. Better to cancel all US Soyuz rides and wait for SpaceX and Boeing to fly Americans to the ISS.

Incredible. And yet NASA continues to allow US astronauts to ride in the Soyuz and pay $70 million a seat. Better to cancel all US Soyuz rides and wait for SpaceX and Boeing to fly Americans to the ISS.

Gotta look at entire context. That answer ("we're not going to tell you the cause") was given to a student asking a question. It was not an official response to a space agency. And this is probably a translation as well. So, he could have been merely saying that they know the cause, and that the appropriate officials have been briefed, but the general public isn't being told yet. The reason for this could be that there are legal proceedings afoot, or it concerns national security classified stuff (who knows, maybe a Chinese spy could have done it). Anyways, it isn't as bad as it sounds.

• Helpful
Reactions: e-FTW and Grendal