Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues Connecting to Wi-Fi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a mid-rise condo and don't have wi-fi access in our parking garage. I purchased an Orbi outdoor satellite wi-fi extender, model RBS50Y to place on my balcony in order to connect my 2016 MS while parked on the street. The car sees the router, but won't accept the password. I'm having the same issue with my iPhone while trying to connect to it as a hotspot. I have tried restarting the router and iPhone, changing passwords and multiple soft resets of the MS. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to avoid go to my local service center since it's 50+ miles away.

Delete the WiFi entry on your car for this device, and add the hotspot anew. If that doesn't work, delete the hotspot and renter a new hotspot with an easy password temporarily, and try to connect again. If it works, change the hotspot password on the phone. Do this process for the WiFi when you get the hotspot to work. Don't use the same SSID name for both your router and the hotspot.

Upvote 0
Thanks DerbyDave. I did get the hotspot on my iPhone to connect for a short period of time. I left the phone in my car for a couple of hours so I could download the new update. When I went back to check on it, it had disconnected from wifi (with approx 10% of download completed) and would not reconnect. Will try your suggestions tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Another thing to try is to connect your car to the phone hotspot (if hotspot is enabled on your phone). You can keep the phone out of site in the console. I have done that a few times. You can also connect and drive around if necessary while it downloads, although you may have reconnect to the hotspot once you put it in gear.

Upvote 0
Another thing to try is to connect your car to the phone hotspot (if hotspot is enabled on your phone). You can keep the phone out of site in the console. I have done that a few times. You can also connect and drive around if necessary while it downloads, although you may have reconnect to the hotspot once you put it in gear.
They have enabled Hotspot to work while driving to replace Premium Connectivity on most late software versions. There is a checkmark to keep WiFi connected in Drive, so you don't have to manually reconnect after shifting from Park to Drive. I am trying this out now to see how a month goes without premium services from Tesla. If it is the same, I'll cancel my $9.95 a month Premium Services from Tesla.

Upvote 0
After trying multiple variations, I have not been able to reconnect to my iPhone hotspot. I was able to connect to a wifi network (after many reboots and attempted log-ins) and download the update. It seems to be hit or miss with connecting. I can log out and try to get back in, but get a passworword error message. Very frustrating. Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Upvote 0
They have enabled Hotspot to work while driving to replace Premium Connectivity on most late software versions. There is a checkmark to keep WiFi connected in Drive, so you don't have to manually reconnect after shifting from Park to Drive. I am trying this out now to see how a month goes without premium services from Tesla. If it is the same, I'll cancel my $9.95 a month Premium Services from Tesla.
Don't you lose 2 nice features of premium if you use the hotspot:

• See Real-time traffic (one of the best features of Navigation)
  • See open spots at supercharger station at a glance

Upvote 0
Don't you lose 2 nice features of premium if you use the hotspot:

• See Real-time traffic (one of the best features of Navigation)
  • See open spots at supercharger station at a glance
No, they have fixed that. Everything is available via Hotspot. I find the biggest issue for me so far is that I must enable Hotspot on my phone, and then connect to that WiFi in my car before driving. It is likely the connection from the car would enable itself once I drive beyond my home WiFi, but if I am being bothered, I just have been doing it myself. Probably there is an app for that.

Upvote 0
No, they have fixed that. Everything is available via Hotspot. I find the biggest issue for me so far is that I must enable Hotspot on my phone, and then connect to that WiFi in my car before driving. It is likely the connection from the car would enable itself once I drive beyond my home WiFi, but if I am being bothered, I just have been doing it myself. Probably there is an app for that.
Thanks, didn't know they fixed that. I'm doing 2 longer drives this weekend, I'll try this out.

Upvote 0