TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Issues with 3G

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Chisdad, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Chisdad

Chisdad Member

Have been driving my P85D for about two weeks and all is great.
    This morning, for the first time, I completely lost the 3G connection.
    I was not anywhere different than in the past so there was no reason to lose connectivity.

Is this a common occurrence ?
    And is there a "quick fix" when it happens ?

2. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Quick Fix for anything that strange, is to reboot the touchscreen by holding in the two scroll wheels until it goes blank.
    I usually reboot the driver console first, for good measure (by doing the same thing with the two top buttons).

3. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I only mention this because I also have a P85D so not sure if it's more common with them... I've been having issues with my 3G since I got the car. Had service look at it and they determined that the antenna in the driver's side mirror is bad (there's another in the passenger's side mirror so I'm limping by on that, but connectivity is poor to non-existent). They ordered the part 2 weeks ago and are coming to install it tomorrow. Hoping that resolves my issue. If your problem persists, you might have them check on this. Good luck!

4. Chisdad

Chisdad Member

Thanks for the quick response.
    I was just about to post another question asking how to reboot since that seems to be a quick fix often talked about but couldn't find anything in the manual about how to reboot !

5. PlanB

PlanB Banned

I am on my 3rd Tesla, it happens to all of them. It is not a P85D issue. All you can do is rebot and wait for it to come back, sometimes rebooting doesn't help though.

6. cwave1

cwave1 Member

My understanding is that this is a Canadian specific problem since we are using a US 3G provider and are always roaming while at home. There are threads under the Canadian forum about this. It happened to me a lot after installing 6.0 (I don't have 6.1 yet) but selecting "Always Connected" seems to reduce how frequent it happens and it will reconnect after a while. Without "Always Connected" selected I always had to reboot.

7. Knobby

Knobby Member

Correct, it seems to be Canada specific. There's a whole thread on it in the Canada section. Patiently waiting for a fix. In the mean time turn off the sleep power save mode.

Edit: Here's the thread: 3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

8. wayner

wayner Active Member

I have had this issue a couple of times too in my 16 days as an owner of a P85D.