Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with aftermarket / non Tesla wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to use aftermarket wheels and tires (winter) on my new model 3 RWD. Will doing so cause issues with warranty / roadside assistance / any other issues with Tesla. Not sure saving $800 worth any hassles down the road? Any input is greatly appreciated!

I am looking to use aftermarket wheels and tires (winter) on my new model 3 RWD. Will doing so cause issues with warranty / roadside assistance / any other issues with Tesla. Not sure saving $800 worth any hassles down the road? Any input is greatly appreciated!
It should not. I got replica wheels (18"), which look exactly like the Tesla ones, but 800$ less. I've never had a problem.

Upvote 0
I'm planning to get new wheels for my M3. As long as the weight are similar and you use similar low rolling resistance tires, you should not see any drop in range or performance. If you buy forged wheels which could be significantly lighter, you should see an increase in range due to less rotating mass and energy required to move them.

Upvote 0
You won't have any issues with warranty but generally lowers your range 5-15% since OEM tires priority efficiency - assuming you're getting same size wheels and tires with more performance utlity. If you are going from 20s or 19s to 18s, or same size but lighter forged wheels, the range loss would be minimal or even net positive.

Upvote 0
I am looking to use aftermarket wheels and tires (winter) on my new model 3 RWD.

Sure, many of us have done the same for winter tires.

Will doing so cause issues with warranty / roadside assistance / any other issues with Tesla.

Nope.

Not sure saving $800 worth any hassles down the road? Any input is greatly appreciated!

I don't know how much Tesla's own winter packages are these days (used to be ~$3.5K), but I got my set of winter wheels + tires + TPMS sensors for $1,968.80.
And I got to pick the tires that I wanted (Michelin X-Ice at the time), and not some second-rate winter tires that Tesla stocks.

generally lowers your range 5-15% since OEM tires priority efficiency - assuming you're getting same size wheels and tires with more performance utlity.

That's not accurate.
Your efficiency will depend entirely on the roiling resistance difference between your summer and winter tires. Or specifically, which winter (vs. summer) tires you choose to purchase.
In my case, ANY winter tires has lower rolling resistance than my summer Micheline PS4S's. So all things equal, the winter tires provide improvement in efficiency.

YMMV,
a

Upvote 0
It should not. I got replica wheels (18"), which look exactly like the Tesla ones, but 800$ less. I've never had a problem.
Sure, many of us have done the same for winter tires.

Nope.

I don't know how much Tesla's own winter packages are these days (used to be ~$3.5K), but I got my set of winter wheels + tires + TPMS sensors for $1,968.80.
And I got to pick the tires that I wanted (Michelin X-Ice at the time), and not some second-rate winter tires that Tesla stocks.

That's not accurate.
Your efficiency will depend entirely on the roiling resistance difference between your summer and winter tires. Or specifically, which winter (vs. summer) tires you choose to purchase.
In my case, ANY winter tires has lower rolling resistance than my summer Micheline PS4S's. So all things equal, the winter tires provide improvement in efficiency.

YMMV,
a
Wow…. Thank you!!!

Upvote 0