Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues With Installing a Charger in NJ with no offstreet parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How exactly did you ask "the town"? Did you actually file for a permit to do a pedestal installation?
Filed a permit for installation on the house. It was denied. Spoke directly with the head of the permitting deparment about the solutions I posted above and was told "no" to all of them.

I would expect that the permitting office would have to respond to you yea or nay within a prescribed amount of time.
They did. Immediately with a "no".

If they didn't, you could take legal action. Now they might well say no, but then you could persue whatever appeal process comes next.

You have to follow procedure in order to get anywhere, and you might need a lawyer to help you do it.
Due to the cost involved with that, that's like step 25 and I'm on step 8.

So, when you said, "I can't get the town to give me an answer on any of the above.", you actually meant you can't get them to say, "Yes" to any of the above.
I asked the inspector if could I run the cord over the sidewalk in a channel.

He said no.

I said what other solutions exist?

He said "we'll look into it" and get back to you.

After them not getting back to me, I then started providing them alternative solutions.

They never replied to my emails.

Thanks to all who answered the initial question. I'll continue to monitor but it looks like I know my path forward.
As a retired bureaucrat (chief of police) permit me to explain some of the reasons you are facing reluctance here. If the town gave you permission to put some electrical cord over a public walkway, and if someone claimed an injury as a result (no matter how far-fetched the claim, trust me on this one), then the town would be liable and be sued. They have nice deep pockets and are always on the radar scopes of attorneys.

A couple of examples;

We have lots of small lakes in our town (Cape Cod). If we put up a sign in the winter, DANGER, THIN ICE, and if someone fell through the ice and drowned, the town would be liable as the town would have had a duty to see to it that no one had walked upon said thin ice (on our two dozen ponds and lakes...). So, no signs.

Some years ago a child ran into an older citizen while the child was bike riding on a town sidewalk in town center. The injured woman was badly hurt. I was contacted by an attorney for the woman asking if there were any regulations regarding the riding of bicycles on town sidewalks? There were not, thus there was no case and no law suite.

In short, for a bureaucrat it is just simpler, and safer, to say NO to any request as you made.

Rich

• Informative
Reactions: karkrazy
The electrocution risk from an exposed conductor for a 15-20 amp 120v circuit is much lower than a 240v 20-60 amp circuit.
How so? A single exposed conductor is 120V to ground in both cases (in North America, anyway). A 15A circuit is just as deadly as a 60A one, since a (non-GFCI) breaker won't trip in either case.

About the only way I can see a 240V circuit being more deadly is if you come into contact with BOTH hots, simultaneously, on either side of your heart (eg, holding one in each hand).

If I can get 5 miles of range per hour and can charge my car from when I get home from work until when I go out the next day (say 12 hours), a Level 1 charger would provide 60 miles of range and wipe away most (of not all) of that drive. That's IMMENSELY more helpful than trying to fight for one of three public EV chargers in town that have a 3 hour maximum time limit.
If they let you run 120v, it can go upto 30amps which will give you between 7 -8 miles/hr. They use these in RV park. Regardless, if you are allow to run through the sidewalk or under it with a conduit, make sure it's connected to a GFCI breaker to prevent any potential shock.

I asked the inspector if could I run the cord over the sidewalk in a channel.

He said no.

I said what other solutions exist?

He said "we'll look into it" and get back to you.

After them not getting back to me, I then started providing them alternative solutions.

They never replied to my emails.
You should just bring your suggestion directly to their office. Much easier to talk in person and get things done. Cite examples of other jurisdictions and what they have allowed as example will be helpful too.