Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues With Installing a Charger in NJ with no offstreet parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No jurisdiction in the country is going to bless you running a cord over (or under) the sidewalk like that for any length of time.

What exactly are you trying to get a permit for? Installing a permanent outdoor pedestal and wall connector in the strip between the sidewalk and the curb (similar to the below pic), or something else?

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 9.26.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: AS9.9.
Not the answer OP is looking for, but I remember this thread was discussing similar challenges and options.

Agree with others, no local municipality is ever going to approve a non-permanent solution. Even if they accepted a WC fixed to a post, the trenching, electrical and all that will cost thousands of $.

I am sure there are other people in my situation who have or are considering buying EVs: no single family home, no private garage, no private driveway. Basically apartment or condo living multifamily housing. In my case, townhouse with community parking lot (assigned / numberd / reserving parking spaces), with the parking lot separated by the actual townhouses by community / shared front yards.

What is the solution for charging? I understand the association installing community / shared chargin station, but that is not happening with mine. So I was talking about private & individual charging station in own numbered parking space.

I have seen some solution in the internet (see pictures), but never one in person. I imagine it will cost a lot of money, but, has anyone here done something similar? If so, can you share your experiences?

View attachment 984892

View attachment 984893View attachment 984894View attachment 984895View attachment 984896View attachment 984897View attachment 984898

Reactions: thyname and cwerdna
Be sure to vote in Prediction, in Which Year Will New Electric Vehicle Sales Exceed 50% in the United States "Poll" if you haven't already. It is a significant barrier for those who can't charge at home nor work and it seems like a not insignificant % of people who charge at home fail to recognize that/dismiss it.

I haven't watched your video yet, but many Americans who have this issue will simply rule out EVs or give up easily. They have to really want an EV to go through the trouble of finding workaround or to move somewhere that allows charging at home.

No jurisdiction in the country is going to bless you running a cord over (or under) the sidewalk like that for any length of time.
You would be wrong on that. Charging your electric vehicle

Home charging without a garage or driveway
To support residents who want to transition to an EV but do not have a garage or driveway, the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) has amended the Encroachment Manual to allow residents to run a Level 1 (110 volt) charging cord from their house and across the sidewalk to charge their EV at the curb, provided that their residence meets the specifications listed below in the cord cover allowance section.

I don't get it. Running an extension cord to curb with level 1 charging? If you drive that little, why even bother. Just get a gas car.
Huh? If you drive less than 48 miles per day L1 is fine. And you can possibly make up for extra on the weekends.

Parking could possibly be an issue, but isn't in a lot of neighborhoods. (And if you are on good terms with your neighbors they might help you out.)

Reactions: LetsGoElectric
Huh? If you drive less than 48 miles per day L1 is fine. And you can possibly make up for extra on the weekends.

Parking could possibly be an issue, but isn't in a lot of neighborhoods. (And if you are on good terms with your neighbors they might help you out.)
I know level 1 works if you drive less than 40. But if you drive that little, even a V8 does not cost much more in fuel annually. Not to mention hybrid options exist that can do 45 MPG. Level 1 is way too slow to charge if you ask me. Any emergency or unplanned trip you need to DC. Just feels like way too much trouble than what it is worth. If I don't have a dedicated spot with charger, I simply would not go EV.

A quick google turns up:
Cambridge legalizes EV charging across the sidewalk - The Boston Globe

What exactly are you trying to get a permit for? Installing a permanent outdoor pedestal and wall connector in the strip between the sidewalk and the curb (similar to the below pic), or something else?
I'm trying to install a charger however I can do it. On a pedestal at the curb would be fine, but I'd also do:
On the house with the cord that goes in the sidewalk:
1710377929435.jpeg

In a channel that goes on the sidewalk:
1710377968081.jpeg

Or (as a last resort) in an arm that goes over the sidewalk:
1710378054772.png

I can't get the town to give me an answer on any of the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
Not the answer OP is looking for, but I remember this thread was discussing similar challenges and options.

Agree with others, no local municipality is ever going to approve a non-permanent solution. Even if they accepted a WC fixed to a post, the trenching, electrical and all that will cost thousands of $.

Which, in the past 3 months, the town pulled out all of the sidewalks and put new ones in. I asked during that time if I could run a conduit under the sidewalk and there was no response.

I know level 1 works if you drive less than 40. But if you drive that little, even a V8 does not cost much more in fuel annually. Not to mention hybrid options exist that can do 45 MPG. Level 1 is way too slow to charge if you ask me. Any emergency or unplanned trip you need to DC. Just feels like way too much trouble than what it is worth. If I don't have a dedicated spot with charger, I simply would not go EV.
If I can get 5 miles of range per hour and can charge my car from when I get home from work until when I go out the next day (say 12 hours), a Level 1 charger would provide 60 miles of range and wipe away most (of not all) of that drive. That's IMMENSELY more helpful than trying to fight for one of three public EV chargers in town that have a 3 hour maximum time limit.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
How exactly did you ask "the town"? Did you actually file for a permit to do a pedestal installation? I would expect that the permitting office would have to respond to you yea or nay within a prescribed amount of time. If they didn't, you could take legal action. Now they might well say no, but then you could persue whatever appeal process comes next.

You have to follow procedure in order to get anywhere, and you might need a lawyer to help you do it.