Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with LED lights on trailers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After about 8 emails to Tesla, which were effectively ignored, asking for a solution to the fact that LED lights on trailers don't illuminate in tow mode, Tesla have telephoned me & advised they have no solution.
This means you cannot tow trailers with LED lights. Pathetic, as all trailers manufactured now have LED lights, which effectively means Model X cannot tow trailers

• Disagree
Reactions: Togg and Rossy
After about 8 emails to Tesla, which were effectively ignored, asking for a solution to the fact that LED lights on trailers don't illuminate in tow mode, Tesla have telephoned me & advised they have no solution.
This means you cannot tow trailers with LED lights. Pathetic, as all trailers manufactured now have LED lights, which effectively means Model X cannot tow trailers

Help me out @ohmman. I have LED tail lights in my 23ft Airstream. I have towed them with a friends X with no problem. Am I missing something. Is the OP in the US? Brand of trailer?

I have no help, but I do have a trailer with LED lights and am considering an X............... Subscribed
Doing an internet search shows this to be a common issue with more recently manufactured SUVs (not just Tesla) - the have a 'light blown' signal & because LEDs draw such low power the canbus 'thinks' the light is blown
That is how I understand it

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Just spoke to another trailer retailer & they said they have to change the LED lights over to multivolt lights, to solve the problem

Do you think you can handle plugging this in?

https://www.amazon.com/57003-7-Way-Blade-Electrical-Adapter/dp/B00AFVOF3M

This is just one of many ways to solve it. This just adds load resistors to trick it.

We are in transition. It’s a well known problem. Model X was designed for the most common trailers 3-4 years ago. Things are changing. There are simple work arounds.

Issues happen if you use LED blinker bulbs, cars won’t see the proper load and miss behave. So you add a load resistor to simulate the old load. No big deal.

I have a Curt 57003 adapter that will allow LED lights to work with older Model X vehicles. Newer Model Xs do not need this adapter, according to reports in the forum. I don't know the cutoff, but if you're having trouble, this is probably the adapter that you need, @Nuclear Fusion.

Edit -- cross posted with @mswlogo who has the correct answer above.

Didn't check - it was at the trailer retailer at the time, a week go
Maybe the Model X trailer plug is faulty - but I have been towing a trailer with incandescent lights no problem for the last 5 days
Incandescent lights don’t care about polarity.

but they do make resistive loads for led replacements. My truck needed it When I replaced my tail lights for it to work correctly.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Do you think you can handle plugging this in?

https://www.amazon.com/57003-7-Way-Blade-Electrical-Adapter/dp/B00AFVOF3M

This is just one of many ways to solve it. This just adds load resistors to trick it.

We are in transition. It’s a well known problem. Model X was designed for the most common trailers 3-4 years ago. Things are changing. There are simple work arounds.

Issues happen if you use LED blinker bulbs, cars won’t see the proper load and miss behave. So you add a load resistor to simulate the old load. No big deal.
Cheers mate. I'll order one.

Reactions: mswlogo
I have a Curt 57003 adapter that will allow LED lights to work with older Model X vehicles. Newer Model Xs do not need this adapter, according to reports in the forum. I don't know the cutoff, but if you're having trouble, this is probably the adapter that you need, @Nuclear Fusion.

Edit -- cross posted with @mswlogo who has the correct answer above.

I tow a 2020 Airstream Bambi 22FB with a 2017 Model X and the lights work fine. No adapter required.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman