Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It’s a sad day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewbieT

Aug 16, 2019
North West
After 12,000 miles and 13 months, I’ve just agreed to hand back the car I love.

Tesla made 4 attempts to fix the leak in the trunk lid without success. Link: Jun 20, 2020. SC’s last attempt made no difference and I don’t want a boot that will rust out in 3 years’ time. SC tried re-aligning the boot seal and replacing the lights. TBH I have no idea how the water is getting in but my best guess is the seams want welding up and a repaint or just a new lid.

Black Horse have been very professional about unsatisfactory quality and the final right to reject.

I had a look around. Nobody can compete with Superchargers, AutoPilot, OTA Updates, Price vs Range, Brand.

So, I’ve joined the Ro-Ro Spy Club (with my own referral code). The next one will definitely get a good going over before handover/acceptance. Not that I’d spot a boot leak.

Sad to hear. Tesla need to sort their approach on several fronts. There are only so many people who will give them the benefit of the doubt. I recently subscribed to Which? Not a single Tesla in their recommended electric car categories. Sounds like put quite a bit of emphasis on score built quality and reliability and historically Model S and X ranked low and they are not seeing much improvement with early Model 3's.

Can I ask what VIN range you were in? These issues sometimes come in clusters.

Sad to hear. Tesla need to sort their approach on several fronts. There are only so many people who will give them the benefit of the doubt. I recently subscribed to Which? Not a single Tesla in their recommended electric car categories. Sounds like put quite a bit of emphasis on score built quality and reliability and historically Model S and X ranked low and they are not seeing much improvement with early Model 3's.

Can I ask what VIN range you were in? These issues sometimes come in clusters.

Old saying is that nobody wants to eat in a restaurant where they work in the kitchen. With forums like these, we kinda get all the information we would know if we "worked in the kitchen". Most everyone with a flaw posts about it here, and makes the issues front and center in our minds.

Glad that Tesla worked well with you trying to correct the leak issue and also to refund your $ when they could not correct it.

Reactions: Beady3647 and Exy1
Old saying is that nobody wants to eat in a restaurant where they work in the kitchen. With forums like these, we kinda get all the information we would know if we "worked in the kitchen". Most everyone with a flaw posts about it here, and makes the issues front and center in our minds.

Which? isn't a user forum. They send out surveys which people answer so their answers are gathered across all the survey responses, good or bad. The only self selection is that the surveys are sent out to people with an interest in consumer affairs and product performance. Its probably not a huge sample size though and the survey would only have covered the earlier UK deliveries so maybe not totally representative, but still indicative of the state of play at that point in time.

Which? isn't a user forum. They send out surveys which people answer so their answers are gathered across all the survey responses, good or bad. The only self selection is that the surveys are sent out to people with an interest in consumer affairs and product performance. Its probably not a huge sample size though and the survey would only have covered the earlier UK deliveries so maybe not totally representative, but still indicative of the state of play at that point in time.
I'm not overly impressed with Which? and the manner in which they form their opinions I often think is flawed. For EVs they put a big emphasis on range and how long it takes to charge from empty to full, which isn't a particularly relevent metric in my opinion. I do agree with them that the Model S door handle issue needs addressing but not sure it requires a recall.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw

Tesla made 4 attempts to fix the leak in the trunk lid without success. Link: Jun 20, 2020. SC’s last attempt made no difference and I don’t want a boot that will rust out in 3 years’ time. SC tried re-aligning the boot seal and replacing the lights. TBH I have no idea how the water is getting in but my best guess is the seams want welding up and a repaint or just a new lid.

Black Horse have been very professional about unsatisfactory quality and the final right to reject.

I had a look around. Nobody can compete with Superchargers, AutoPilot, OTA Updates, Price vs Range, Brand.

So, I’ve joined the Ro-Ro Spy Club (with my own referral code). The next one will definitely get a good going over before handover/acceptance. Not that I’d spot a boot leak.
That's a real shame. I assume they weren't prepared to replace the entire boot lid?

They might have got there eventually. After the 4th attempt I didn't really want to take the risk; or to keep having to driving to the SC (not really ‘local’) or to have to fight.

I’ve tried to be reasonable. The last time it went in I was polite and firm that it needed to be fixed this time whatever needed doing.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel

Glad that Tesla worked well with you trying to correct the leak issue and also to refund your $ when they could not correct it.

Off topic and at the risk of being called pedantic...I dont think thats how the old saying goes... Its more along the the ways that sometimes you would not eat in a restaurant if you saw the kitchen. However, having in the past been in the trade for many years, its not an absolute and to that end many businesses have an open kitchen these days so pick you place, go out and enjoy yourself.

Back on topic, Im really sorry to hear it, with a pinch of embarrassment :(

Sorry to hear that :(

I had the same issue. Birmingham SC tried 2 times and on the third attempt in May/June(ish) this year the car went to a professional body car place (these guys fix Ferrari, Mclarens etc) that Birmingham SC use and this company (touch wood!) have seemed to have fixed it. It did take 3 weeks to repair (probably because of Covid) and they did take the whole of the rear end of the car off. But so far no water issues. Although a few weeks later my car was back in for a day replacing the rear glass due to a stress fracture. But all good now