Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It works. Used a Tesla wall charger to charge the smart car today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is another situation that has popped up occasionally at a local golf course, like maybe twice in 2 years, but once was kinda critical. Unknown what the reason for this was. Maybe another Tesla was parked in the other spot. No worries. It happens. As you can see from the picture the Tesla charger and spot is free and Clipper creek spot is occupied by the Tesla. That day, I could have used this new adapter that I just purchased.

24302024558_c70e11972f_z.jpg

Well all Teslas are EVs, but not all EVs are Teslas, after all...

I think it's super smart for businesses to stipulate a J1772 must also be installed as part of participating in the charging partners program. Sometimes it is local government ordinance that requires it, and that's also super smart of that municipality.

But, the Tesla HPWC install is 100% intended for Tesla owners only. Just read the verbiage on the page I linked, and the brochure they give to businesses. I've never been on the business-end of one of the deals, so I can only guess what the terms of the deal are, but look at the language they use:

"Tesla’s bespoke charging solutions give us a distinct competitive advantage over other automotive manufacturers."

"This allows full-service hotels, resorts, and restaurants to directly market to and attract Tesla owners. Our owners often craft their vacations and business trips around charging availability. By providing Destination Charging for your customers, you place yourself prominently in our owners’ view through Tesla’s Find Us web page and the 17” Touchscreen Navigation in every Tesla vehicle"

"The Tesla Wall Connector is a Tesla-specifc, Level-2 charging station. It can deliver up to 58 miles of range per hour to Tesla vehicles. It’s elegant construction and minimal footprint is designed to ft in nearly any location and enhance the aesthetics of your property."

"With the installation of Tesla Destination Charging, your property will join a rapidly growing network of premium destinations throughout North America for our owners to enjoy. In addition to being featured on Tesla’s website and in-vehicle touchscreen, partner properties will have full access to Tesla’s portfolio of marketing platforms."
I do agree that prostituting an HWPC in this manner is likely contrary to Tesla's intent when they subsidized the installation.

Well all Teslas are EVs, but not all EVs are Teslas, after all...
Yeah, that's what a lot of people miss by saying "Tesla has an adapter too!" The J1772 adapter is there for Teslas because all non-manufacturer public chargers use it, but the reverse is not symmetrical.

As for this adapter in general, I think things will be fine if the EVs using the HPWCs move their cars promptly and give priority to Tesla owners. However, I think as this adapter gets more popular (akin to situations where non-Tesla dealers mislead people that they can charge their cars at a supercharger station), there will be plenty that won't do that (and might even be indignant if asked to move).

As soon as it becomes common for Tesla owners to be blocked at destination chargers by non-Teslas, I think Tesla will be forced to address this. That time is not here yet (but might be soon, esp. with the explosion in demand from Model 3 drivers).

I also appreciate that Nissan dealerships allow any car to charge there.
That's not always true though. There are dealerships that won't let you charge even for the same brand (you must have bought your car from there). I put dealership chargers into a completely different category.

The appeal of the Tesla destination charger network is that a majority are located at non-dealer/Tesla store. This eliminates all the negatives of a dealership charging location. The other manufacturers simply haven't invested into a similar network.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
The protectiveness individual consumers have for Tesla always baffles me. The identification with the company is amazingly strong - the comparison to Apple is probably quite warranted. Sometimes I think the thought of advancing a BEV future is mostly talk only, when I read threads like this.

However, I do think Tesla hopefully is more liberal about this than people think. OP to me seems to have a very sensible and reasonable approach to this. Kudos to the OP.

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca
We recently bought an adapter that allows charging of our leaf or smart ED with a Tesla destination charger. Although we don't expect to use it a lot there are a few destinations we visit, (namely wineries and a couple other spots) that didn't realize there were other EV charge formats other than Tesla when they put in their charging infrastructure. As a result they only have a Tesla charge point and it is difficult to add additional facilities. So we bought a Tesla adapter and tried it out today. Works great. Now we have a back up plan. We are making a little card up we can hang it on the plug so if a Tesla user really needs it he/she can text us and we can come and free it up. Manners first.

Thanks Elon.

38093494912_1d852591cf_z.jpg

Why not just use the clipper creek unit on the wall between the two cars?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4537/38093494912_1d852591cf_z.jpg

You wouldn't need the adapter on that one.

Reactions: scaesare
It's better than nothing, but the four together will only get close to matching Tesla's network today in 2020 (and Tesla's network is still growing).

Sure, but the point was, it is an open network for all. Paid, I'm sure, though.

Look, I'm not expecting Tesla to open up Superchargers, but if they are smart they'll be more liberal about Destination Chargers than some expect here - the big deal, the electricity is paid by the location after all...

Reactions: scaesare and Canuck
The protectiveness individual consumers have for Tesla always baffles me. The identification with the company is amazingly strong - the comparison to Apple is probably quite warranted. Sometimes I think the thought of advancing a BEV future is mostly talk only, when I read threads like this.

However, I do think Tesla hopefully is more liberal about this than people think. OP to me seems to have a very sensible and reasonable approach to this. Kudos to the OP.
I talked about this elsewhere. While it makes sense have some chargers available for all EVs for goodwill/emergencies (I'm not arguing for all of the chargers to be dedicated to Tesla), it doesn't make sense to reward laziness of the other automakers by letting them use all of them. If other automakers can rely on such adapters, they have no incentive to install a similar network of their own.

Edit: I know that Europe is different and doesn't have the adapter issue, but Tesla uses an equivalent software block.

Sure, but the point was, it is an open network for all. Paid, I'm sure, though.

Look, I'm not expecting Tesla to open up Superchargers, but if they are smart they'll be more liberal about Destination Chargers than some expect here - the big deal, the electricity is paid by the location after all...
Sure, the location pays electricity (other than special case of Tesla store locations, where Tesla also pays electricity), but Tesla's program is unique in that you (as a business location) can just contact them and they will pay for equipment and installation (within reasonable limits). No other manufacturer or group has a similar program (esp. not free to charge ones). If they did, even if they limited those chargers all for only to owners of their own brand, infrastructure growth would be a lot faster.

And on the subject of opening up superchargers, if other manufacturers cooperate with Tesla in paying for supercharger infrastructure, then Tesla has indicated they are willing to share. Destination chargers can be similar.

Last edited:
This is another situation that has popped up occasionally at a local golf course, like maybe twice in 2 years, but once was kinda critical. Unknown what the reason for this was. Maybe another Tesla was parked in the other spot. No worries. It happens. As you can see from the picture the Tesla charger and spot is free and Clipper creek spot is occupied by the Tesla. That day, I could have used this new adapter that I just purchased.

24302024558_c70e11972f_z.jpg
[/QUO

I would return your adapter ASAP. Not worth risking Eletrical damage to your smart car.

If you find your smart car does not have enough range then visit your local Mercedes dealer for a charge or look for another EV that offers the range you require.

Our smart car and out Leaf work fine for us most of the time but we occasionally go places that we count on having a destination charger. Happens with shorter range EV's. In this situation an adaptor to a Tesla EVSE would have been handy for us. These cars are what we can afford so we won't be looking at a Tesla probably until we retire in about 4 years ish.

Just curious. Why do you feel we will cause damage with using a Tesla EVSE?

But, the Tesla HPWC install is 100% intended for Tesla owners only. Just read the verbiage on the page I linked, and the brochure they give to businesses. I've never been on the business-end of one of the deals, so I can only guess what the terms of the deal are, but look at the language they use:

Tesla's mission statement takes precedent over any other of its statements, as is standard, like with the Constitution.
The Mission of Tesla. Our goal when we created Tesla a decade ago was the same as it is today: to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible.Nov 18, 2013

Musk made Tesla's patents free to use in good faith in order to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport . What @Webeevdrivers is doing is part of Tesla's plan. He's accelerating the advent of sustainable transport by being able to now go more places in his EV using Tesla's destination chargers. The only one, in my opinion, who can deny him that use is the owner of the destination charger and we know that's highly unlikely, and for good reason. He's just as welcome as any Tesla driver.

I welcome him with open arms too and hope to see him at a winery in BC sometime, if that's the part of Canada he's from. We've got superchargers and a lot of charging options. He has low range and few options. If he's charging at a winery and I need a charge, or vice versa, we'll work it out, likely over a glass of wine. If this catches on, I will need to leave a note like I do at J1772's that reads "if you need this charger, call #" if I'm at a destination charger. I like to pick up free electrons at the mall, etc. but worry that I don't really need them and think about the time my daughter was crying over the phone to me because the Leaf was at 0 and she's a few miles from home. She made it -- I told her not to cry, we'll just call a tow truck if it runs out, and she always asked me what she will tell her kids like I tell her (no internet, cell phones, etc.) and I said you can now tell your kids this story and they will laugh about the Leaf's low range, and you will tell them barely anyone drove EVs and we had 2.

But for now, the situation is such that cars with universal connectors are at a disadvantage because of Tesla’s first mover advantage and use of a proprietary connector to exercise some lock-in as part of their competitive strategy.

That's not my understanding. My understanding is that they felt it was a better design (can do fast charging with only one plug -- no separate ports or combos like Chademo and CCS), it needed to fit the tail light, and also have the door opener button as part of it -- then with an adapter it would also fit J1172s so no downside.

Last edited:
Tesla's mission statement takes precedent over any other of its statements, as is standard, like with the Constitution.

Musk made Tesla's patents free to use in good faith in order to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport . What @Webeevdrivers is doing is part of Tesla's plan. He's accelerating the advent of sustainable transport by being able to now go more places in his EV using Tesla's destination chargers. The only one, in my opinion, who can deny him that use is the owner of the destination charger and we know that's highly unlikely, and for good reason. He's just as welcome as any Tesla driver.

I welcome him with open arms too and hope to see him at a winery in BC sometime, if that's the part of Canada he's from. We've got superchargers and a lot of charging options. He has low range and few options. If he's charging at a winery and I need a charge, or vice versa, we'll work it out, likely over a glass of wine. I now think I need to leave a note like I do at J1772's that reads "if you need this charger, call #" if I'm at a destination charger. I like to pick up free electrons at the mall, etc. but worry that I don't really need them and think about the time my daughter was crying over the phone to me because the Leaf was at 0 and she's a few miles from home. She made it -- I told her not to cry, we'll just call a tow truck if it runs out, and she always asked me what she will tell her kids like I tell her (no internet, cell phones, etc.) and I said you can now tell your kids this story and they will laugh about the Leaf's low range, and you will tell them barely anyone drove EVs and we had 2.

That's not my understanding. My understanding is that they felt it was a better design, it needed to fit the tail light, and also have the door opener button as part of it -- then with an adapter it would also fit J1172s so no downside.

Yep. We are in Vernon BC (although presently in Palm Springs) . We like to take sunday drives out to the many wineries in the valley but some are on the limit of the leafs range (30 KWH battery) so we either have to deviate to a fast charger or pick up an hour at the winery. We prefer the latter as many wineries have a place where you can enjoy a picnic lunch and enjoy a bottle of wine. We usually make an afternoon out of it with a few people but make a point to never charge longer than we need. And we almost always leave a note on the charge station so they no how to find us in the winery..

That's not my understanding. My understanding is that they felt it was a better design, it needed to fit the tail light, and also have the door opener button as part of it -- then with an adapter it would also fit J1172s so no downside.
Actually the J1772 can fit also (given they fit the type 2 in Europe which is even larger). The issue is DC charging; the pins aren't large enough to support supercharger speeds.

However, on the flip side, I think the evidence points to Tesla intending for the design to also serve as physical access control. They never offered an adapter to charge other EVs on HPWCs (even though there is some demand by those that own both) and I don't think they expected a third party to make them. Otherwise, they would not install separate clipper creek units for other EVs.

Further evidence that Tesla has intention to reserve chargers for Tesla owners only, is the software block they have implemented in Europe (with some explicitly with signage differentiating the two).

Further evidence that Tesla has intention to reserve chargers for Tesla owners only, is the software block they have implemented in Europe (with some explicitly with signage differentiating the two).

You're missing my point. I do not doubt there are instances in Europe with charging that Tesla needs to protect its chargers. It could be a congestion issue, liability issue -- esp. given the risk with third party adapters. As such, I'm certain Tesla would never formally approve this. But again, that's not the point.

The point is: Is the OP's use of the charger against Tesla's policy? That's the issue as I see it.

Tesla does not have a policy on this issue. You can point to signage, software, etc. but no where can you point out to me "Destination chargers are not to be used by any vehicles other than Teslas." If you can find that for me, I'll agree with you. But I doubt you'll find it since Elon has talked about opening up superchargers to other vehicles:

Tesla is ‘actively talking to other automakers’ about opening up its Supercharger network, says CTO JB Straubel

My point is simply that this is not against any Tesla policy. What I have been pointed to are arguments that are easily rebutted. Of course, the signs read Tesla, because this adapter was only recently made, and we didn't want cars parking there that could not be charged which until now has only been Teslas. That's the reason for the sign. I could also go through and make arguments against all else that has been posted since none is directly on point. Instead, what I have been shown are simply arguments in support of your position. In reply, I pointed to Tesla's Mission Statement and there's no doubt what he is doing is part of Tesla's mission. Do you deny that?

The bottom line, in my view, is it's the call of the owner of the destination charger. He's paying the power. Yes, Tesla gave him a charger but again, unless he has a contract with Tesla saying no one else can use it, which I doubt, we should leave it alone. The OP is putting out less greenhouses gasses and driving mainly on rainwater since our power here is 85% hydro. We need more people doing that -- yet he gets jumped all over for posting here as if he's committed some crime. In my view, he's part of Tesla's mission. Plus, no one is going to be put out by this, since he's also leaving notes.

It's Tesla drivers that are parked in J1172 not needing the charge that's the problem, not the OP, at least in my view. My daughters can't take our Leaf to certain malls now because they're full of Teslas charging and it won't make it home without a charge.

Last edited: