Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One last taunt from the best coast ... because I'm working on a sunday night and that makes me surly.

Pic of my little guy taken LAST weekend, on Feb 22, at a local park down the street from our house.

20150222_094836.jpg

Toronto experienced it's coldest winter since 1934 (when the lake froze over and you could walk to Rochester) and the coldest winter in history at YYZ. As of Feb 28 we have had 36 consecutive days without topping 0. That is the third most on record and looking at the forecast we should pass the #2 year which was 1978. But the string should bring on Mon March 9 if the forecasts correct.

Yeesh..glad February is over. Looking forward to March 9 !

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425298287.145218.jpg

I received my s85 on December 11th 2014. Needless to say I've rarely experienced anything much above -15° here in Montreal since getting my car, but I was pleasantly surprised yesterday at -4°. Got rated range for the first time with a mix of city and highway driving (without drafting). I'm getting more impressed with this car with every degree. Bring on the warm weather!

I have noticed and wonder whether anyone has experienced condensation on the inside of the car after pre-heating the car. We have noticed this many times . Also when we are away for awhile, we notice that white mould like stuff is on the leather. On our return. The ranger ,who fixed our battery problrm, said he had never seen this problem before and took photos for his records.

Any views from anyone as to how to prevent this from occurring? The Model S is parked in an unheated garage. Thanks.

I have noticed and wonder whether anyone has experienced condensation on the inside of the car after pre-heating the car. We have noticed this many times . Also when we are away for awhile, we notice that white mould like stuff is on the leather. On our return. The ranger ,who fixed our battery problrm, said he had never seen this problem before and took photos for his records.

Any views from anyone as to how to prevent this from occurring? The Model S is parked in an unheated garage. Thanks.

That sounds like a heck of a moisture problem. Do you have winter floor mats to catch snow from boots or is lots of snow soaking into the carpet?

That sounds like a heck of a moisture problem. Do you have winter floor mats to catch snow from boots or is lots of snow soaking into the carpet?

It started happening for me since the beginning of colder weather and found that a custom temp control setting of auto with the exception of not recirculate and set the venting to go to the floor and upper vents then I no longer have this issue. I got this from other owners and it has worked perfectly for me for the duration of the entire winter.

Thank you Clea!

We have a different situation to most people as we travel a lot and are away for long periods. The condensation problem was first noticed by Peter M when he checked out the car for us while we were away. He suggested that we warm the car periodically while we were away.

We also noticed the same situation occurring when we returned from our overseas trip. The Ranger, who visited us soon afterwards to resolve another problem in the car, saw the problem but was not able to tell us why it was occurring. He took pictures for his records.

However once we start driving the car with the heat on, we found the problem appeared to dissipate; however the next day the problem would resurface including both white streeks and condensation.

This is one item that we will be following up with the service section when we return from our current trip - yes we are away again.

Whenever I return home in winter with a warm moist car, I leave the windows open so that the warm moist air does not precipitate onto car surfaces as the interior air cools down. Once the temperature inside the car is the same as the external temperature I close the car up. This should work particularly well inside an unheated garage.

The temperature is positive!!! The temperature is positive!!!

1C.

The temperature is negative!!! The temperature is negative!!!

-1 C.

Our Place opening shelter due to cold weather forecast

Victoria Times Colonist
March 3, 2015 12:07 PM

With cold weather in the forecast, Our Place is gearing up to provide shelter to those who need it.
The Pandora Avenue facility is opening both its overnight shelter and warming station, said Grant McKenzie, Our Place director of communications.
McKenzie said it’s the first time this year that Our Place has used its cold weather protocol, which means providing 30 places for people to sleep. At the warming station, which opens at 7 p.m. and remains open all night, people who prefer not to sleep in the shelter can enjoy coffee, tea and snacks.

The temperature is negative!!! The temperature is negative!!!

-1 C.

Our Place opening shelter due to cold weather forecast

Victoria Times Colonist
March 3, 2015 12:07 PM

With cold weather in the forecast, Our Place is gearing up to provide shelter to those who need it.
The Pandora Avenue facility is opening both its overnight shelter and warming station, said Grant McKenzie, Our Place director of communications.
McKenzie said it’s the first time this year that Our Place has used its cold weather protocol, which means providing 30 places for people to sleep. At the warming station, which opens at 7 p.m. and remains open all night, people who prefer not to sleep in the shelter can enjoy coffee, tea and snacks.

Curious. Around here they open them when it hits -20.

Last edited:
The cold is supposed to break after toady - the long term forecast shows highs of 0 or better for every day going forward. It will be nice to see what energy usage you get in above zero temps - I have owned my P85D for 9 weeks but have almost never driven in above zero conditions.