Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's the Batteries, Stupid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like welcome news...

Other than being great news for US battery manufacturing (and making JRP3 happy), it says that GM expects to sell pure EVs in volumes of at least multiple 10,000s. If anyone still had doubts that pure EVs will sell more than to a limited group of enthusiasts and then be done with, this is the time to put them aside. Also, using A123 makes it likely that fast-charging is part of the game (I'd expect). I think this also good for Tesla (and not only for pure EVs), since it will expand the market more than being competition.

That's for sure, next to Altairnano A123 is one of the highest cost per kWh. High C rate cells cost more than high energy density cells but A123 has improved their density and hopefully been able to address their cost issues as well. Increased volume should help reduce costs even more.

Thin Films Could Boost Car Battery of Future

Design News - Captain Hybrid - Thin Films Could Boost Car Battery of Future

One maxim of electric car battery design is that energy and power are a tradeoff. Boost the energy, and you lose power, and vice versa.

Now, though, a professor at the University of Illinois has developed a battery structure that changes all that, and he hopes to have it in production applications within three years. Paul Braun, a professor of material science, says his structure could enable users to boost energy without sacrificing power.

Also from this company: A Battery that Charges in minutes for a car. Seconds for a cell phone!

Sounds like the charger will need 1.21 GW.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2427&d=1314203990.jpg

Attachments

• future_1674153c.jpg
    future_1674153c.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 574
I'm rather bored with articles claiming quick charge times that will be almost impossible to implement in the real world. Give me lower cost per kWh, better wh/kg, with good cycle life, and reasonable C rates. I don't care if I have to wait 10 minutes or 20 minutes after 200 miles of driving.

Surprised manufacturers are asking for 5000 though.
It does seem rather excessive but it would do two things for OEM's, take away any worry of warranty issues due to pack degradation, even in extreme use, and it pushes off the recycling issues far into the future, which OEM's will presumably be responsible for and may not yet have a clear path for at the moment.

Battery Storage Could Get a Huge Boost from Seaweed - Technology Review

Lithium-ion batteries could hold up to 10 times as much energy per cell if silicon anodes were used instead of graphite ones. But manufacturers don't use silicon because such anodes degrade quickly as the battery is charged and discharged.

Researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology and Clemson University think they might have found the ingredient that will make silicon anodes work—a common binding agent and food additive derived from algae and used in many household products. They say this material could not only make lithium-ion batteries more efficient, but also cleaner and cheaper to manufacture.

The full potential of a silicon anode can't be exploited until researchers develop a matching cathode capable of handling the same amount of lithium ions. But even with existing cathodes, alginate-silicon anodes could increase the capacity of lithium-ion batteries by 30 to 40 percent, according to Yushin.

Green Car Congress: New ORNL titanium dioxide material shows high-rate capability and long-time cyclability for Li-ion batteries

[...] and shows superior high-rate charge–discharge capability and long-time cyclability for lithium-ion batteries, according to their paper published in the journal Advanced Materials.

The new material allows the battery to be charged to 50% of full capacity in six minutes while the traditional graphite-based lithium-ion battery would be just 10 percent charged at the same current, said Hansan Liu, lead author of the paper. Compared to commercial lithium titanate material, the ORNL compound also boasts a higher capacity—256 vs. 165 mAh g-1—and a sloping discharge voltage that is good for controlling state of charge.

He also observed, however, that the production process of this material is complex and involves many steps, so more research remains to determine whether it is scalable.