Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's the Batteries, Stupid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are confusing two different products. The MIT video talks about a new type of battery using entirely new technology and not LiOn, that will be much cheaper and can be produced at mass scale. I am fairly certain this is not for automotive usage.

This video is just a few weeks old.
Thanks. As I said new to this and was poking around to learn about batteries. I stopped watching when some of the other posts said it wasn't really worth watching - guess I need to go back and watch.

So is that all Tesla did in Australia? Parallel a bunch of LiOn batteries together ( I know it's way more come than that but I'm generalizing)?

Thanks. As I said new to this and was poking around to learn about batteries. I stopped watching when some of the other posts said it wasn't really worth watching - guess I need to go back and watch.

So is that all Tesla did in Australia? Parallel a bunch of LiOn batteries together ( I know it's way more come than that but I'm generalizing)?

Yes, but it is indeed way more than that. You have to have cooling circuits, thermal runaway prevention and containment, inverters and chargers, switch gear, monitoring and control, maintenance ability, etc.

Reactions: CLK350
My understanding is that silicon is subject to fracture and the nanoparticles reduce the fractures

Yes indeed. This has been an active research area for many years by probably all lithium ion battery cell manufacturers. Tesla (well, Panasonic) has been rumored to have had silicon in their cells for the last couple of years. Doing it right without creating longevity issues is the rub.

It's got the prefix "nano" in it, so it's gotta be good!

Seriously though... one of the issues with silicon inclusion in the anode is that it swells, leading to fracturing. One method to combat this is to "pre-fracture" the silicon before it's inclusion, thus eliminating the physical size change and fracturing.

This might be the next logical step...

It's got the prefix "nano" in it, so it's gotta be good!

Seriously though... one of the issues with silicon inclusion in the anode is that it swells, leading to fracturing. One method to combat this is to "pre-fracture" the silicon before it's inclusion, thus eliminating the physical size change and fracturing.

This might be the next logical step...
It looks like nanoparticles are the next logical step.

It looks like nanoparticles are the next logical step.
Sure, did all that years ago and just last year all the patent issues cleared up. remember?
https://genesisnanotech.wordpress.com/tag/slac/

Show success for research grants and actually making a useable/sellable/scalable product are four different things.

PS- also note 2nd article down the above slac page and see "self healing" batteries may last forever.:cool:

Sure, did all that years ago and just last year all the patent issues cleared up. remember?
https://genesisnanotech.wordpress.com/tag/slac/

Show success for research grants and actually making a useable/sellable/scalable product are four different things.

PS- also note 2nd article down the above slac page and see "self healing" batteries may last forever.:cool:
I think we all realize that it's a long step from research to production. I posted this article since it was a new research approach. I do realize that it may not lead to anything. I think it's good that lots of people are working on improving batteries. One day, one or more of the research approaches will probably lead to better batteries.

• Love
Reactions: Brando

Well - that blog is no more - someone tried to archive that page in October 2013 at the Internet Archive, unsuccessfully. I suggest we find a way to archive here web pages that are being referenced - otherwise it makes the whole thread sort of useless. Maybe attach the WebPage.mht archive or (not as good but better than nothing a jpeg snapshot of some of that web page).
.eea7390
TESLA.TMC.archived.jpg

That's true, but I think what one of the commenters mentioned is true too, that the battery pack is more like an engine, a part that isn't replaced for the car's lifecycle. Electricity is the fuel. Foreign made batteries are as much a threat to national security as foreign made consumer goods; these things we could always build at home if the situation calls for it, but for resources like oil we really have no choice. Yes it's probably bad for the job market in the US, but it doesn't directly related to security, esp since the countries they listed as primary battery producing nations are Japan and Germany, both strong allies to us.
batteries = fuel tank
Tesla GigaFactory one of the largest battery factories in the world. Still has room to grow even larger.

Since this thread was pulled from the grave might as well stick this here. I'm skeptical to say the least.
Nano-diamond self-charging batteries could disrupt energy as we know it

Tesla related, they use a Model S in their cartoon video.

Well, the technology is real and scientifically sound. My two questions on it are how much power can you draw and cost. Here’s a three year old technology primer than I found which seems to provide some technical answers (the NDB website is slow today, no doubt high volume). FACT CHECK: Are Radioactive 'Diamond Batteries' a Real Thing?

However, I’ve got to say that I don’t like their way of getting private investors. Big red flag. If this company was real, a VC would have invested in them by now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JRP3