TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

It's the Batteries, Stupid!

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by vfx, May 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. OCTuna

OCTuna Member

Thanks. As I said new to this and was poking around to learn about batteries. I stopped watching when some of the other posts said it wasn't really worth watching - guess I need to go back and watch.

So is that all Tesla did in Australia? Parallel a bunch of LiOn batteries together ( I know it's way more come than that but I'm generalizing)?

2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Yes, but it is indeed way more than that. You have to have cooling circuits, thermal runaway prevention and containment, inverters and chargers, switch gear, monitoring and control, maintenance ability, etc.

3. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Parallel to increase amp hour capacity and series to increase voltage. Plus all the other stuff mentioned above.

• Like x 1
  4. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Of course Tesla/Panasonic are already using some silicon in their cells.

6. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

My understanding is that silicon is subject to fracture and the nanoparticles reduce the fractures

7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Yes indeed. This has been an active research area for many years by probably all lithium ion battery cell manufacturers. Tesla (well, Panasonic) has been rumored to have had silicon in their cells for the last couple of years. Doing it right without creating longevity issues is the rub.

8. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

It's got the prefix "nano" in it, so it's gotta be good!

Seriously though... one of the issues with silicon inclusion in the anode is that it swells, leading to fracturing. One method to combat this is to "pre-fracture" the silicon before it's inclusion, thus eliminating the physical size change and fracturing.

This might be the next logical step...

9. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

It looks like nanoparticles are the next logical step.

10. Brando

Brando Active Member

Sure, did all that years ago and just last year all the patent issues cleared up. remember?
    https://genesisnanotech.wordpress.com/tag/slac/

Show success for research grants and actually making a useable/sellable/scalable product are four different things.

PS- also note 2nd article down the above slac page and see "self healing" batteries may last forever.:cool:

11. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

I think we all realize that it's a long step from research to production. I posted this article since it was a new research approach. I do realize that it may not lead to anything. I think it's good that lots of people are working on improving batteries. One day, one or more of the research approaches will probably lead to better batteries.

• Love x 1