Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's the end of an era..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dutchie

Jun 9, 2013
Canada
I came across this comparison between the M3 and BMW M3. I don't know if they tested the latest version of the BMW but this car used to be the pinnacle of motoring.

The BMW is now beaten in every way by the Tesla. I think this is a turning point in automotive history. Not just the fact that the BMW is beaten but the way it has been beaten by a car with a different power train. To be honest, I don't see them coming back.

It is indeed the end of an era.

Tesla Model 3 Performance Crushes Fossil BMW M3 Around Race Track | CleanTechnica

I agree but I think BMW will hang their hat on something that is 5-10 laps. That Tesla can beat them in 1-2 laps but not longer.

In the end, none of it is significant in terms of how we actually drive these cars. I love my Tesla M3 but BMW lovers have plenty to like too.

The BMW is now beaten in every way by the Tesla. I think this is a turning point in automotive history. Not just the fact that the BMW is beaten but the way it has been beaten by a car with a different power train. To be honest, I don't see them coming back.
Hm, that's probably a bit premature. For one, this was a very short track, but more importantly it's AWD vs. RWD. The new M3 gets AWD. But still, kudos to Tesla. Not a small feat to catch up this quickly (pun intended ;)).

I have owned every version of the bmw M3 and just sold my M4 to get into the model 3

I don’t miss the M4 at all. Dont even miss my loud exhaust .

Model 3 feels faster to me even if it isn’t . The M4 handles abit better cause it has less body roll and is more nimble and the brakes are much better on the M4.

But steering feel is better on the model 3.

And the tech and stereo system infinitely better on model 3 . And of course AP is a game changer . And obviously no more pumping gas .

I have bought at least 10 bmws in my days and I can honestly say I’ll never buy a ice car again . My wife has a X5 and I’m trying to talk her into a model Y!. And I’m thinking of upgrading to performance model 3 from dual motor long range cause I love the car so much . And I only have 250 miles on it !

Only neg about the model 3 is that your range goes down 20 miles for every 12 miles you drive and this is driving normally !

Only risk imo is that Tesla goes bankrupt cause Elon talks a lot whimsically but often doesn’t deliver . Another 3 quarters like this one and Tesla will be bankrupt unfortunately!

I agree but I think BMW will hang their hat on something that is 5-10 laps. That Tesla can beat them in 1-2 laps but not longer.

In the end, none of it is significant in terms of how we actually drive these cars. I love my Tesla M3 but BMW lovers have plenty to like too.
In our track sessions the lap time holds pretty well, not “1-2 laps” performance.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Only neg about the model 3 is that your range goes down 20 miles for every 12 miles you drive and this is driving normally !

That's a bit too high. Especially if the weather is good. Worst case I winter I got 20 miles drop for every 10 though. So it can be even worse.

My average is currently 333 wh/mile and that's with Canadian winter driving since I got my car in October and drove over half my 18,000 miles in winter.

That would be a drop of 16.5 miles for every 12 driven for me so far. I have an AWD non performance with 18 inch aeros. And the average is slowly dropping.

I have bought at least 10 bmws in my days and I can honestly say I’ll never buy a ice car again .

Most of the people feel that way after driving a Tesla. When my Merc comes of lease, I will get either the refreshed model S (I mean if there is an updated interior) or the Taycan. That will make us an EV only family.

• Love
Reactions: GSP