Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Time to Build Your Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone in CA who's been contacted look over this summary:

1) You get a phone call and you configure your car over the phone.
2) There is no special Design Studio that shows you more than the TeslaMotors.com website.
3) They send you a formal MVPA (purchase agreement) by email.
4) The MVPA has an "expected delivery date" on it.
5) The Delivery Charge is called "Tesla Personal Delivery" and is $990.
6) Dealer Prep Charge is called "Final Inspection, Preparation and Coordination" and is $180.
7) Registration transfer and titling fee is $781.
8) CA tire fee is $7.
9) You have 30 days in which to sign the MVPA, at which time $10K of your deposit becomes non-refundable.
10) You'll be contacted again 30 days before delivery to make logistical/physical arrangements.
11) Test drives will be available before deliveries, but not before you have to sign the MVPA.

Is that about it? Anything I've got wrong or missing?

Can someone in CA who's been contacted look over this summary:
1) You get a phone call and you configure your car over the phone.
2) There is no special Design Studio that shows you more than the TeslaMotors.com website.
3) They send you a formal MVPA (purchase agreement) by email.
4) The MVPA has an "expected delivery date" on it.
6) Dealer Prep Charge is called "Final Inspection, Preparation and Coordination" and is $180.

It started with an email with a return email and phone number for me, not with a phone call.
You don't have to configure your car right away.
When you do, you get an email quote, which you accept before they prepare the MVPA. (The image I posted yesterday was from the quote.)
I believe the 30 days is from your phone call until the signed MVPA must be returned.

I've only gotten to step 6 so far, but with the above notes your info looks right.

OK, got my email also. This is great! I am Sig #126 for the stats people. I have no add'l info yet but I'll let you know if I learn something new.

This is all great news! At least 126 people contacted already to configure their car.

Have we definitively answered the question as to whether these S reservation numbers are just at the front of the S line, or are Sig Specials (Roadster owners) a separate list (last count from here looks like 221 Sig Specials).

It looks like that means that after they get through 221 Sig Specials then they go back to 1 for "regular" Signatures, but I'm not sure if that's right. I'm Sig #304, so I'm either less than 200 away from getting the call, or about 500 away, which would probably mean a month or two difference in time.

This is all great news! At least 126 people contacted already to configure their car.

Have we definitively answered the question as to whether these S reservation numbers are just at the front of the S line, or are Sig Specials (Roadster owners) a separate list (last count from here looks like 221 Sig Specials).

It looks like that means that after they get through 221 Sig Specials then they go back to 1 for "regular" Signatures, but I'm not sure if that's right. I'm Sig #304, so I'm either less than 200 away from getting the call, or about 500 away, which would probably mean a month or two difference in time.

There are far more than 221 Sig Specials (almost 1/3 more)

Can you explain a bit more? If you don't configure, then don't you lose your spot in line?

I should clarify that this may not be a policy. It may have just been the situation right now. But I asked about three different ways and they were very clear that as long as I got my MVPA in within the next 30 days I would not lose my place in line. I asked if "someone else has reservation #130, and that person signed the MVPA today but I don't turn it in for 30 days, I'll still get my car before them?" The rep said clearly that I would still get my car first.

Of course there's always the possibility that the person was wrong or the situation could change (say they are ahead of schedule in manufacturing so they pull more cars into process sooner than expected). So don't bet your life on this. I knew what I wanted so I'm locking it down now anyway because I want to be sure everything is in place to move as quickly as possible.

7) Registration transfer and titling fee is $781.
8) CA tire fee is $7.

Adding up all these fees takes you to $1958, so it looks like total "shipping & handling" is coming in the same as the Roadster.

That's about $1,000 more than their competitors.

Adding up all these fees takes you to $1958, so it looks like total "shipping & handling" is coming in the same as the Roadster.

That's about $1,000 more than their competitors.

How is that possible - all car deals have a shipping/freight chage which is typically 500+. Are they charging more for CA registration than other dealers? I thought this number would be set by the state and known so no markup tolerated

How is that possible - all car deals have a shipping/freight chage which is typically 500+. Are they charging more for CA registration than other dealers? I thought this number would be set by the state and known so no markup tolerated

Registration in CA scales with car price. Nobody bundles it into dealer prep charges. On the roadster it was above and beyond the $1950. On a BMW 550i the "Destination & Handling" charge is $895. $990 is not that much different.

Registration fee and sales/use tax calculator for California:

Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator

Most of the $781 is the vehicle license fee, which is a property tax. You do get to deduct the VLF on your taxes, as long as you're not paying AMT.

Right. And, this is only applicable to CA buyers of course. To state the obvious, out-of-state folks will pay whatever their state/county/city dictates in terms of sales tax and other fees on top of the $990 + $180 that Tesla charges.

I should clarify that this may not be a policy. It may have just been the situation right now. But I asked about three different ways and they were very clear that as long as I got my MVPA in within the next 30 days I would not lose my place in line. I asked if "someone else has reservation #130, and that person signed the MVPA today but I don't turn it in for 30 days, I'll still get my car before them?" The rep said clearly that I would still get my car first.

Except that they are likely to batch production of similar cars, for efficiency reasons. They are also likely to batch shipment of cars. So don't expect to get your car in strict order by reservation number. There will be some slop, probably on the order of weeks.

dadaleus, and Dave (dsm363),

Since both of you are Roadster owners and atleast, Dave, you'll still be keeping your Roadster when you get the Model S, have you heard from Tesla about the following clause that I spotted in my original reservation agreement from Feb 2010?! Do you see the same in your original reservation terms?!

Estimated Purchase Price
The estimated purchase price for the Model S is still being determined. If you are the registered owner of a Tesla Roadster when you receive your Model S, you will receive a $10,000 discount off the final sales price of the Model S.