Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

it's worse to pay 4300 $ for full self driving ? for MX 90D 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's worse to pay 4300 $ for full self driving ? for MX 90D 2017 with Ap2 ?

i get upgrate in my app ( check attcment photo ) to get upgrade to get full self driving ? and pay 4000 $ ?
how it's work with ap2 ? it's ok ?

Attachments

• viber_image_2019-12-21_12-43-23.jpg
    viber_image_2019-12-21_12-43-23.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 94
Question - I am a 2017 X owner with FSD enabled. I am seeing this offered in the "upgrades" section of my app. I am positive I use FSD features already such as autopark or navigate on autopilot. Is this just a glitch in the app for me or is everyone with FSD already seeing this?

Reactions: oliver4ever
Question - I am a 2017 X owner with FSD enabled. I am seeing this offered in the "upgrades" section of my app. I am positive I use FSD features already such as autopark or navigate on autopilot. Is this just a glitch in the app for me or is everyone with FSD already seeing this?

No the app is screwed up. I bought FSD after I took delivery last year, and the app is still trying to sell it to me again. My guess is it is because although you paid for/have it, you really don’t *have it* until you get the new HW3 computer. My SC keeps telling tells me I am on the list, but not here yet. I suspect when I eventually get it, the FSD installation will be complete and the offer to buy will go away. At least that is my theory <sigh>.

Like you I have all the autopark, enhanced summon and other features formerly known as EAP, just none of the advanced visualizations and tricks associated with FSD. Need the new computer for those (I am already on 2019.40.50.1).

Last edited:

I think what you have is Enhanced Auto Pilot (EAP) which was paid for at purchase time. That is what I have on my 2017 X ($6600 CDN at purchase time). To date there has not been any difference between EAP and FSD but with this new release the FSD features start to diverge. There are many threads about this.
My own account shows the FSD upgrade available at $5300 CDN. I do have HW 2.5 (I think since it is 09/2107 build) so buying FSD now will also get a HW3 upgrade included but who knows when this will actually happen. Holding out for now to see how things play out.

I think what you have is Enhanced Auto Pilot (EAP) which was paid for at purchase time. That is what I have on my 2017 X ($6600 CDN at purchase time). To date there has not been any difference between EAP and FSD but with this new release the FSD features start to diverge. There are many threads about this.
My own account shows the FSD upgrade available at $5300 CDN. I do have HW 2.5 (I think since it is 09/2107 build) so buying FSD now will also get a HW3 upgrade included but who knows when this will actually happen. Holding out for now to see how things play out.
I purchased my 2017 X used from Tesla recently and they told me it had FSD. Correct me if I am wrong but if I have features like autopark or Navigate on Autopilot those are FSD features?
If it let's you upgrade, that would be a good deal. I heard long ago they stopped offering FSD on AP2.0. It is a much costlier ordeal for Tesla to upgrade the 2.0 builds.
If I have a 2017 X I believe that means I would have version 2.0? The upgrade is still visible on my app. I think this is just an error...

When one of my fobs went dead I went to the SC to have the battery replaced and they couldn't get it to work. They scheduled for a ranger to come out to fix the fob. The ranger told me that it can take hours to get a fob to work again so he just give me 2 new ones and de-programed my old fobs.

If it let's you upgrade, that would be a good deal. I heard long ago they stopped offering FSD on AP2.0. It is a much costlier ordeal for Tesla to upgrade the 2.0 builds.

You heard wrong. I have an AP2.0 with EAP. And a AP2.0 w/o even AP. Both cars have the option to upgrade to FSD on the app and the my account page. What is no longer the option is the ability to upgrade to EAP. AP2.0 cars only have the option to upgrade to AP or FSD if you have neither.

But neither car is currently eligible for the hardware. As of the date on this post, there isn’t any feature differences between an EAP AP2.0 car and a FSD AP2.0 car. Both get the features currently labeled and available in the FSD package (smart summon, navigate on autopilot) and both miss out on features such as dash cam recording.

I have an AP2.0 with EAP. And a AP2.0 w/o even AP.
Since there is very little information on someone upgrading, can you answer a few questions. What is the cost difference for both scenarios? i.e. adding AP and FSD.
But neither car is currently eligible for the hardware.
This doesn't make sense to me. If you upgrade to FSD, are you saying you are not eligable for the new hardware? FSD is not possible without the new hardware.
As of the date on this post, there isn’t any feature differences between an EAP AP2.0 car and a FSD AP2.0 car. Both get the features currently labeled and available in the FSD package (smart summon, navigate on autopilot) and both miss out on features such as dash cam recording.
You are making an assumption since you do not have FSD on either of your cars. But, I would like you to confirm my assumptions if you can. I would appreciate it. I heard that AP2.0 FSD vehicles have Lane Departure Avoidance with options to set to Off, Warning, and Assist. Also, I heard that current FSD cars have Smart Summon in addition to Summon. Can you confirm both?

With that being said, the next major update will separate FSD AP2.0 with access road NOA capabilities as Elon mentioned.

My original statement still sounds valid with your comments that you cannot upgrade hardware. I can and will when available, again as Elon tweeted for FSD AP2.0 original purchasers. It just doesn't sound right that you can upgrade to FSD but not get the hardware. Seems like another path that will split and cause more complexities..having to keep track of original FSD purchasers from the current FSD purchasers.

Last edited:
Since there is very little information on someone upgrading, can you answer a few questions. What is the cost difference for both scenarios? i.e. adding AP and FSD.

On the EAP enabled, it currently costs $4,000 to upgrade to FSD. It has varied though and has been as little as $2,000. On the non-AP car, it costs $3,000 to upgrade to AP. $7,000 to upgrade to FSD. These are all current prices of this post, it has varied wildly in the past year.

This doesn't make sense to me. If you upgrade to FSD, are you saying you are not eligable for the new hardware? FSD is not possible without the new hardware.

Anyone who has upgrade is supposedly eligible for the upgrade. Tesla has also marketed all AP2.0+ cars as being Full Self Driving ready. But there have not been any AP3.0/FSD computers installed into an AP2.0 car, only AP2.5 upgrades currently. Separately, there also seems to be an issue with a MCU2 upgrade from a MCU1 and it is unknown if there's further compatibility issues from the various other replacements (ie, camera upgrade). What I meant is that currently, whether you have EAP or FSD on an AP2.0 car, there is no current difference. There may - or may not - be one in the future, it is currently an unknown.

You are making an assumption since you do not have FSD on either of your cars.

I had it on my 3rd and even had it briefly on my 4th/2020 Raven before I returned the car.

But, I would like you to confirm my assumptions if you can. I would appreciate it. I heard that AP2.0 FSD vehicles have Lane Departure Avoidance with options to set to Off, Warning, and Assist. Also, I heard that current FSD cars have Smart Summon in addition to Summon. Can you confirm both?.

I can confirm this. Both FSD and EAP has Lane Departure Warning (Steering wheel shake) as well as Lane Departure Avoidance (actively pulls back into the lane) Both also have Smart Summon and AutoPark, Navigate on Autopilot, Traffic Aware with the ability to initiate lane changes based on navigation as well as speed of additional vehicles.

With that being said, the next major update will separate FSD AP2.0 with access road NOA capabilities as Elon mentioned.

My original statement still sounds valid with your comments that you cannot upgrade hardware. I can and will when available, again as Elon tweeted for FSD AP2.0 original purchasers. It just doesn't sound right that you can upgrade to FSD but not get the hardware. Seems like another path that will split and cause more complexities..having to keep track of original FSD purchasers from the current FSD purchasers.

FSD is still being offered today, literally in the app it's called Full Self Driving. It's EAP that's not offered. Currently there is no hardware path, but that doesn't mean there won't be one in the future. At the end of the day, Tesla still has to fulfill the purchase and upgrade from EAP. I'm not sure if they'll fulfill that via software only, or resort to a hardware upgrade but they'll need to deliver on promised features. My guess is that the discontinuation of EAP being offered is to draw a clearer line between FSD and AP as FSD and EAP were too close in feature.

Even with the next major update, who knows if it'll be available. Smart Summon wasn't supposed to be available to EAP, but it is. Dashcam was, but it isn't. I don't know that you're wrong, or that I'm right. I just know as of today, FSD is offered still as an upgrade path for AP2.0 users. EAP is not. Next month...who knows. This is Tesla...