Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've been waiting years and years for fsd, and still zip, nada. Not even offered a beta test...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 781520What about us eh? We don't count? We paid too you know. Or am I being, you know, seeing myself as a victim?

Two guys go to a Tesla website. An Aussie and a Yank. They both buy the same fsd feature with the same text advertising. They both pay a comparable amount taking into account foreign exchange factors. One gets all the privileges... The other gets told to stop complaining and be happy with the little she has...

Fair dinkum mate...
What an absolute waste of screen realestate. I mean look at it, they couldn’t even build it so the road is in center of the screen. It looks just bleh..

Why do you pay $10k for this crap.. lol just joking. 😜

In 5 years Nissans might have FSD for $800.
bruh... I just can't... there is just so much wrong with this. Firstly, zero percent possibility that Nissan are taking the necessary steps to get a capable L2 ADAS anywhere near FSD today let alone in 5 years. Secondly, even if by some miracle (i.e. licensing it from MobilEye) there is no way they would ever offer it at $800. The market cap of MobilEye and others in that space are dependant on a $xx,000s of revenue per vehicle sold. There is no way it will be sold for $800 in this decade even if its solved.

I think when you are offered (and pay for) a product called "Full Self Driving", even if there are plenty of caveats about timeframes, there is a reasonable expectation that sometime during your ownership of the vehicle it will be fully self-driving.
I think when you are offered (and pay for) a product called "Magic Keyboard" there is a reasonable exception that during your ownership it would perform actual magic.

Did you ever read the product description on the website before checking the FSD box? The description is abundantly clear on what you are buying today and what is a future software update. At no point does Tesla ever say that the FSD package will make your vehicle fully autonomous. It says that AutoSteer on City Streets is the only feature that will eventually be released under the package.

bruh... I just can't... there is just so much wrong with this. Firstly, zero percent possibility that Nissan are taking the necessary steps to get a capable L2 ADAS anywhere near FSD today let alone in 5 years. Secondly, even if by some miracle (i.e. licensing it from MobilEye) there is no way they would ever offer it at $800. The market cap of MobilEye and others in that space are dependant on a $xx,000s of revenue per vehicle sold. There is no way it will be sold for $800 in this decade even if its solved.

I think when you are offered (and pay for) a product called "Magic Keyboard" there is a reasonable exception that during your ownership it would perform actual magic.

Did you ever read the product description on the website before checking the FSD box? The description is abundantly clear on what you are buying today and what is a future software update. At no point does Tesla ever say that the FSD package will make your vehicle fully autonomous. It says that AutoSteer on City Streets is the only feature that will eventually be released under the package.
Nissan has been working on autonomous driving for years and were advanced 5 years ago, and "magic" obviously is a marketing term.

Nissan has been working on autonomous driving for years and were advanced 5 years ago
If by advanced you mean using MobilEye EyeQ stack and then HD mapping the areas they do demos in then yes they were "advanced". I can point to 5 other companies that have the same thing. By the way, the 4x LIDARs in that sensor suite alone are $20,000 and you expect that a system that's superior to what FSD will be like in 5 years will be an $800 option? If they were so far ahead why haven't they got anything even as good as the free AutoPilot included with every Tesla today?

The only risk that Tesla faces is that making an ADAS system as good as FSD is way easier than they thought. I think we can all agree its the antithesis of easier than expected challenge. The very best engineers at the world with a company culture that gives them unilateral freedom to make it happen are still struggling, really struggling to make it happen. What hope does a 100 year old company riddled with bureaucracy in achieving the same thing?

"magic" obviously is a marketing term.
Yes exactly my point :) Same as any marketing term. ProPilot, BlueCruise etc etc. Does ProPilot literally mean a professional driver will drive you around? Full Self Driving is just a term used to describe optional convenience features. The difference is that its possible, even likely, that at some point these convenience features will get so good that you as a driver feel like the car is doing almost all of the driving task. However once that's 100% obviously clear the price of FSD will no longer be $10,000. You really are paying for what you get with a free lottery ticket if they solve within the timespan you own the car.

It’s easy to be frustrated by unavailability of FSD beta like somehow you are deserving of it, but you always have to put in context that you got it cheap (plus other features) and the final price of it after 5+ years will be far higher.

Personally I won’t be getting it because I don’t want to share my car and like stepping on pedal.

and the final price of it after 5+ years will be far higher.
There is zero proof for such a claim, only opinion. Given your aging car is locked to it, its my opinion that fsd value in the current form will fall with your car, just like any other optional extra. If it were locked to the owner instead, as a form of brand loyalty, then under that circumstance I could see a sellable commodity that may increase in value. This however is also not reality.

It also seems to me that if you have paid for something at the price requested by the seller (like you I have not) and regardless of whether that is considered cheap or expensive, once you have paid there is good reason to think you deserve the right to the goods. Not sure why you could think otherwise?

Last edited:
The value of anything from crowdfunding to buying a lottery ticket to investing in shares or cryptocurrency can only, at first, be estimated. Over time the sense or senselessness of it will become evident. Occasionally some investments will offer a reward while you are waiting for your money to double or your investment to tank. FSD is very much like that...you are not only buying a chance of future gains but you are getting a product that is at once useful. It may not have many uses...but you don’t get many functions to a dollar when buying a new car...and you rarely get functionality than can improve over time...and almost never with the added chance of going up in value.
So all in all...it’s a reasonably good deal...in my opinion 😜

The value of anything from crowdfunding to buying a lottery ticket to investing in shares or cryptocurrency can only, at first, be estimated. Over time the sense or senselessness of it will become evident. Occasionally some investments will offer a reward while you are waiting for your money to double or your investment to tank. FSD is very much like that...you are not only buying a chance of future gains but you are getting a product that is at once useful. It may not have many uses...but you don’t get many functions to a dollar when buying a new car...and you rarely get functionality than can improve over time...and almost never with the added chance of going up in value.
So all in all...it’s a reasonably good deal...in my opinion 😜
tesla like all manufacturers provide a warranty. In this case on the chassis its 4 years. This means they dont expect their product to not have significant issues after 4 years, which is why out of warranty tesla’s (like all modern mass produced cars) have a significant decrease in capital value. Any optional add on’s that are part of the car form part of its value, and to date there is no evidence that a fsd paid up car sells for more than non-fsd.
Also I don’t do investments that tank. Research before investing is your friend. Look through the emotion and hype. Is the company or product durable. How much future gain is already taken. If you’re investments keep tanking it‘s best to review your approach rather than consider it normal.

my 2c regarding FSD and the conversation. For me the value of FSD will be immense (when it actually comes). What I have done to 'pay for FSD' is give Tesla 10k in the form of its shares. I bought additional 10k worth of shares the day I picked up my Model 3. When FSD is released in Australia and its vastly better than current iteration of whatever we have (for auto park which doesn't work 90% of the time, lane change in Melbourne which will never have enough gap to go through, summon which is more useless than the tidal app), I will sell the shares that I bought with 10k to pay for FSD.

we know that the stupid backward ass regulations will not allow 'autonomous' vehicle to exist in the near future. We can barely do the legal speed limit without getting pinged or being pulled over for overtaking an obviously slow moving police vehicle (story for another time)..

my 2c regarding FSD and the conversation. For me the value of FSD will be immense (when it actually comes). What I have done to 'pay for FSD' is give Tesla 10k in the form of its shares. I bought additional 10k worth of shares the day I picked up my Model 3. When FSD is released in Australia and its vastly better than current iteration of whatever we have (for auto park which doesn't work 90% of the time, lane change in Melbourne which will never have enough gap to go through, summon which is more useless than the tidal app), I will sell the shares that I bought with 10k to pay for FSD.

we know that the stupid backward ass regulations will not allow 'autonomous' vehicle to exist in the near future. We can barely do the legal speed limit without getting pinged or being pulled over for overtaking an obviously slow moving police vehicle (story for another time)..
Ah mate...you don’t overtake a cop car...🥺

You can argue that the price of Tesla stock is high at the moment but the cost of FSD is low....
But I do agree that no legislator, outside of California, will legalize Robotaxis...

Reactions: Wol747
Still happy to wait for FSD, when it lands on these shores it will be better than it is now.

Opinion from someone who should know: “They have no idea how hard FSD is. Only path to success imo is hardcore real-world AI software with dedicated NN inference acceleration ASICs in car, multibillion dollar NN training supercluster and 10+ billion miles of vehicle data. Good luck.”
From this article: Full Self Driving – Elon Musk Sheds Light On Tesla's 'Only Path' Forward

At the end of the day everyone must make their own judgement on what they think the value of something is.

Nah there is plenty of proof out there , only your post is opinion.

1. Actual historical FSD price increases
2. CEO of company disclosing this
3. Only a brain dead person can not see that if something gets better -> it’s value will rise

My tesla has clearly gotten better (although not the voice recognition) over the last 4 years, yet its value has dramatically decreased and adding fsd will not get me any more at sale (it goes for free). The entire market must be brain dead then, and the resale market doesn’t deal in opinion.

Full Self Driving is just a term used to describe optional convenience features
That's where we disagree.
You think Full Self-Driving is a marketing term describing convenience features. I have always thought it to be a genuine representation that the car will be fully autonomous.

We could run a poll if you like.

When you paid $10,100 for Tesla's "Full Self-Driving" did you think you were paying for:
a. A car that would be capable of full self-driving, or
b. Optional convenience features, possibly almost all of the driving tasks, at some point

Reactions: Wol747
Only a brain dead person can not see that if something gets better -> it’s value will rise
Only in isolation.
If something gets 2X while the competitors get 3X its value will fall, even though it's better.

I suspect the value of FSD will fall in the long term. The hardware cost certainly will fall, and once the software is solved by more and more makers, and all FSD platforms become equivalent then the cost of software will also fall.

Reactions: johnchidgey