Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've been waiting years and years for fsd, and still zip, nada. Not even offered a beta test...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you paid $10,100 for Tesla's "Full Self-Driving" did you think you were paying for:
a. A car that would be capable of full self-driving, or
b. Optional convenience features, possibly almost all of the driving tasks, at some point
Or

c. An investment in a new technology knowing that, like all new technologies, it may or may not succeed.

Your call, no one else's.

As I’ve said before, I regarded the concept of Robotaxis as a humorous example of Elon’s ambition...but I bought it so that I could get the most technologically advanced safety features available on a car in my price range...with the promise that as I get older the car will get safer

Reactions: pilotSteve
Nice analysis, but that doesn't quite address the jokers who bought a new Tesla about 6 years ago with the promise that it had the hardware for full FSD and that it was essentially coming soon.

But you know, what really irks me is not the time it is taking. It's the, for lack of a better word, choose one:. (discrimination, racism, geographically challenged, unimportantness, inequality)... Australia just doesn't count. How come we don't get invited to beta test? Are we not as sophisticated? We paid the same money!

Why was the option for fsd offered to the Australian market if we are going to be denied the same opportunities to fsd updates and beta programs? And it's not as if they came clean with their advertising and said something like, "Fool. You can pay for this if you want, we'll take your money. But you will not, I repeat 'not' get fsd as if you are a US citizen. You lot are second class citizens. You're money ain't of course. But you guys are. You don't get let in. But thanks for your support and welcome to the Tesla family. Your current rank is doghouse. You might get invited to some picnics if your lucky, but don't expect any wedding invitations."
FSD at $4200 on a $300k P100D in 2017 was worth a punt. I've got it on both my cars and have had the FSD ECU upgrade already (I had to ask), and features have been added over the 5 years of ownership. I'd put FSD in the "nice to have" category having used it for 100,000 km in the X and 50,000km in the S.

Would I pay $12k on my Plaid replacement cars on order, assuming they ever get here? Not so sure it is worth it TBH.

Expect local Tesla prices to increase dramatically given recent pricing pressures. There were 2 price rises last week in the US. Yes, 2 in a single week, quite significant on S & X.

If you really don't want to drive yourself, and you want a car that drives itself in a most mundane manner, obeys all (most) the rules, available right now, with no wait time, for "FSD" price or less, with just as scary intervention thrills as "FSD", and annoys other traffic sometimes as Autopilot/"FSD" does... buy an old Volvo and hire it's cap wearing driver. When you want to go for a drive, DRIVE your Tesla.

If you really don't want to drive yourself, and you want a car that drives itself in a most mundane manner, obeys all (most) the rules, available right now, with no wait time, for "FSD" price or less, with just as scary intervention thrills as "FSD", and annoys other traffic sometimes as Autopilot/"FSD" does... buy an old Volvo and hire it's cap wearing driver. When you want to go for a drive, DRIVE your Tesla.
Daily commuting is mind numbingly boring and in Melbourne, very time consuming. Anything that makes that easier and more comfortable is welcome. After 5 years and 150,000kms with FSD equipped Tesla's my experience is "FSD" does that. Is it worth $12k though? Probably not at this stage.
As for the Volvo commentary and FSD shortcomings, it doesn't take long to recognise its shortcomings, use it appropriately and override it in situations where you know it won't cope. IMO the problems with perception of "FSD" are due to the name and Elon's ridiculous claims of its capabilities since day one. It isn't anything close to autonomous as the "Full Self Drive" moniker and the spruiking suggests. More like very advanced cruise control that is better than anything else you can buy ATM.

FWIW I've never had a Phantom intervention or a situation that I would class as scary or unexpected. With experience and recognition of the capabilities it really isn't an issue in my experience. Expect it to drive itself and leave it to its own devices and your experience will be patchy.

Or

c. An investment in a new technology knowing that, like all new technologies, it may or may not succeed.

Your call, no one else's.
It's not an investment, it is a product they are offering, then not delivering within a reasonable timeframe. I'm not expecting to make money on the thing.

If I go to a hamburger shop and pay for a hamburger, and there's a sign saying "Our burgers are worth the wait, but they take a while" I think "fair enough, I suppose that means 20 minutes instead of 5, but boy-oh-boy it's going to be a good burger!".
6 years later if they tell me they are still working on the burger I don't think "well, I took a risk on that investment, silly me!". I think "I've just been shafted by a burger joint!". :)

Daily commuting is mind numbingly boring and in Melbourne, very time consuming. Anything that makes that easier and more comfortable is welcome. After 5 years and 150,000kms with FSD equipped Tesla's my experience is "FSD" does that. Is it worth $12k though? Probably not at this stage.
As for the Volvo commentary and FSD shortcomings, it doesn't take long to recognise its shortcomings, use it appropriately and override it in situations where you know it won't cope. IMO the problems with perception of "FSD" are due to the name and Elon's ridiculous claims of its capabilities since day one. It isn't anything close to autonomous as the "Full Self Drive" moniker and the spruiking suggests. More like very advanced cruise control that is better than anything else you can buy ATM.

FWIW I've never had a Phantom intervention or a situation that I would class as scary or unexpected. With experience and recognition of the capabilities it really isn't an issue in my experience. Expect it to drive itself and leave it to its own devices and your experience will be patchy.
You (and some) understand the limitations, use it appropriately, take the wild claims with a pinch of salt and made a decision on value. However, many have been sold the dream by Elon (despite the fine print excuse) without any critical thinking and won't see or believe anything else. Yes, call it the old "EAP", not "FSD" until it is - if it ever is.