Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've been wondering what it looks like to drivers behind me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dynamic brake lights
A new phrase for me - I'd never heard that before, but I do put on my emergency blinkers if decelerating quickly to a stop in an unexpected place (for instance because of a road block on a highway). I'm in Canada and I don't know if we have dynamic break lights automatically......Obviously, I need to start paying more attention to my brake lighting.

A new phrase for me - I'd never heard that before, but I do put on my emergency blinkers if decelerating quickly to a stop in an unexpected place (for instance because of a road block on a highway). I'm in Canada and I don't know if we have dynamic break lights automatically......Obviously, I need to start paying more attention to my brake lighting.
I think dynamic brake lights are a good idea, but they have to be done correctly or people will just get desensitized to them like they do regular brake lights. I think that's what the NHTSA is working on.

That being said, I have a license plate frame with a small accelerometer in it and flashing lights on the sides of the frame that activate when braking hard.

You can zoom in on the pic of your car on the screen just like you would a picture on your phone to make it easier to see. It automatically zoom back out after a few seconds.
It's oh so quiet .... then KBANG! Whilst worrying about the car behind, I hit the car in front😊. No not for me. I will have faith in the Y's ( wise) brake lights and keep my eyes on the road. Guess I'm just getting too old for multi- tasking.

It's oh so quiet .... then KBANG! Whilst worrying about the car behind, I hit the car in front😊. No not for me. I will have faith in the Y's ( wise) brake lights and keep my eyes on the road. Guess I'm just getting too old for multi- tasking.
That doesn’t work for me. No matter what I do, the image only gets smaller. No biggie, I’m not sure I’d want to get that distracted from my driving anyhow. Thx tho.

Personally, I wish they'd turn on much earlier than .1g. I'm constantly worried about being rear-ended because the brake lights arent on.
Eh, a lot of ICE cars, especially high compression motors with manual transmissions, can engine brake more than the deceleration required to trigger the brake lights. You don't really hear about those guys getting rear ended

I cant tell you the logic, however I can tell you that teslas (especially new drivers like yourself) end up looking like they are brake checking people all the time, If the car is slowing down enough to notice as a driver, the brake lights are probably on.

Have someone follow you in another car, and have that person following you have another passenger in the car to legally use their cellphone to video you as you drive around the block a couple times, then marvel at HOW OFTEN the brake lights come on.

You cant slow down appreciably without the brake lights coming on, and if you are someone who pulses the accelerator when they drive ( a LOT LOT LOT of people do this and dont even know it), instead of holding the accelerator at a constant pressure, then you are constantly speeding up, then braking (with brake lights) repeatedly.
Do the brake lights come on during phantom braking? If we asked Tesla would the answer be " What phantom braking?"
Reminds me of that old lawyerly sophistry joke:
"So, please tell the court when did you stop beating your wife?"😊

I thought I was driving very smoothly & no brake checking effect. Then I installed this Wolf rear view mirror w/camera. Driving around last night, I could see when the brake lights came on and holy-moley, I'm a brake checker! Guess I gotta improve my act.

FWIW, I initially installed the camera INSIDE the rear hatch window to avoid rain & snow on the lens. Turns out the glass is tinted too darkly and the image in the mirror was as bad as the Tesla mirror. Then, I had it mounted above the license plate. Much better, except raindrops got on it and blurred the view. Next I'm gonna try Rain-X to see if that helps.

Also, the people at this company provide superb customer service, which has been very helpful. Now, if I can only get around the rain & snow drop problem, I'll be golden.