Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've loved Tesla for 7 years. But after years of abuse, I'm out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? The OP was complaining because Tesla started charging the $200 deductible in his ESA contract that they hadn't been charging him the whole time. i.e. he wanted to continue to get his repairs for free even though his contract says that he has to pay a $200 deductible for them.

I think it was determined early on that the terms of the ESA were not clear to the OP, and may have included repairs needed to be repaired, again, although I'm not sure of that and I'm not going back to look.

Well, I am at my 4th year, and still love the car and love the way they operate the company. Really appreciate their none stop update and offer to upgrade the vehicle. New tech. in Model 3 sure make me jealous and thinking to trade-in my old S, but, this is how company survive to attract more future customers. All I can say is good job Tesla!

I made another $40K today so far on their stock, but I'm really glad you feel that way.

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: Chaserr and croman
I probably shouldn’t respond as it looks like your intent is just to troll but you’ve been here a long time so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you’re simply not understanding.
If you have read this thread, the fact that the original post and all the complaints that follow are NOT about using an app. You seem hellbent on misunderstanding that. They are mostly about the very basics of customer service like responding to a customer or doing what they say. You seem intent on attacking anyone who is disappointed that they haven’t been able to receive that from Tesla. If you’re not trolling, I wonder why such obviously reasonable requests are so upsetting to you?
For good or bad, Tesla has evolved over time. Like I said already in this thread, in 2013, most service centers were empty and would love to spend time going over anything with enthusiasts. Now, people don't read the manuals, schedule service appointments for the most mundane tasks like refilling washer fluid and nitpick over things that they would have never even know to look at before all the internet hype. If they did not push servicing off onto the app, each service center would have to have it own call center to handle people asking for instruction on how to tape a magnet back on or why they get a tire warning on a cold morning. What disappoints me are the people that take a freebee or some other comped service as what they are entitled to rather than a bonus and then get mad when everything is not like that from then on. Even worse is that people that say "well I paid XXX$ for this car so they better..." like they are someone special. I have seen very few examples here where people genuinely had an issue, used the current preferred method of communication and absolutely could not get a satisfactory outcome. Even worse is that mosts of the complaints seem to come from areas where service are numerous yet the problem does not seem to be grievous enough to actually go to the service center and talk to someone face to face. They can't ignore you if you are standing right there.

I’m getting so tired of this BS where everybody has to be 100% right or they get infuriated and nasty.

if I had bad customer service experiences, anyone who said they didn’t is a dreaming, ignorant, Elon-loving, ignoramus.

if I had good customer service experiences, anyone who said they didn’t is a demanding, self absorbed, unrealistic ignoramus.

There’s some of both. This forum and in particular thread trend to the former. Of course... who does it attract? Look at the title!

The important thing is that Tesla gets scientific, statistically valid customer service feedback, learn from it, address their shortcomings, and continuously improve.

Most of the unhappy people on this thread appear to be S, X owners. As an S owner since 2012, I can agree service got less royal over time. Heck, at first when I picked up my car it would be full of swag! Who expected that to last?? The biggest changes have happened since the rollout of the 3. Yeah, that period when Tesla quadrupled their volume. Who is surprised at that??

IMO the next year will tell whether they can make their model work to achieve high customer satisfaction. Maybe 18 months, as EVERYONEs service will take a COVID hit.

will be watching CR, JD Power, etc to see. Happily keeping my cars as long as my personal experiences are satisfactory.

Meanwhile, unsubscribing here, it has become the usual carp fest.

I wrote the OP and followed it through in the hopes that Tesla would see it and that it would perhaps spark at least the beginnings of a thought of investing in doing better. If I owned a company and somebody wrote a scathing rebuke of how my company handled it's customers and it was viewed by enough people to fill an NBA arena (before Covid-19) and the majority agreed with the OP, I would certainly want to know that and certainly consider addressing the cause.

I never believed that every owner had a bad experience and certainly never hoped to convince anybody that they had. Those that are so bent out of shape and try to find where I was "wrong" for feeling this service was bad are badly missing the point. Even if only 20% of this forum agree with the premise, that would be grounds for Tesla to pay attention and affect change. The fact that it's more like 70% should be an alarm bell. We're not crazy, spoiled, in need of therapy or even wrong. That their systems may have worked for you doesn't take anything at all away from the many of us for whom it hasn't worked. If you're pleased, that's great. We're not.

For those of us who agree that Tesla really needs to improve in its service, I hope this thread at least strengthens your resolve that you, as a customer, deserve better. For Tesla, I hope you pay attention and do something about it. For the haters, I wish you the continued contentedness and happiness.

Last edited:
Is there anyone who thinks Tesla should not do a better job on consistency of operations and communication with customers?
Not one - but there are many that are offended by people mentioning it used to be better and now it's bad.

I live near two service centers. I went with the same issue to both, at one of them I got straight up lied to my face and received insanely dumb and wrong explanations from three employees while the other service center fixed my issue in a very professional manner. In this case I still can't go around saying how great their service is (as some claim they didn't have any problems over their ownership period). Even if a small number of service center are full of incompetent employees, this still needs to be fixed first, but I have very low hopes that it will be done. It's not like it'll be enough to make an internal poll, or training, or audit... they need to go deeper and most likely won't.

I've started recording my interactions with Tesla so I have proof of lies, but you make an interesting point... why not start a channel on Youtube where we just post "stupid stuff Tesla says" full of their daily lies and silly nonsense. The only thing Tesla actually responds to lately is public embarrassment, so maybe this will help create a new employee education program, or make someone realize that their massive turnover rates are the reason they have no institutional memory.

I used to know my service center staff by name. The car needed that much service - but it was good service. Now, it still needs service often, but they almost never have the same face there twice. The workplace must have become fairly hostile to create the new turnover rate, and it's probably why service got worse too.[/QUOTE]

cant wait for these cars to be out of warranty and aftermarket support skyrockets. never was a fan of dealerships and tesla isnt excluded.
this is unlikely to happen on a large scale because A) Tesla is HIGHLY secretive of there technology so the software diagnostic tools are not likely to hit the mainstream, it will have to be guys like Rich Rebuilds,Gruber Motors and others in this forum that tinker. B) there is just not enough volume of teslas to warrant a lot of places

I thought I would come back to give a bit of context. I don't call it abuse as the title. Would define as very frustrated.

I don't expect free service. Not great service. Just good. Not one to quibble about the per hour rate. I can change a tire. Doesn't mean I would do a good job. I would much prefer competently trained service technicians work on my car. However. I expect my car to be returned to me not requiring additional service or time to correct.

My negatives listed below. Notice none of them include cost for me as a complaint. For many of us it is time. Everyone's time is valuable. There is a limit on time for all of us. So I love my cars, but have become totally frustrated with the company.

1. Panel gap fender and rocker panel. Fender was cut during fix. As was rocker panel.
2. Rocker panel arrived. Painted wrong color
3. Rocker panel installed. Installed backwards
4. Warranty headlamp. Messed up Xpel. Redo fender.
5. Install 72 amp charger at 48 amp. Software was for 48. Car wouldn't charge post software update failure. Drive to Toledo. Told me I have to pay for tow if it runs out of juice. Let car sit at 0% for 3 days before work on it. Told me they were sorry they didn't do it right.
6. Window regulator replacement. Done without telling me. Tint on every window with scratch down middle. Left dirt in window. Didn't realize they had a light tint.
7. Wanted a battery fluid flush at my expense. Said it was done verbally. Not listed in service invoice. Manager calls back 2 days later. Sorry it wasn't done.
8. Lost my FSD upgrade. Spent hours and hours on about 30 emails to find it. Finally fixed. No one would call me. Not once. It really annoyed me.
9. Broken Louvre Door. During warranty could not duplicate. 5k later. Yeah Louvre door is broken. We didn't run a thermal test it looks like last time to see if it worked.
10. My favorite. I had to beg Tesla to take $1083 from me. My first Model 3 windshield was on the house. They said you are all set. I looked the SC advisor in the eye and said what? Yep you're done. I said no I am not. I am paying for this. I had to mail a check to Fremont accounts receivable. Just idiocy.

I pay for my service visits. Not a whine. I just think of a restaurant in the terms of how I describe Tesla. The front of the house looks great. Back of the house is not consistent. Which means the outcomes are not consistent when it comes to both sides of the sale. This will be fixed, but someone at Tesla should start asking some hard questions sooner. Gone are the days of John McNeil. Hopefully someone will step in to that space. Currently it is unoccupied in my thought.

Reading your post it all sounds so relaxed! I suspect some of the frustration energy is not coming through here!

I really see it through both eyes. So I am indifferent, and watching this unfold. I understand what Tesla is going through, but the message to the end user is not consistent. Consistency is the only thing that matters with customer service. Sales must however set the level of expectations for what that service entails. Set it too high.... Is it Lexus lattes and carpet shampoo, or car that works and is ready to go with no extras. I don't claim to have the answer of what Tesla needs to provide in the level X. Yet the idea that people line up for the product and will forever and ever is not a thought process that I subscribe to. Consumers are very fickle. They can drop you before you hear the click of the phone hanging up.

Tesla is HIGHLY secretive of there technology so the software diagnostic tools are not likely to hit the mainstream
Massachussetts law requires them to release their tools whenever the bill goes into effect (next year?). Right To Repair is strong there, and it's going to leak out of the state. If Tesla was smarter they'd probably just get ahead of it and stop fighting owners on simple stuff the industry has had for 100 years like "repairing their own cars."

But maybe that's the problem, Tesla doesn't really believe we own our cars do they?