Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've loved Tesla for 7 years. But after years of abuse, I'm out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put a deposit on a Model S over a decade ago. I bought a Signature model (one of the first 1,000 MS made) and became an outspoken evangelist for the company. For the fist year, it was a whirlwind romance and I probably sold a dozen+ cars myself and Tesla treated me like a member of the family. A few years in, things started to get rocky as Tesla got more and more busy but I understood. 100,000 owners vying for its attention made for a different dynamic. But then the Model X and eventually the model 3 came into the picture and Tesla started to be more distant and more cold. At first it was just a lack of personal touch but over time, it became neglect.
Now, its an outright abusive relationship. Tesla literally doesn't pick up the phone (this is not a cute relationship analogy- they don't pick up the phone). They discontinued the "owner experience" group (they used to address owner issues) because... who cares? They cut out the loaner program. They lied constantly ("we're increasing the loaner program! We're building a new service facility just for Model 3! We're selling features we can't deliver!") . They started charging $200 "deductible" for issues that are covered by warranty (after 7 years of not doing so and never making it clear it was even a possibility). I wrote a plaintive email into the great void of "[email protected]" as a last hope that somehow Tesla cared enough to at least lie to me about all this. No response at all.
Tesla, which started out with customer service akin to Apple had slowly devolved into a company with customer service worse than Spectrum (or any other monopolistic company). I guess somewhere along the way they realized that treating customers well was not its best strategy to keep its stock price high. Any resources that had been put to serving customers was reallocated to sales. The lie they tell that they are "trying" is as insulting as a spouse telling you they're "trying" not to cheat. Trying is as simple as investing in customer service (or not divesting what was already in place).
If you've been a Tesla owner for more than 5 years, I can't imagine that you too haven't felt the same neglect and abuse.

I absolutely hate Tesla. I love the car but hate the company. And that is awful. Feels like saying I hate an ex-lover because I truly did love this company for years. I learned to love electric cars and I'm hopeful that some company that still prioritizes customers will make a great one. Otherwise, I may just be stuck with an ICE car because as much as I love electric, I refuse to be treated like crap. Tesla should be ashamed of itself for letting its customers down and for shaming its own product in the process.

I’m sorry to hear of your issues, no excuse for that kind of service. My experience has been the exact opposite, purchased my first Model S in 2013 and my Model X in 2016, I have not had very many problems but when I do my Service Advisor gets it fixed. I mostly email him and he responds within a couple of hours, they have taken care of all my issues and I have never been lied to or put off.

Sorry to hear that. What exactly have they done to you so you feel this way? I haven't had any bad experiences with Tesla even though I've utilized the local SC a number of times for warranty fixes, none of which I was charged any fees. They even threw in a free brake cleaning when I had to return to have a bad alignment redone. So far I'd say they are on par with other local dealers with the exception of being able to call a human being prior to the service.

Sorry to hear that. What exactly have they done to you so you feel this way? I haven't had any bad experiences with Tesla even though I've utilized the local SC a number of times for warranty fixes, none of which I was charged any fees. They even threw in a free brake cleaning when I had to return to have a bad alignment redone. So far I'd say they are on par with other local dealers with the exception of being able to call a human being prior to the service.

Well, there you go. You haven't been charged for warranty fixes. I wasn't for years, and then I was. What is it, Russian Roulette? And saying the service was great other than not being able to speak to a human being is like saying the food was great other than the glass in the omelette.

Well, there you go. You haven't been charged for warranty fixes. I wasn't for years, and then I was. What is it, Russian Roulette? And saying the service was great other than not being able to speak to a human being is like saying the food was great other than the glass in the omelette.
Yea right one could kill you the other one just gets you mad.

I'm starting to suspect that Tesla will pay a high price for its approach of using existing customers as its primary marketing tool and if Tesla doesn't find a way of fixing the rot quickly, every evangelist could soon become an aggressive detractor. It's almost becoming evident that Tesla just used the loyalty referrals to buy the right to use owner reputations to sell cars as an expedient mechanism to get rapid growth, only to dump them when no longer needed. In my opinion, its owners are actually part of Tesla, and Tesla has forgotten that! It is self harming by turning its back on its (not very distant) roots.

It's so sad and frustrating to see things going this way. I think there are still pockets of excellence at some service centers, but there really is no feeling of corporate loyalty, trust or respect towards previous owners.

For new owners, probably won't matter. I don't feel much corporate love from Renault as a Renault owner! I doubt many Mercedes or BMW owners feel much corporate love, but at least some dealerships understand the need to stroke clients' egos and nurture relationships.

Communication and maintaining relationships are critical things and in Tesla's current phase it seems to have lost sight of this.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate Tesla. I love the car but hate the company. And that is awful. Feels like saying I hate an ex-lover because I truly did love this company for years. I learned to love electric cars and I'm hopeful that some company that still prioritizes customers will make a great one. Otherwise, I may just be stuck with an ICE car because as much as I love electric, I refuse to be treated like crap. Tesla should be ashamed of itself for letting its customers down and for shaming its own product in the process.

Sadly, I think the poster is right. The good news is things like this can be fixed, the bad news is they won't be until Tesla have some serious competition .. and if they dont fix it THEN .. well we know what happens in that case.

One thing I can add after visting the Service Center in Amsterdam yesterday is that I learned how things go inside Tesla. The root cause of my visit isn't important, but this is what the Tesla employee there told me:

I'd really like to help you, but in order to do so I will need to create a ticket to your staff in the US. They'll probably think: 'Why should we do anything? It's this single customer in the Netherlands....'

I have mixed feelings about Tesla as well. I love both our Model S, but I can't say the same about the company.

Kinda understand your viewpoint. When I purchased my S in 2016, it was as if the red carpet was being rolled out. Had a few issues that were addressed right away and was always able to contact someone when needed at the SC.

When I Picked up the 3 in 2018, I noticed that there was an inherent push for the customer to figure things out beforehand. Didn't have many overarching concerns with the 3.

When I moved on to the X last year, it was like the fobs were tossed at me and I was sent on my way. While I was already a savvy owner (didn't really need to be guided on the vehicle), I could certainly tell that the customer service experience isn't even an afterthought anymore.

Love the vehicles and plan to continue supporting, but they seriously need to go back and QC the customer service program. As others have already pointed out, they have a monopoly on the electric market, but when they don't...

I guess it must be a regional thing. My local service center still has Tesla loaners and communication though the app is timely and concise.
Exact same scenario here for me in Oakville, Ontario, Canada.

Just yesterday I had my car "Uncorked" and the service was excellent! Communication was timely and there were no disappointments or surprises.

Last edited:
I've heard this repeatedly, for years, and I believe it's all true and experienced bits of it on the fringes. I have a 2012 Model S.

I am, however, fortunate to be in Portland, OR and the service center here has always been fantastic. Yea, overworked employees, but the quality of the interactions has been high. I'm sure some folks have horror stories about the service center here, but my experience has been good. I attribute a lot of that to Jason Stout who was, in 2012, the _only_ service guy. Wonderful person. They've got dozens of employees now, at least. The guy has to be a millionaire from options at this point, but last time I was in Jason was still there, still working with customers. Still exuding his calm, no nonsense approach to things.

I'm getting a Model Y for my wife, but if I weren't in Portland I might seriously reconsider.