Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've loved Tesla for 7 years. But after years of abuse, I'm out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the kind of thing that really upsets me. I get the reasons why. Why would Tesla spend any effort to help you not have to give them money while they are accepting responsibility for you doing something they have no control over.

I guess in your case, it's up to you. If you know how to do the job, just do it. Epoxy sounds best solution in my mind, and if it were me I would weigh the pros and cons and take the plunge and fix myself. You are clearly no worse off than paying Tesla. (tongue in cheek)

But the result rests on your shoulders, not theirs.

Super annoying there is no trust / connection with customers as that is what builds for their next sale. Costs them very little. Especially when you consider what they must throw away in questionable (un justified) good will just to shut up a troublesome customer.

I’m not asking Tesla to accept responsibility for me fixing the door. I was just asking for what adhesive they recommend.

Actually, I got two emails after my post. The first was from the department that sent the estimate, asking me to review and approve the estimate. I replied to the estimate, stating I did not want anyone coming to reattach the magnet (I am at a higher risk of the virus due to cancer) and just wanted to know the adhesive to order. I also asked why I would have to pay approximately $200 when my ESA clearly indicated payment was due for only the first occurrence and I’ve had the charge port replaced 5 or 6 times (per my paperwork) already because the charge port door would not stay closed. Turns out, in the past, Tesla replaced the entire charge port when the door would not stay closed. However, rather than replacing the whole charge port as in the past (and which I always thought was a waste of good material), they will now simply reattach the magnet to the door. Thus, they say it’s a repair and not a replacement, and the deductible is due. It doesn’t bother me that much about the cost (after all, if one can afford to buy the car you should be afford to afford the repairs). It’s not the money itself that irks, it just feels like a sleazy way to get more money from a customer by saying it’s a repair of an item this time and not a replacement of that item.

I also got an email from the service center that did the annual checkup on my car some months ago. They are located several states away from where I am now, but it was the only service center email address I could find by searching my past service invoice emails. They gave me the information to use gorilla glue (which I happen to have where I am confined at the moment) or epoxy, although they said it is 50/50 whether it will hold forever and doing the repair (as opposed to doing a replacement) under the ESA is only warranted for one year. I have not checked whether this is true for the terms of my ESA issued many years ago.

Last edited:
I’m not asking Tesla to accept responsibility for me fixing the door. I was just asking for what adhesive they recommend.

Actually, I got two emails after my post. The first was from the department that sent the estimate, asking me to review and approve the estimate. I replied to the estimate, stating I did not want anyone coming to reattach the magnet (I am at a higher risk of the virus due to cancer) and just wanted to know the adhesive to order. I also asked why I would have to pay approximately $200 when my ESA clearly indicated payment was due for only the first occurrence and I’ve had the charge port replaced 5 or 6 times (per my paperwork) already because the charge port door would not stay closed. Turns out, in the past, Tesla replaced the entire charge port when the door would not stay closed. However, rather than replacing the whole charge port as in the past (and which I always thought was a waste of good material), they will now simply reattach the magnet to the door. Thus, they say it’s a repair and not a replacement, and the deductible is due. It doesn’t bother me that much about the cost (after all, if one can afford to buy the car you should be afford to afford the repairs). It’s not the money itself that irks, it just feels like a sleazy way to get more money from a customer by saying it’s a repair of an item this time and not a replacement of that item.

I also got an email from the service center that did the annual checkup on my car some months ago. They are located several states away from where I am now, but it was the only service center email address I could find by searching my past service invoice emails. They gave me the information to use gorilla glue (which I happen to have where I am confined at the moment) or epoxy, although they said it is 50/50 whether it will hold forever and doing the repair (as opposed to doing a replacement) under the ESA is only warranted for one year. I have not checked whether this is true for the terms of my ESA issued many years ago.

After I read back my post I felt it came across badly. Sorry for that.

I totally understood your valid concern and absolutely you should be able to get a helpful response, which it sounds as though you now have.

I was trying to convey the difficulty for a business that takes the approach of Tesla to tell someone to do anything other than what their procedures dictate without the staff member concerned being at risk of being held responsible if something goes wrong.

I'm sure a dab of well mixed epoxy would last as long (probably longer) than what you started off with.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT_EE
In a nutshell: old customers are a liability. Tesla made a business decision that combines the worst of two worlds: a business that already has your money and feels no need to ensure a repeat customer, and then assumes future sales to the iphone demographic that has a psychological need to belong to something greater than themselves, no matter the quality of the product or service. Tesla is not the first company to adopt this model, as evidenced by the tech graveyard of the early 2000's and the US auto "graveyard" in 2007. I'm enjoying their stock valuation as we speak, and as long as I can make money owning their stock, I will, and may decide to bet on good news in tomorrow's report. Their stock values certainly didn't rise due to the quality of their yellowed screens. Owning a second Tesla branded car? Not likely.

As for my replacement screen installed August 2019 that has now yellowed, their text reply say they are only taking safety related issues at my closest CS. I asked/texted about the CS 200 miles way, no reply.
If Tesla doesn’t want to support their old vehicles, they should release repair information to independent repair shops.

No one takes a1995 Chevy pickup ti a dealer as there are numerous independent shops that can service it for less money.

If Tesla isn’t willing to release their repair information, they should be forced to do so via legal means.

Tesla is expert at using Modern Technologies......at it's convenience and advantage.

- it uses website for ordering, so it can change it's terms, prices with a snap of their fingers. We are encouraged to take screen shots for our protection.

- Paid $2,500 April 2019 to reserve Model Y LR RWD. This configuration disappeared from their website February 2020. No explanation from Tesla. Numerous fellow customers whined in Model Y Forum (26 pages) for two months now, some contacted SC, no official response. I simply walked with my money to Chevy Bolt on March 16, use the $20,000 saving for 50 shares of Tesla at $400.

- pay 5,000.00 now for FSD. It will be ready in the future. If you are tired of waiting for years of broken promises, you can have your money back. Brilliant salesmanship.

- it could easily acknowledge your inquiry with an automated "got it, will get back with you when we have time...." but No.
You are far more likely to get consistent service for your Bolt. And if that dealer’s service sucks, there’s usually another one not too far away.

Reactions: Mobster
After I read back my post I felt it came across badly. Sorry for that.

I totally understood your valid concern and absolutely you should be able to get a helpful response, which it sounds as though you now have.

I was trying to convey the difficulty for a business that takes the approach of Tesla to tell someone to do anything other than what their procedures dictate without the staff member concerned being at risk of being held responsible if something goes wrong.

I'm sure a dab of well mixed epoxy would last as long (probably longer) than what you started off with.

I didn’t take it that way. I want Tesla to succeed, as I own two cars and a fair amount of stock. But it’s the change in the way Tesla operates that has me concerned for the future once they get competition from other car manufacturers.

Under both warranty and ESA. The failure of the door to stay closed seems to occur on about a yearly basis. This is the manually closed door, not the automatically closing charge port door.

Then it depends on the language of the ESA on if a new deductible would be required or not. If I recall correctly it was based on issue, not repair vs. replacement. So I think it should be fixed for free under your ESA, but it would depend on the language of your ESA. (I understand you don't want the exposure of them fixing it, which is a different issue.)

Why bother the service advisors, you are already a member here, it was a 5 second google search to find:

Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Was May timeframe for your 2.0HW, but certainly that moved back to later in the year.
You will be contacted when it's ready as per the thousands of posts on this subject.

and

Only one known 2.0HW upgrade to FSD HW3 has been done to date, and that is posted :
Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade

"Per thousands of posts". Ok I can hear your sarcasm and envision your sneer.

From the link you provided: "Tesla cars with Full Self-Driving Capability and Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 are eligible for a complimentary upgrade to the FSD Computer. Schedule your installation from the Tesla app by selecting 'Schedule Service' > ‘Accessories' > ‘Upgrades & Installations’ and add ‘FSD Computer Upgrade' in the description."

From the Service Center: "2.0 cars are ineligible at this time." I just received the text.

So "eligible" and "ineligible" may mean the same to Tesla. You know, like "Flammable" and "Inflammable".

Tesla doesn't really believe we own our cars do they?

This is actually true. Had a mobile tech working on my car (swapping the headlights) and after he took the bumper off I took a picture with my phone, of the front end. He told me Tesla instructs them to tell customers not to take pictures, because of proprietary technology or some similar non-sense. Again, I was taking a picture of my car only! Couldn't believe he actually asked me that.

tell customers not to take pictures, because of proprietary technology

Errr.... so you aren't allowed to take the bumber off yourself and take a picture?!!!!! What's the difference?.....

Ahhh.. The difference is that either the tech is touching your car or you are touching your car. They don't want to risk any evidence of their tech doing (or not doing) anything, just in case it can be used against them!

This is actually true. Had a mobile tech working on my car (swapping the headlights) and after he took the bumper off I took a picture with my phone, of the front end. He told me Tesla instructs them to tell customers not to take pictures, because of proprietary technology or some similar non-sense. Again, I was taking a picture of my car only! Couldn't believe he actually asked me that.

I'd definitely call them out. Reverse engineering is sacred stuff and Elon knows he hypes Sandy Munro now. If it was proprietary they're gonna need a patent. You can trade secret things you sell to the public.

Make sure to check the terms of your ESA, as I think most of them say you have to report the issue, and get it fixed, as soon as you are aware of the problem. (i.e. you aren't allowed to save up a bunch of items to have fixed all at once.) I'm not sure how they would know you saved them up to deny you, but I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't coming.

I think some versions of the ESA even state that the deductible is per issue, not per visit. (This may be another case where Tesla isn't properly charging people for the ESA work yet.)

The idea to warehouse issues was actually suggested by the service rep! Hm. I better go check. Or better yet dump the Sig. Had over 50 issues. Right door still doesn't work right.

When my local service was selling the ESA they also suggested warehousing issues. Said deductible applied once to all issues I brought at one visit. I'm still within the 51k mile window for purchase but they are doing my MCU2 upgrade so that reduces the incentive since that is the big ticket certain failure for me that ironically came up right after 50k recently.

RIVIAN --- PLEASE READ THIS!!!

Couldn't agree more with SigGuy. Absolutely zero response to ANY ISSUES. The clowns in Denver are the reason I sold my last Tesla, not to mention my model 3 left me stranded 2x within the first 2k miles. I was a Tesla owner in 2013 and bought a model 3 in 2018. I have owned 3 Tesla's. I must say, when I FIRST had my mode S P85+ the service was the best in the industry. The employees not only cared, but had smiles and proudly showed happiness, on the phone and in person. NOW, they never answer the phone, and when you go in person the employees act like they are busy, which to be fair to them, they are busy, on Instagram and watching YouTube videos on their cell phones. Also you will not find a smiling, happy, customer service person. Not a one. Couldn't agree more with others that if you get it back with less damage, it's a win. They damaged my mode 3 and refused to pay for it until I filed a small claims case. Even reached out to Elon on several tweets and the "regional" service manager who just like anyone in Tesla corporate, had no response, not an email or phone call back. When did someone from Tesla finally contact me?? When they received the small claims case. Clown show!!! I used to defend Tesla like many others do on this tread. Believe me, Tesla will make you end up posting a message like mine eventually. Just thinking that people paid for "autopilot" full driving capability in 2017 has had me laughing for over 3 years. Elon is a German word for over promise.

I hope one day Elon realizes that customers are a finite source, keep treating them like disposable objects and one day you won’t have enough of them to run a profitable business and all this expansion of the company will be for nothing. Tesla is still viewed as a hip car company, but just wait until the millennial crowd starts to get screwed by Tesla service, it’ll turn into another “American car brand” to avoid.