Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Issue-not charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched and not found this particular issue anywhere. I've recently had problems using my J1772 adapter. There are four free chargers in my parking garage. At first, everything charges normally, then after a few days, the charger light is red, for "error. Everything seems normal on my screen - it says it's ready to charge. I check the connection. Nothing.

This has happened to three out of four chargers now. (Haven't tried the 4th, as there are usually big SUVs parked there.) My adapter seems undamaged/not melted. My car charges fine at home without the adapter. I see other EVs and Teslas charging at these machines with no trouble. So what is causing my car to always get the dreaded right light? How can I test my adapter?

I've searched and not found this particular issue anywhere. I've recently had problems using my J1772 adapter. There are four free chargers in my parking garage. At first, everything charges normally, then after a few days, the charger light is red, for "error. Everything seems normal on my screen - it says it's ready to charge. I check the connection. Nothing.

This has happened to three out of four chargers now. (Haven't tried the 4th, as there are usually big SUVs parked there.) My adapter seems undamaged/not melted. My car charges fine at home without the adapter. I see other EVs and Teslas charging at these machines with no trouble. So what is causing my car to always get the dreaded right light? How can I test my adapter?

Any chance the station owners are limiting amount of charges at the site? As in, it sounds like you go there frequently, so perhaps they have some frequency or number of charges or something where its stopping charging because you are there too much?

I know when I left my car at an airport in the beginning of 2019, the parking garage I used had free chargers and I was allowed to park there and plug in. I was gone a week, and checked my car a few times because I was plugged in. Sometimes the car was unable to charge, and sometimes it wasnt. It appeared like they were cutting power to the chargers at some points, because they certainly were not unplugging my car.

You could also try another location, like @EVRider-FL mentioned (another location where you use the adapter).

Any chance the station owners are limiting amount of charges at the site? As in, it sounds like you go there frequently, so perhaps they have some frequency or number of charges or something where its stopping charging because you are there too much?

I know when I left my car at an airport in the beginning of 2019, the parking garage I used had free chargers and I was allowed to park there and plug in. I was gone a week, and checked my car a few times because I was plugged in. Sometimes the car was unable to charge, and sometimes it wasnt. It appeared like they were cutting power to the chargers at some points, because they certainly were not unplugging my car.

You could also try another location, like @EVRider-FL mentioned (another location where you use the adapter).
I see the same cars charging there, and it's our dedicated space, so I'm thinking that if they didn't want to charge there then the chargers wouldn't have been free. I know a friend who has an adapter, so I'll try another adapter and maybe another location if I can find one.

@RedModel3 I would sign up for one of your local EV charging providers (ChargePoint, EVgo, Electrify America, etc.) and try your J1772 adapter there. As a side benefit, you'll have other locations to charge, albeit at L2 rates, in case of emergency (like being out of range of a Supercharger) or for those times you may be parking at an airport for several days (free charging may still require an RFID tag or account with the company).

@RedModel3 I would sign up for one of your local EV charging providers (ChargePoint, EVgo, Electrify America, etc.) and try your J1772 adapter there. As a side benefit, you'll have other locations to charge, albeit at L2 rates, in case of emergency (like being out of range of a Supercharger) or for those times you may be parking at an airport for several days (free charging may still require an RFID tag or account with the company).
Good idea. But I'll also update. I finally had a chance to try out the 4th charger, since it was remarkably unoccupied. I charged with absolutely no problem, but I did lower the juice to 32 based on something from another thread. Why not, right? Anyway, everything worked, so for now, it's not my adapter.

Any updates on the fix? I’ve been having the same problem for months. I had a Hyundai Kona that i charged with a Tesla to J1772 Charger at home and until it stopped working too. Same signs of error: The red light and then it would blink red and my Hyundai app would not send a current even though it knows it’s connected. It’s a Tesla home charger that and it would Turn blue and blink

Good idea. But I'll also update. I finally had a chance to try out the 4th charger, since it was remarkably unoccupied. I charged with absolutely no problem, but I did lower the juice to 32 based on something from another thread. Why not, right? Anyway, everything worked, so for now, it's not my adapter.
J1772 EVSEs that offer more than 30-32a are pretty rare. Your charging screen should show both the charging rate and the max rate available on your screen as two numbers separated by a slash (30/32 or 32/48). It should also show the voltage. I'm asking because this behavior is a little odd.