Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JAE-1772 Charging Adapter Fried

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has this happened to anyone before? Basically, the adapter that came with my MR3 was stuck into the receptacle at a public charging station. After a few minutes, I was able to pry it out. Looks some of the connectors were fried/melted. Can I get a free replacement from Tesla? Or, is this my wrongdoing?

Attachments

• IMG_1669.JPG
    IMG_1669.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 118
Has this happened to anyone before? Basically, the adapter that came with my MR3 was stuck into the receptacle at a public charging station. After a few minutes, I was able to pry it out. Looks some of the connectors were fried/melted. Can I get a free replacement from Tesla? Or, is this my wrongdoing?

I am guessing it was nothing you did wrong. Perhaps the connector was not plugged in all the way, though I would hope it would not charge in that condition since the communications pins would not be connected.

My guess is that the public charging station has a worn/damaged pin which is not making good contact and so it is excessively heating.

I would see if the service center would swap it out for you, but I also would want to ensure your charging port was not damaged by the heat. It might also be worth having Tesla look at the logs for that charging session to see how much voltage drop was observed. I would have thought the Tesla might have detected a bad connection due to voltage drop and backed off on the charge rate.

Also, you should absolutely log this on Plugshare to warn others and contact the owner/operator of that charge station (and the charge network it participates in if it does) so that they can take it out of service and/or repair it if indeed it is the culprit.

Had the same thing happen to me last week at a free public charger that has only been installed for a few weeks, it was the other big pin in the adapter for me. I contacted the owner of the station (Volta) and they said that there have been many sucsessful charge sessions after me and I should to contact Tesla because it must be the adapter...