Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched this one a couple of days ago. Frankly I was shocked at how proud all the interviewees were at the complexity of this 'scope. I mean, if all goes well then brag as much as you like, but talking about having 300+ single points of failure as if it's a good thing just made me shake my head. I really, really, really, really hope it all goes according to plan, but man I would hate to have to rely that much on luck for everything I do.

Bummer for the Ruag team doing the clamp band fit-check, but the good news is that--at the risk of stating the obvious--the satellite is designed to withstand the shock of the clamp band releasing. So unless there was some physical damage, which I assume would have been noted in the release, this is likely just a bureaucratic exercise to calm nerves.

• Informative
Reactions: Jack6591
The transporter (CCU3 = Contenuer Charge Utile) is a trip. Its kinda like a highbay you can tow down the street. The thing drives up next to a set of external airlock doors at a processing facility, inflates some bladders to make a seal between the transporter and the building, and then they open the airlock and transporter doors to air-bearing the pallet in/out.

All in the name of "don't go horizontal".... :confused:

• Informative
Reactions: TLej and Grendal
SpaceX has spoiled us with the number of live cameras onboard the rocket.

Did you know that Olkiluoto 3 nuclear power plant cost is near same $8+- Billion as JWST, but price for TVO (owner of the plant) is only € 5.5 Billion. Both should be in service next summer.
1igcpicnso781.png