Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still new here, but not new enough to think Japan could use our own sub forum.

How about it, TMC, could you hook us up with a Japan sub forum here in Asia/Pacific?

- - - Updated - - -

Hello all:

I'll be getting my car in a week. The wall connector should be in place by then, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it yet. The power company needs to install a new meter box, and they're coming after the car.

Anyway, I'm going to need to use the CHAdeMO adaptor to get my car to the coating shop in another city. I've looked in many places for a video or instructions on how to use it, to no avail. Does anyone know a site where I can read up or watch an example? I don't know which parts go in where first (insert your own punch line ;-) ).

1. Open your charge port
2. Take the adapter out
3. Hold it between your legs
4. Tap the charger screen for instructions. Usually you need authentication by a card, CHAdeMO-charge, JCN or NCS.
5. Within 30 seconds connect the charger cable to the adapter
6. Lock the cable. Some cable automatically locks in place by just inserting the adapter, but some requires you to grab the lever very strong!
7. Insert the adapter to the Model S

Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks, Hiroshi! I have no cards. Is the new NCS card out? The last news I see on the site is from October, and it has nothing to do with the cards you mentioned to me earlier. The places I plan to charge next weekend are both sides of the Yamada SA on the Oita highway. There's one CHAdeMO charger on each side with 3 "okays" on the EVsmart app. I'm just not sure if I need a card to use it.

[EDIT]: We just called NEXCO's EV number listed on the EVsmart app and found out there is currently no charge to use the Yamada SA chargers. Plans are in the works to require some kind of card in the future, but no details are available yet.

Last edited:
Hi, Jay, yes those stations are free and do not require cards. For example Nissan dealers tend to have card based chargers and you can't use them without cards after hours. In business hours you can pay in cash.

The app should say Muryo or free of the details page.

The new NCS card does not seem to be ready yet. That's why I subscribed to NEXCO-C, CHAdeMO-charge, JCN and Toyota G-Station cards before they stop issuing...

If you encounter stations that require card authentication and there's nobody there, you could still call the number on the station or access the website to get free access code and/or pay by credit cards. If the station is managed by JCN for example,
ƒrƒWƒ^￾[—˜—p“o˜^
you can use this site to get free codes or pay.

I have a question:

Currently Japan has 3 live Supercharger stations (Yokahama, and 2 in Tokyo).

If you look at the official 2014 Supercharger map of Asia on the Tesla Motors website, then you will see that there are three locations east of Tokyo with red dots. And 2015 is less than three weeks away.

I am not sure which locations, but I guess that these three locations are:
- Hamamatsu;
- Osaka / Kobe / Kyoto;
- Okayama.

My question is if somebody can try to find out if any permits have been issued by local authorities to realise Tesla Supercharger stations somewhere in the neighbourhood of those three area's? And of course if there are any locations where there actually is construction work going on already?

It would be nice if you could actually find them, and photo's are appreciated too.

Thanks, Hiroshi. I'm back to waiting again while my car gets coated. I'll pick it up Sunday. I had a blast driving it Saturday to the detailer's. I added a post about that trip above.

I am disappointed we have no navi yet, and the lack of homelink functions surprised me. I want to be able to open my shutter from the car.

For anyone else who got the 21" wheels... I had first experience with snow on this weekend in Model S. I had been expecting it to handle at least slightly better than a "regular" car based on other reports that I had read online about Model S being very good in snow because of unusually low center of gravity etc.

Well... it was very unpleasant :/ No winter tires, just the regular performance tires. We were going ok on the flat areas in the unexpected snow. Attempted to go up a small hill and Model S dropped down to only a few km/h speed because of traction control and could hardly move at all. In the end had to carefully turn around and go 200 meters or so back down the hill, but brakes would not work well at all. Very strange, jerky behaviour, where the car would go from about 2 km/h to suddenly 8 km/h or so then slow up again. Even with fairly strong brake pressure, Model S couldn't come to a complete stop, so it was very lucky nothing was in front of us until we were safely back on the flat area.

So... my advice has to be, don't attempt to drive Model S in the snow with the 21" wheels. If you find it snowing unexpectedly, like we did, better to just park and wait or figure out some other way to get to where you need to be.

For anyone else who got the 21" wheels... I had first experience with snow on this weekend in Model S. I had been expecting it to handle at least slightly better than a "regular" car based on other reports that I had read online about Model S being very good in snow because of unusually low center of gravity etc.

Well... it was very unpleasant :/ No winter tires, just the regular performance tires. We were going ok on the flat areas in the unexpected snow. Attempted to go up a small hill and Model S dropped down to only a few km/h speed because of traction control and could hardly move at all. In the end had to carefully turn around and go 200 meters or so back down the hill, but brakes would not work well at all. Very strange, jerky behaviour, where the car would go from about 2 km/h to suddenly 8 km/h or so then slow up again. Even with fairly strong brake pressure, Model S couldn't come to a complete stop, so it was very lucky nothing was in front of us until we were safely back on the flat area.

So... my advice has to be, don't attempt to drive Model S in the snow with the 21" wheels. If you find it snowing unexpectedly, like we did, better to just park and wait or figure out some other way to get to where you need to be.

Glad no one was hurt and your Model S is still in one piece. Point noted!

Hi, Justin, Thanks for the info. 21 is summer performance tires so they won't work on snow. If you have a chance and condition permitting, you could try turning off traction control.

I've been to Minakami last week with studless winter tires, and the car was stable as a rock. Drive mountainous roads with 10-20cm snow, no problem at all.

Just got the email from Tesla Motors Japan about Navigation, and thought yay, finally, this embarrassing omission in such an expensive car - and one with such a large center screen - has been fixed!

But no, it seems like it is just an apology, and forecast that the Navigation software won't be released until this summer! (maybe 6 months away or more?!) How can this be possible...

We got the first cars to Hong Kong in July 2014, and "Navigation not until December". Now it's January and estimate has changed to "first quarter 2015".

Tesla Motors use Navigon as source for navigation, and since there isn't any Navigon for Hong Kong or Japan, I guess that is the reason. My bets are they are testing TomTom, at least for Hong Kong, as that seems to be the only one apart from Google and Waze with English navigation in Hong Kong.

ChaDeMo for any car outside of the Japanese market, is also a "coming soon" item in Tesla Motors, and has been so for about a year already.