Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JdeMO for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4 June 2018 @ 7:27am

Marius,

First, let me say that my posts are moderated here, so you may not see this response for days, or even weeks.

It’s always discouraging to read anything like your experiences with any of our products. Sorry for all the issues.

I want to be clear, however, that there is not an “updated” software set. Even if we did change software, we would not update cars that are not experiencing problems.

The CHAdeMO charger side of the software is identical to that used with the 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV. There are about 250 of those throughout North America and Europe, all in use without issue. There are 50 in Norway. There are well over 100 in California, where our company is located. The RAV4 EV is my daily driver, and I have been personally using JdeMO on 4 different RAV4 EVs that I have owned for the past 4 years. I have never had an issue.

We have many customers using the RAV4 EV for Uber service, sometimes charging 4 or 5 times PER DAY with JdeMO. I can assure you that they would be complaining loudly if there was an issue. Of course, the chargers themselves can be finicky, and the networks can be even worse!

We would have to know what specific issues there are before we could address any remedies with your unit. We have a number of these kits operating throughout California on the Tesla Roadster for years now, and none have come to me with these problems. We specifically had the cars in California installed first to test for problems. The original Roadster JdeMO installed 3 years ago (which was and remains a complete “hack job”) has been sold and is in Seattle, where the new owner uses the JdeMO regularly. It works every time, according to him. I’ve tried to convince him to upgrade all the equipment to the current production specification, but he doesn’t want to. He likes it the way it is.

The very first kit sent to Germany worked at first, and then didn’t. It had a blown a fuse (that we didn’t realize until about a month ago) in the car that supplied power to the JdeMO unit. I flew to Barcelona, Spain (where the Roadster was at the time) and swapped the entire control box. It still doesn’t work, even with a fuse replacement. Of course, both JdeMO units that were installed on that Roadster were fully tested personally by me, on a Roadster, here in California. They worked perfect then, or they would not have shipped to the customer.

So, addressing an issue with the car is something entirely different. I don’t know if there is anything in your car that could be contributing to the problem. It can’t be a fuse, or it wouldn’t fail to work once, and then work fine. We could loosen the programming for all the “time outs” related to a loss of CAN communication, which may or may not help. I suspect that there is a possible issue with any car that is not properly transmittting its CAN data set every 100ms, or if there is noise or interference that drops data. Maybe a shielded cable from the underdash CAN source to the control box would help. Currently, JdeMO has a timeout message for a loss of signal greater than 600ms.

The time out feature is the same is on the CHAdeMO charger side, however I seriously doubt that there is an issue there, since ALL the bits are identical to what we use on the RAV4 EV. We previously used two separate printed circuit boards for the RAV4 and Roadster, but now all the RAV4 kits use the Roadster v3.0 JdeMO boards.

My understanding is that the remaining 4 Roadster JdeMO kits sent to Germany have all been removed (or never installed). I asked to visit them in November 2017, after my trip to London and Barcelona, and was told that they didn’t want me to visit at all. I honestly have no idea what issues they may or may not be having.

The Henry Sharp product does not have any software, or even a microprocessor. It’s a simple, dumb mechanical device. We build similar styled adaptors for other vehicles besides the Roadster, like our JDapter Stub™, which allows Tesla charge stations located in North America and Japan to recharge J1772 / Type 1 equipped cars.

In closing, I want you to know that we don’t abandon our customers who are having problems, even if those problems are well after the warranty period. I would say that I personally take extraordinary efforts to address any cars with issues, and thankfully there haven’t been that many. But, a common theme with Roadster issues appears to be the car itself. I suspect that I could take the JdeMO unit that I personally removed in Barcelona and test it on a Roadster here in California, and it will work. I haven’t done that yet, but I will.

The RAV4 EV, and Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e also use Tesla batteries and motors, and are much more reliable than the Roadster.

Thanks,

Tony Williams
Quick Charge Power LLC
San Marcos, California

@Marius... I forwarded your post to Tony W...

He sent me an email to post for the forum...

The following is cut and paste from @TonyWilliams

4 June 2018 @ 7:27am

Marius,

First, let me say that my posts are moderated here, so you may not see this response for days, or even weeks.

It’s always discouraging to read anything like your experiences with any of our products. Sorry for all the issues.

I want to be clear, however, that there is not an “updated” software set. Even if we did change software, we would not update cars that are not experiencing problems.

The CHAdeMO charger side of the software is identical to that used with the 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV. There are about 250 of those throughout North America and Europe, all in use without issue. There are 50 in Norway. There are well over 100 in California, where our company is located. The RAV4 EV is my daily driver, and I have been personally using JdeMO on 4 different RAV4 EVs that I have owned for the past 4 years. I have never had an issue.

We have many customers using the RAV4 EV for Uber service, sometimes charging 4 or 5 times PER DAY with JdeMO. I can assure you that they would be complaining loudly if there was an issue. Of course, the chargers themselves can be finicky, and the networks can be even worse!

We would have to know what specific issues there are before we could address any remedies with your unit. We have a number of these kits operating throughout California on the Tesla Roadster for years now, and none have come to me with these problems. We specifically had the cars in California installed first to test for problems. The original Roadster JdeMO installed 3 years ago (which was and remains a complete “hack job”) has been sold and is in Seattle, where the new owner uses the JdeMO regularly. It works every time, according to him. I’ve tried to convince him to upgrade all the equipment to the current production specification, but he doesn’t want to. He likes it the way it is.

The very first kit sent to Germany worked at first, and then didn’t. It had a blown a fuse (that we didn’t realize until about a month ago) in the car that supplied power to the JdeMO unit. I flew to Barcelona, Spain (where the Roadster was at the time) and swapped the entire control box. It still doesn’t work, even with a fuse replacement. Of course, both JdeMO units that were installed on that Roadster were fully tested personally by me, on a Roadster, here in California. They worked perfect then, or they would not have shipped to the customer.

So, addressing an issue with the car is something entirely different. I don’t know if there is anything in your car that could be contributing to the problem. It can’t be a fuse, or it wouldn’t fail to work once, and then work fine. We could loosen the programming for all the “time outs” related to a loss of CAN communication, which may or may not help. I suspect that there is a possible issue with any car that is not properly transmittting its CAN data set every 100ms, or if there is noise or interference that drops data. Maybe a shielded cable from the underdash CAN source to the control box would help. Currently, JdeMO has a timeout message for a loss of signal greater than 600ms.

The time out feature is the same is on the CHAdeMO charger side, however I seriously doubt that there is an issue there, since ALL the bits are identical to what we use on the RAV4 EV. We previously used two separate printed circuit boards for the RAV4 and Roadster, but now all the RAV4 kits use the Roadster v3.0 JdeMO boards.

My understanding is that the remaining 4 Roadster JdeMO kits sent to Germany have all been removed (or never installed). I asked to visit them in November 2017, after my trip to London and Barcelona, and was told that they didn’t want me to visit at all. I honestly have no idea what issues they may or may not be having.

The Henry Sharp product does not have any software, or even a microprocessor. It’s a simple, dumb mechanical device. We build similar styled adaptors for other vehicles besides the Roadster, like our JDapter Stub™, which allows Tesla charge stations located in North America and Japan to recharge J1772 / Type 1 equipped cars.

In closing, I want you to know that we don’t abandon our customers who are having problems, even if those problems are well after the warranty period. I would say that I personally take extraordinary efforts to address any cars with issues, and thankfully there haven’t been that many. But, a common theme with Roadster issues appears to be the car itself. I suspect that I could take the JdeMO unit that I personally removed in Barcelona and test it on a Roadster here in California, and it will work. I haven’t done that yet, but I will.

The RAV4 EV, and Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e also use Tesla batteries and motors, and are much more reliable than the Roadster.

Thanks,

Tony Williams
Quick Charge Power LLC
San Marcos, California

• Helpful
Reactions: Roadster
Thanks for your quick response Tony through AEdennis
Maybe you are right and it has to do with the software or the type of car in Europe.
So I am hoping we get a lot of reply from other users in Europe so we can determine what is causing this.
As said before David appears to have no issues with the 3.0 upgrade on software.
Marius

The JdeMO on my 2.5 Sport has worked flawlessly over the past year in Southern California. However, I’m using the same DCFC unit virtually every time and not testing different chargers like @Marius and others in Europe. Additionally, @TonyWilliams performed the installation himself on my vehicle so, presumably, it's about as "correct" an installation as one can get.

@samcarney, any updates to report from your past year of use?

Reactions: eljf and dhrivnak
I have experienced as well that most ABB chargers work.
I can live with the fact that some chargers seem to fail but I have experienced that particular chargers in combination with the Roadster sometimes work and sometimes fail. That makes the whole long distance travelling a gamble. I also managed to get a Circontrol charger South of Bremen in Germany to be permanent in state of error due to the fact that I tried to charge here. 2 days before that I have charged successfully at that same charger, but 2 days later it failed.
I also had a situation that 1 time the JdeMo locked driving after charging. My VDS screen showed strange numbers and dots and I had to disconnect the JdeMo from the CAN bus to be able to continue driving. The green light stayed on at the switch after disconnecting the power cable from the charger.
So I hope to get a lot of response to see what we can learn. Maybe it has to do with my Roadster being a 2.0. Guido in Delft the Netherlands with a 2.5 has the installement done a few weeks ago so he will share experiences in the coming time

I tried different start-up sequences like first make myself known at the charger and wait for the charger to ask for connection and the other way first connect the car to the charger and make myself known after that, but that did not change the chance on success.

Dear all,
2 weeks ago I made a road trip from Rotterdam to Lyon and back. I used the route through Belgium Ardennes, Luxembourg, Nancy, Dijon.
In general it is impossible to cross France with the JdeMo in combination with my Roadster 2.0 EU version.
First of all my car did already 375.000 km and the CAN is down to 108, meaning standard charge ends at 205 km. This means that Chademo charging is reducing power already when reaching 125 km. From 30 until 125 km I charge with 40kW and further reduction to 20kW at 180 km. Below 30 km Chademo does not work due to power limited warning light which blocks the JdeMo.
Practically this means a stop every 150km.

In Belgium there is a new network of Efacec chargers by Allego type QC50 funded by European Union and they all WORK. So crossing Belgium no problemo.
In France you find rather old DBT chargers free for use at Auchan and Ikea(so mostly occupied by local EV owners who want to charge for free). They all show a start initialization, everything goes well and start charging and shut down after 1 second. I have experienced the same with old Ecotricity chargers in UK. So I had to switch to 14kW AC charging.
At Lidl (but not many to find and sometimes only 20kW) you find ABB chargers and they work.
At the Autoroute a new program of Sodetrel chargers is installed of manufacturer Cahors. First one works, second one same process as old DBT chargers, 3rd one works, and 4 th fails with same process as old DBT chargers. Is there a logic in this?
In general all ABB chargers in every country I have travelled WORKS, so if you can look for this manufacturer.

As stated in my last post I have learned that all DBT chargers in France do not work with my Roadster and that the Ecotricity chargers in UK of manufacturer DBT most of the time work.
This week I made a road trip from Rotterdam to Birmingham via Antwerp, Gent, Bruges, Calais, Channel tunnel, London and via M1 to Birmingham. A route I have done multiple times.
I have found that DBT chargers that used to work with my car now fail!!!
They all show the same problem, everything works and charging stops after 1 second. Every time I first do a reset of the car and a reset of the JdeMo before charging. That is what I have learnt as the greatest chance of success.
All the following chargers worked with my car 3 months ago and now they do not

Euro tunnel Calais 2 chargers fail
Thurrock services 3 chargers fail
Newport Pagnell 2 chargers fail
Northampton Services South 2 chargers fail.

This meant I have to drive the whole way in UK on A.C. charging
Back from Birmingham:
Toddington services North 2 chargers fail

And now comes the strange part: charger from around 4 years old at South Mimms worked! The first DBT charger that I find on this trip that works. Continue to Stop24 services M20 also worked?

This all means that Ecotricity network in UK is not to rely on and it is better to get a charge card for the polar network which are chargers of different manufacturer.

One last thing to report:
I have stated that Efacec QC50 in Belgium all work. When I charged at Motorway Antwerp to Gent at Kalken north thiswas the fact. When I returned 2 days later and charged at Kalken South this charger of same manufacturer and type and model and year fails in the same way as stopping charging after 1 second.

I have run out on options to try to find a reliable route with working chargers.
I follow all the right procedures to start charging and try multiple times but can only conclude until now that ABB at the Fastned stations in NL always work, Tritium always work, Efacec new models most of the time work.

• Informative
Reactions: eljf and Mark77a
DC Fast chargers in the USA:

ABB - 120-125 amps - used by eVgo, Greenlots and others, very dependable, Swiss company

Blink - 125 amps (CHAdeMO only) - Blink / Car Charging only, complete garbage, will be bankrupt soon (built in Arizona)

Bosch - 60-63 amps (CCS only) - ChargePoint network, manufacturerd by French company IEF

BTC - 48 / 50 / 100 amps - used by eVgo and others (built in Philippines / final assembly California)

Nissan - 115 amps (44kW max - CHAdeMO only) - used by eVgo, ChargePoint, and others (built by Sumitomo in Japan)

Efacec - 125 amps - used by Greenlots and others (Portugal)

Signet Systems - 125 amps - used by Greenlots and others (200 amps in other markets, built in S. Korea)

Aerovironment - 125 amps (CHAdeMO only) - almost exclusively used by the AeroVironment network - West Coast Electric Highway (discontinued, built in California)

Tritium Veefil - 125 amps - used by ChargePoint (built in Australia, only liquid cooled unit)

Eaton DC Quick Charger - 50 to 120 amps (CHAdeMO only) - networks vary (built in Japan and / or South Carolina)

Some others, all CHAdeMO only:
Aker Wade Level III Fast Charger (discontinued long ago, Michigan)
Andromeda Power ORCA-Mobile (very few, Italy / California)
Delta EV DC Quick Charger (Taiwan)
Epyon Power Terra 50.1 Charge Station
EVTEC Public Fast Charger
Fuji - 63 amps (Japan / New Jersey... discontinued)
Nichicon Quick Charger (Japan)
JFE (Japan)
Schneider Electric Fast Charger (France)

Some Networks in the USA:

1) AeroVironment - (Oregon and Washington states only, J1772 and CHAdeMO only), “West Coast Electric Highway”, $20 per month, free unlimited charging. Fantastic and mostly dependable, well placed through those two states only. Does not currently work with 2018 Nissan LEAF.

2) Blink / Car Charging - CHAdeMO only, may not have J1772 available, - absolutley the worst equipment on the planet. All paid for with over $100 MILLION in tax payer funds. Only about 60 working DC fast charge units nationwide, and that's on a good day. This company will once again be bankrupt in the very very near future, but they are advertising for investment right now!

3) ChargePoint - no monthly charge, individual charge station owners determine rates. Largest network, by far, for J1772, but only a few hundred DC fast chargers

4) EVconnect - small but growing, DC fast charging plus J1772

5) EVgo - monthly plan available, charging time may be limited if charging more than thirty minutes. Quickly spreading nationwide with about 1000 DC fast chargers with J1772. Well done “app-like” control from smartphone.

6) Greenlots - an "up and comer", no monthly fee. DC fast charging only. Well done app.

7) OPconnect - very small, J1772 and DC fast charging

8) SEMAconnect - no DC fast chargers yet, J1772 only, primarily at businesses

Some Networks in the USA:

8) SEMAconnect - no DC fast chargers yet, J1772 only, primarily at businesses

With my roadster, I've had very little luck with the SEMAconnect's J1772.
I've tried 3 in the East coast (VT, NH) and none worked. I wouldn't rely on that network for charging a roadster!
(sorry if it's not really Jdemo related as they don't have any yet, but your list is nice/exhaustive and should probably become a reference list on some wiki page)

I have installed a Jdemo kit on my White Roadster Sport 2,5
It is not installed 100% as the kit is made
This i the 5th time i do a installation of a Jdemo
So i is well familiar with the kit

DSC_5394.JPG

The connector is behind the licences plate, that have get some hinges that i have 3d printed

DSC_5396.JPG

The connector is place in a holder that are 3d printed

DSC_5405.JPG

The holder that a are for the box and splash shields are cut down in 2 pieces fore easier assembling
I save lot of time to this

DSC_5408.JPG

Test of funktion and it worked well

DSC_5389.JPG

The licens plate in normal position

But i can do them for the files for US too, if you measure the plate height (within 0,1 mm)
U.S. plates are standardized at 12 in × 6 in; 30 cm × 15 cm.

Separately, I'd love to know if anyone's considered working on a solution for the standard 2.5 diffuser install position. Would be great to try and do a 3D printed version with an elegant flap + hinge.

you_doodle_2017-07-04t05_06_56z-jpg.234150