Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jim Kenzie at it again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I’m getting smoother and definitely enjoying using one pedal. I’m getting limited Regen in short trips at our current 10-ish Celsius temps. That’s normal, right? How long a trip would it take for full Regen to come back assuming I don’t preheat?

Heating the pack and cabin zaps your battery. So short trips have horrible efficiency ~50% if you're lucky. Long trips gets up to 70+ percent depending on outside temps, eventually higher once Summer temperatures arrive.

I put my summer tires back on with the regular rims yesterday and my range is all the way back to where it was last summer. Sooooooo happy! :)
Is it the tires or the temps impacting range? I took off my snows and put my summer setup on when it was still pretty cold and efficiency didn't change. When temps increased to about 8C+, that's when I noticed a difference. With my staggered setup on RWD with 275/35R19 tires in back, I've been averaging 136Wh/km for the last 3 days on a 40km daily commute. Not sure how this compares to others but when it was cold with the same tires, consumption was around 180Wh/km.

Is it the tires or the temps impacting range? I took off my snows and put my summer setup on when it was still pretty cold and efficiency didn't change. When temps increased to about 8C+, that's when I noticed a difference. With my staggered setup on RWD with 275/35R19 tires in back, I've been averaging 136Wh/km for the last 3 days on a 40km daily commute. Not sure how this compares to others but when it was cold with the same tires, consumption was around 180Wh/km.

With the Nokians and generous cabin heating, I was running 200-250Wh/km. Now using the stock rim and tires (no aeros) it's hovering around 150-180 Wh/km. Outside temperature definitely is the major factor. In the evening after the car's been sitting in the sun, the commute home is ~130 to 150Wh/km. When it warms up it'll drop some more along with me putting on the aero covers.

I commute 110km per day along the 401W/E from Scarborough to Mississauga.

Here's the data I keep for fun :)
Model 3 kW Log

Both. More temperature, but with the tires I'd imagine it's both the tires and the rims, but more the rims. I don't track my energy usage, but I display my range as a percentage. Last summer it was a solid 10% to work and 10% back, 20% for the day if I didn't go anywhere. When the temperatures dropped this went in the range of 35-40% total. When it got warmer recently it came to the range of 22-23% total, and when I got my summer tires with aeros put back on two days ago, it's back to the 20% for the past two days.

Last edited:
Thanks. I’m getting smoother and definitely enjoying using one pedal. I’m getting limited Regen in short trips at our current 10-ish Celsius temps. That’s normal, right? How long a trip would it take for full Regen to come back assuming I don’t preheat?
yeah, when the battery is cold it won't regen right away. Winter means you'll probably need a while to heat the battery. Short commute means you'll likely never get into regen especially if you park outside in canada. Not a big deal though as it should be fine from April to October. Sometimes it's funny in fall when this first happens and you have no regen as you're so used to using it as your brakes. It will cause mild panic for a few milliseconds and then you'll stab the brake pedal for the first time in 6 months.

Reactions: Struja
yeah, when the battery is cold it won't regen right away. Winter means you'll probably need a while to heat the battery. Short commute means you'll likely never get into regen especially if you park outside in canada. Not a big deal though as it should be fine from April to October. Sometimes it's funny in fall when this first happens and you have no regen as you're so used to using it as your brakes. It will cause mild panic for a few milliseconds and then you'll stab the brake pedal for the first time in 6 months.

It's wild how regen becomes the norm and then when you lose it, the driving experience changes dramatically.

It's wild how regen becomes the norm and then when you lose it, the driving experience changes dramatically.
Yeah, that was my problem with it. I'm sure my car had just been supercharged before delivery, and it was sitting in the sun, so I had full regen when I picked it up. I really haven't had it since, so being a new owner, I wasn't sure if I wasn't experiencing an actual problem with the car.

Hoping to do a reasonable trip this weekend that should give the car a good workout though...

Yeah, that was my problem with it. I'm sure my car had just been supercharged before delivery, and it was sitting in the sun, so I had full regen when I picked it up. I really haven't had it since, so being a new owner, I wasn't sure if I wasn't experiencing an actual problem with the car.

Hoping to do a reasonable trip this weekend that should give the car a good workout though...

are you on strong regen? Check that.

Yup, it is. Sometimes I get the message sometimes not, but I always have some dots. It feels fairly strong to me at best, but of course I don’t really have the points of comparison.

Not what I mean. There's two options in the settings, strong regen and light regen. Those may not be the exact terms, but they're similar. Go through your settings till you see it, that one makes a big difference.

30-40minutes in the morning. 1 hour plus in the evening. GTA houses too expensive XD. Edit no waifu to speak of - got any leads? lmao

Is Scarborough that much cheaper than Mississauga though? Also you can go further west and it would still be closer.

I moved from Markham to Oakville and my commute to Mississauga is half as long.

Although it's your life and you know best. Just giving my two cents.

Is Scarborough that much cheaper than Mississauga though? Also you can go further west and it would still be closer.

I moved from Markham to Oakville and my commute to Mississauga is half as long.

Although it's your life and you know best. Just giving my two cents.
Orangeville and Mono are growing like mad. Mostly folks who work in Mississauga (like me) or Brampton. 50% or more discount from Brampton house prices, 30-40 minute commute. Shelburne is the new Mississauga (LOL)

Not what I mean. There's two options in the settings, strong regen and light regen. Those may not be the exact terms, but they're similar. Go through your settings till you see it, that one makes a big difference.
Just want to close this off. I took the car out for a lengthy drive up Lakeridge Road in Durham Region (essentially a non-401 series highway even though it's not designated as such). It was only 5 degrees for the trip, so while the "regen dots" never went away completely, the number of them did go down quite a bit over the drive. The regen itself felt fine.

I guess this is one thing that could do with a better explanation at delivery, particularly for deliveries in cool/cold weather.

Thanks to all who've helped.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck